• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

If you had to chose between weapons

ArcticF7SnoPro

imported post

I travel out west to the National Parks in the Rockiesevery summer and backcountry hike. I have always carried bear spray and my bowie knife since that was the only legal thing a guy could do, but now that I can carry into the parks I am in a debate. I have thought about carring both guns, but really I would think that would clumbsy up the situation if I had to quick draw and decide at the same time. I have two particular weapons to chose from. One being a 44 Mag Super Blackhawk. Obvious being that it is a single action, 6 shot and the most powerful selection of the two. Second being my XDM 40. Obvious being a little down on power compared to the 44 mag, but given a rapid fireminimal aim situation along with that I carry this with a mag extension with 26 total rounds.Would you take the powerful 6 shots or the capacity of 26?If Ichose my 40 it is going to be loaded with FMJ's with a JHP thrown in there every fourth or so round. They are going to be either 180 or 165 grain bullets. I like the 165's because of the FPS, but the 180s seem to have better penetration. The 44 is probaly going to have 230 grain JSP's. Any suggestions on bullit type other then what I am thinking? Also a shotgun or rifle is not an option. Realistically hiking 15 to 20 miles while gaining and desending elevation just isn't the answer to lug a long gun around let alone the attention it would bring in a National Park.

Ca Patriot

imported post

If you are truely want to protect yourself from 4 legged threats in the wild you will need a rifle.

If you want a half measure of safety then carry a handgun. In reality it will only be protecting your nerves and not your safety.

I have spent much time in Alaska and Montana and California hiking, fishing and climbing. I would say 99% of people dont carry anything in California and Montana

The only place where I think it is necessary to carry a gun is Alaska.

As far as weight goes, I dont believe a rifle is unreasonable to carry in the wild. I believe my 12ga weighs 8.8 lbs and my 30-06 weighs the same. A handgun weighs about just under 3 lbs I believe. If you are truely concerned about your life then the 5 extra pounds should be worth it. Remember that the average overnight hiker is going to carry about 35 - 40 lbs so if you need to save your life then find a way to cut some weight out of your overall package.

If you arent an overnight hiker then I would think a rifle should be an acceptable amount of weight to carry.

So in conclusion, its my opinion that a rifle is the only thing strong enough to reliably save your life from a 4 leg threat.

marrero jeff

imported post

if you're worried about bears and such a rifle is the way to go. a .30-.30 lever action should be plenty enough to take down anything you encounter at relatively close range(10-25 yards), especially with multiple shots.

ArcticF7SnoPro

imported post

My biggest concern about a rifle or shotgun is the reaction I would get from the crowd. I would take my 308 semi auto and run a combination of ballistic tips and FMJ's, but I have seen many people take down big game with a 44 mag and would think with something charging you especially at close range it would be easier to swing a handgunfaster and if the first shot didn't kill the animal you are going to have a real hard time shooting a bear at point blank with a rifle. At least if there is a chance that I was holding onto the weapon after the intial attack then I could still keep sending rounds into it.

marrero jeff

imported post

well your arguement does have merit, if thats the way youll go then a .44 magnum with a 4 or 6 inch barrel in a shoulder rig and some speed loaders would be a good choice as well

slowfiveoh

imported post

What about a Judge? Should be small enough to fit your criteria, but powerful enough to stop anything you come across that decides it wants to make you lunch, or simply kick the crap out of you.

The only bad side to the Judge is it's just a 6 shot, and as revolvers go, not terribly quick to reload. Then again, the positive is that the thing is likely to never fail you. Ever.

I agree with Ca Patriots assessment on this one. I have spent a lot of time in the wilderness (Sierra Nevada mountain range) in California, and I have only ever come face to face with someone I would rather not have one time. The thunkity-thunk of my dirtbike and a good twist of the wrist was enough to scare it away, head down, tail low behind it.

Before I revved, the thing was definitely looking me over. I was only 8 years old at the time. Maybe I was just the right kind of bite size morsel it was looking for. :D

Truth be told, you really need a rifle for what you are describing. However, since you say no, I suggest a .357 or better, minimum. A longer barrel would be nice too, but that probably goes against the "light weight" approach.

You need to get off the board, go to a gun shop or show, and look around. Talk to some hunters and ask what they are carrying for those "close encounters".

I am pretty sure a fair bit will say a revolver in .357 or better, but I am not a hunter, and would not know.

Good luck!

slowfiveoh

imported post

Tawnos wrote:
The judge is barely enough for humans, much less wildlife
I was thinking with .410 in the wheel. However, I guess I wasn't thinking about how that could possibly be nothing more than cruel to some larger game.

