• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

CC on private property questions.

goforlow

imported post

Brad_Krause wrote:
Class A misdemeanor; fine not to exceed $10,000 or imprisonment not to exceed 9 months, or both. See 939.51(3)(a[highlight= blue; color: white; font-weight: bold;])

Brad Krause
Instructor, Wisconsin Civil Rights Advocate, and someone who still plants trees armed

I thought that the fine/punishment for CC in WI was a class "D" misdemeanor and a $250 fine.

Brad please show more proof of your statement or can someone else prove otherwise.

Thanks

Tree_Planter

imported post

goforlow wrote:
Brad_Krause wrote:
Class A misdemeanor; fine not to exceed $10,000 or imprisonment not to exceed 9 months, or both. See 939.51(3)(a)
I thought that the fine/punishment for CC in WI was a class "D" misdemeanor and a $250 fine.

Brad please show more proof of your statement or can someone else prove otherwise.
Thanks
Not legal advice:

The Wisconsin Statute I referenced- 941.23 -is the concealed carry prohibition. It does not have an exception allowing a property owner to give permission to conceal, and states the type of crime for violating the statute.

Many people believe the courts and legislature have erred, in part because Article 1 Section 25 grantees the right to carry firearms for any lawful purpose; the action of concealing a firearm, in and of itself, does not make a person a criminal (941.23 excepted); criminals by definition break the law and sometimes conceal; and firearms prohibitions have a tendency to create defenseless persons which leads to victimization.

Because there is no mechanism that allows a person to conceal, and given clothing styles, climate, and many other conditions concealing is practical, and there is no justifiable reason to prevent law abiding citizens from actions that do not infringe upon others rights, there is a strong argument that 941.23 is unconstitutional.

Brad Krause
Instructor, Wisconsin Civil Rights Advocate, and someone who still plants trees armed

Last edited:

DRG

imported post

The way I see it is this.

If you CC ANYWHERE and are caught by the police, you will probably get arrested. You will "probably" get charged with a crime and given your chance in court.

It doesn't look like the law is clear at all at this point, and will take someone bringing a case to a high court or our state house getting off their butts and doing something about it.

If you don't feel like going through the hassle and expense of a long drawn out court battle, don't CC and get caught. YMMV

bigdaddy1

imported post

As much as I have been harking that CC in/on your private property (home or business) as listed in the State v Hamdan cite may be exempt from the CC law currently, I don't condone people concealed carrying anywhere else. I have CC on my own property and will continue to do so as the Supreme Court states it is not illegal. However outside that narrow margin is still illegal.