• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Walmart in Marrero on Lapalco

marrero jeff

imported post

Well i had my first bad experience open carrying. Here i am minding my own business doing some grocery shopping for a party my friends and i threw this weekend. As we are walking into the store all seemed fine and no one gave us any problems until we went to check out. I was confronted by the store manager, and 2 very disgruntled LEOs. They asked me to walk outside with them which i did. Once we were outside on of the officers got quite annoyed with me and proceeded to tell me it was illegal for me to even have a handgun, at 19, much less carry it and have one in the chamber. So then we had a 45 minute discussion aout the legalities of the issue and once he saw i wasnt some stupid kid trying to be a "gangsta" and that i was half intelligent and respectful, he finally called his Sgt. who informed him that i was perfectly legal in everything i was doing. The Sgt. returned my weapon and then began to apologize for the inconvenience but he said that even though it is legal for me to do it, open carry at my age isnt one of the smartest things to do. Now granted, i was wearing a pair of jeans and a black t-shirt but i dont think i looked particularly threatening.when will people learn that everyone with a gun isnt out to go on a m urderous rampage?

barf

imported post

Congrats Jeff, it sounds like you handled yourself very well. If we had a monthly award for being able to "man up" during an encounter with LEOs while OCing, you would win it for this month.

Can you elaborate on the discussion you had with the manager and LEOs? What types of things did you bring up citing the legalities of OC and carrying at your age?

Summit_Ace

imported post

barf wrote:
Congrats Jeff, it sounds like you handled yourself very well. If we had a monthly award for being able to "man up" during an encounter with LEOs while OCing, you would win it for this month.

Can you elaborate on the discussion you had with the manager and LEOs? What types of things did you bring up citing the legalities of OC and carrying at your age?
You did handle yourself very well. I know I am going off the wall here but give me a little leeway. Would it be considered impersonating an officer if one had a official looking badge made that upon closer inspection read " Open carry is not against the law"? At a distance it would resemble a law enforcement badge, and most people would think you were a LEO and not give you a second look. I know it sounds corny, but what do you think? Don't bash me, it is just a thought.

marrero jeff

imported post

Sorry, i can see that was sort of vague. The manager and LEOs approached me and we all went outside. The manager started by saying that I was making his employees uncomfortable and so he had to alert the JPSO. I said, while i was sorry to disturb anyone, i was breaking no laws and told him the Walmart policy of abiding by all local and federal laws. That is when one of the LEOs and i had a lengthy discussion(the iother just sort of stood there and looked ugly). He asked for my ID and upon finding out i was only 19, he then began to accuse me of illegally owning and carrying a handgun. So i told him that in Louisiana it is perfectly legal to own and carry a handgun at the age of 17. He then said Louisiana law cannot supercede federal law. So i told him the federal law simply prohibits me from purchasing a handgun for a licensed dealer. I informed him the gun was a gift from my older brother and then he got semi-irrate and asked if i wanted to be "gangsta", and why i thought i had to carry a gun. I simply replied " why do you carry a gun officer?" He then shut his mouth and proceeded to call his Sgt. who luckily arrived pretty quickly because i was getting pretty irritated at this point but i still kept my cool. His SGt. then backed me up and returned my weapon (after complimenting me on it) and said it wasnt necessarily a good idea for someone my age to carry even though it was legal and i went on my merry way and got a good ribbing from quite a few of my friends who saw me having a discussion with the LEOs with my weapon on the hood of the car.

marrero jeff

imported post

It was the Walmart on Lapalco Blvd. in Marrero on the Westbank of jefferson parish. It was around 2pm saturday and no i dont remember thier names. Now that i think about it, i shouldve gotten them and thier badge numbers and reported them.