I am not a hunter, and do not profess to be.

frenchdl

imported post

Bear spray is many times more effective than a gun in most
"unexpected" bear encounters. More effective than bear spray is learning how to deal with Grizzlies in the backcountry. You say you go every summer and if this is the case you should really familiarize yourself with the proper course of action in a bear attack. Pick up some trusted literature on the subject and you will see there is not to much mention of carrying guns, instead knowing what to do, and how to avoid bears is much more important.

Stay safe, and if your seriously concerned about bear attacks leave the gun at home, and learn the "true" methods of staying safe with bears. If you concerned about animals of the two legged variety, then carry on my friend.

Ole Man Dan

imported post

I carried a 4 5/8" SBH in.44 Mag while Fly fishing & Back Packing in the Snake River area and on into Yellowstone and the Grand Tetons.
I had mine loaded with 265 Gr.WFN Hard-cast.
From Cody,Wy. on North into Montana,and West to Idaho,
I found folks generally a lot more accepting of firearms.
I used a 'Long Hunter' holster by Simply Rugged.

ArcticF7SnoPro

imported post

Four years ago in Glacier National Park my Wife and I encountered a Black Bear right before the trail head split going up to the Chalet on the Mount Brown trail.The Bearstarted snapping its jaw and stomping its front paws on the ground. We were making noise and trying to makeourselfs known before coming up to that point. Sometimes it happens and you startle an animal. It was behind a fallen tree and some brush so we couldn't even see it until it was interacting with us.The urge to run was strong, but my GrandFather worked for the forest service and he taught me alot about surving in the wilderness and dealing with animal encounters. His words echoed through my head telling me you have to stand your ground and do not run. We stood there for what felt like an eternity with this thing standing only 15- 20 yards away. I had my spray ready and so did the wife, but luckily it did its dance and turned off and went into the woods.

I will still carry my Bear spray with my gun beside me, but I want to know till my dying breath that I have exhausted every effort to protect my family from any threat and even though it would be my last resort, it still is an option that could be the difference between life and death. I am not as concerned about a bear attack, but that seems to be what everyone assumes you want to carry for into the wilderness and yes I do want the ability to take one down with my weapon if the spray runs out or doesn't work. Even out there crimal minds lurk and not to mention other creatures that do not react to a stand off like a Bear would. I have probably gotten closer to Bears then most people would ever want to get to in the wilderness. Cougers, Wolfs and Badgers are my bigger concern. The picture of the Brown Bear was on the way down from Iceberg lake as we were heading up to Ptarmigan Pass. Approximatly 20 yards away. We also encountered a Grizzly and its two cubs on the way to TheWall on the backside of Logans Pass.

onlurker

imported post

If possible, I would get the XD rechambered in .357 sig. Not because this is suppose to be .357 mag power in a semi-auto load, but because the round is so freakishly loud that it'll make a more effective noise deterrent then most other semi-auto rounds. That there is about the only effectiveness you're going to get with regards to safety from predators, semi-autos just don't have the punch of a good magnum or rifle.

Chalk up one more avid outdoor enthusiast who carries, but the reason I carry isn't for four-footed predators, it's more for those dangerous animals that happen to get around on two feet. That and firearms make great survival tools.

ArcticF7SnoPro

imported post

Those of you worried about a Moose in the wild, this is from the trail on the way to Inspiration Point in Grand Teton National Park. I was only 10 feet away from him and at no timedid Ifeel the need to shoot it.

slabside

imported post

In all honesty, I'd probably opt for a hi-cap mag in .45, probably the full size xd holstered weak-side.

Strong-side would be a 500 mag. that should take down whatever charging animal that has gotten too closethat hasany size to it.

I don't think I would need a rifle, because anything at scope distance: A) might not even know you're there, and B) will probably give you enough time to find your escape route.

...oh yeah, and plenty of extra mags and ammo! :celebrate

Don Barnett

imported post

Ruger Redhawk in either .44 Mag or .45 Colt.

If you go with the .45 Colt you will not be able to find the high power ammo as the cartridge was introduced as a Black Powder round; therefore the ammo manufacturers make "anemic" rounds so that someone does not blow up a gun by putting a high power load in an old revolver.

You will have to find specialty ammo or reload...and the high power loads are formidable...and rough to shoot. I have a New Model Blackhawk with a 4 5/8" barrel and it hurt to shoot the heavy loads; and I had to put different grips on the gun.

The .44 Magnum should be adequate and you can get the revolver with a 5 1/2" barrel.