• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Are we ready to be attacked by our lawmakers?

johnny amish

imported post

As open carry gains support in Wisconsin I can't help but to wonder when will our lawmakers get the nerve up and try to regulate us like they do with everything else? As time goes on and more of us are able to get the word out and show the public that we are not the ones to be afraid of, they will try to suppress our rights. I hope that all of us are ready to respond to that. OC is making some real progress in this state, I hope it will become commonto see someone oc out in public. Any thoughts? Carry on my friends.

Shotgun

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
imported post

Well if OC continues to gain acceptance maybe there will be no great urge for them to try to regulate. But if they do, we have a reasonably straight-forward state constitution on our side presenting a considerable obstacle to oppressive legislative attempts. We can never become complacent. Freedom haters are always biding their time and waiting for an opportunity to strike. Perpetual vigilance is required.

Meanwhile we need to consolidate our gains and push forward.

IA_farmboy

imported post

I agree, there is a considerable hurdle in the state constitution protecting the right to carry weapons, and a few court cases to back it up. It will be difficult to regulate open carry but they might come at it from another angle. They might try regulating firearms and ammunition sales. If they can't regulate the gun owners then they will regulate the guns.

They might try requiring every handgun to have a license. "Oh no, were not regulating gun ownership we are making sure the GUN has a license." Which is nonsense of course. If they find a gun without a license are they going to fine the gun? Put the gun in handcuffs and march it off to jail? Good luck putting a gun on the stand in court. I have a feeling that the gun will invoke its right to silence. :p

Now that open carry has been upheld as constitutionally protected take nothing less than having legal protections for concealed carry. If they are so scared of open carry then demand that concealed carry have the same protections under law.

Also remember that it is easier to change your elected officials than it is to change your elected officials' mind. Vote out the bums that voice even a hint of restricting your rights to self defense.