sraacke

imported post

marrero jeff wrote:
Sorry, i can see that was sort of vague. The manager and LEOs approached me and we all went outside. The manager started by saying that I was making his employees uncomfortable and so he had to alert the JPSO. While we talk about contacting LE agencies and having them trained on the law this is a good example of a business manager who needs to train his employees on the legallity of the law.
I said, while i was sorry to disturb anyone, i was breaking no laws and told him the Walmart policy of abiding by all local and federal laws. Good job. Keep in mind that while Wal-Mart has said they abide by local and State laws they also say that they let their managers decide how to run the stores and that means if they want to ban carrying at that store they can, so always cooperate with the managers wishes at the time.
That is when one of the LEOs and i had a lengthy discussion(the iother just sort of stood there and looked ugly). He asked for my ID and upon finding out i was only 19, he then began to accuse me of illegally owning and carrying a handgun. Was this Steven Segall? Was he a fat guy with a ponytail? I had to ask.
So i told him that in Louisiana it is perfectly legal to own and carry a handgun at the age of 17. He then said Louisiana law cannot supercede federal law. So i told him the federal law simply prohibits me from purchasing a handgun for a licensed dealer. I informed him the gun was a gift from my older brother and then he got semi-irrate and asked if i wanted to be "gangsta", and why i thought i had to carry a gun. I simply replied " why do you carry a gun officer?"Well handeled.
He then shut his mouth and proceeded to call his Sgt. who luckily arrived pretty quickly because i was getting pretty irritated at this point but i still kept my cool. His SGt. then backed me up and returned my weapon (after complimenting me on it) and said it wasnt necessarily a good idea for someone my age to carry even though it was legal Thanks for offering your unsolicitated opinion officer. ... and i went on my merry way and got a good ribbing from quite a few of my friends who saw me having a discussion with the LEOs with my weapon on the hood of the car.
Well done and congrats on knowing your rights and doing such a good job. Next time try to get names of the officers who detained you so that a follow up letter can be set requesting that this officer be trained in the relevant laws.

charlie12

imported post

yale wrote:
marrero jeff wrote:
I said, while i was sorry to disturb anyone, i was breaking no laws and told him the Walmart policy of abiding by all local and federal laws. Good job. Keep in mind that while Wal-Mart has said they abide by local and State laws they also say that they let their managers decide how to run the stores and that means if they want to ban carrying at that store they can, so always cooperate with the managers wishes at the time.

Where did you get the part about the managers decide how to run their store?

From everything I've read on other gun forums the managers must go by Corp. rule. One put up a no gun sign and was almost fired.

sraacke

imported post

charlie12 wrote:
yale wrote:
marrero jeff wrote:

From everything I've read on other gun forums the managers must go by Corp. rule. One put up a no gun sign and was almost fired.

Actually I think it's been posted somewhere here on OCDO. I'm going to have to dig for it.

Jeff, another thing to do is ask for a report number from the officer before they leave. This will help to get a copy of the report and any FOIA stuff which may follow.

XD-GEM

Campaign Veteran
imported post

yale wrote:
charlie12 wrote:
yale wrote:
marrero jeff wrote:

Actually I think it's been posted somewhere here on OCDO. I'm going to have to dig for it.

Jeff, another thing to do is ask for a report number from the officer before they leave. This will help to get a copy of the report and any FOIA stuff which may follow.

It's not so much that the managers decide how to run the store, but they are given the discretion to ask a gun carrier to leave if it causes concern among any customers or employees. In other worlds, Walmart wants to have it both ways; they claim to support gun rights, but will quickly accede to someone's complaint that they are scared by the OCer.

BTW, well handled marrero jeff!

Masher

imported post

Great job nicely handled.

My Ex is the store manager of the Hammond Wal Mart and when dropping off our kids to her a few weeks back I asked if she has had any issues with open carrying in her store and she said no. TheWal Martchain of command at the store levelis as follows. Store Manager is over the entire store next youusually have two Costore managers one is over the food side and the other is over the general merchandise side. Next you have Assistant managers that are over several departments depending on size but they float throughout the store. Next Department managers over the individual departments. TheStore Mangers name will be posted on the wallin the customer service area and it's also on everyreceipt. If you have an issue with a store manager look on the wall under their name and you will find the District Managers name andnumber to their district office. If you have an issue with them callBentonville headquarters and ask for the Regional Vice President.