• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Alabamaopencarry.com planning a booth at the next Montgomery & Dothan Gun Show!

Dianosis

imported post

I was going to announce this when I launched the web site but couldn't wait. I have decided to make arrangements to setup an Open Carry booth at 2 upcoming Gun Shows:

Jun 19-20 Montgomery, Alcazar Shrine Center

and

Jul 3-4Dothan National Peanut Festival Facility

I already have some ideas for the setup but I'm open to suggestions and volunteers to help out, especially from the Pratville division ;)

I'm estimating just the booth rentals and a nice banner to be around $200.00 bucks, I'm not asking for your money, I'm doing this regardless, but I wont turn down donations :) Let me know you guy's thoughts!

Update: Right now the Montgomery show is sold out for vendors so unless something changes and a spot opens up, we can't do this Montgomery show. Maybe the next one, I'll try an get us penciled in early. Thats pretty wild it's still 3 months out and sold out. Or maybe we can try and hand out some flyers or do something outside the show.

The Dothan show is set, he has me penciled in and I just have to send in my form and money. So at least we got one of them. I'm also gonna check on getting a nice banner and some other things together, to have a nice professional presentation. As always, thoughts, comments, ideas, welcome.

DJDD

imported post

Sounds great man. Hit me up and we'll plan a few things out. If we're gonna be printing stuff out I might be able to pull some strings and get the tri-folds printed professionally for a good price.

Edit: Also, its Prattville.......:celebrate

FedFirefighter

imported post

That is an awesome idea, and I would love to help any way I can. I'll look at my work calender to see if I can make either show or hopefully both.

Monkeytown

imported post

Dude, I will be in PA that weekend. However if you have a Paypal or want to meet up with the Tri-County Starbuck's OC I will make a contribution. Also, may be able to pull a shift in the booth at the Dothan show.

MT

TheKing

imported post

This will be interesting to see, they still have those signs at the front of the building during the show indicating something to the effect of no concealed weapons or no loaded weapons allowed.

Brimstone Baritone

imported post

:question::question::question:
Where are they being held? I thought only the state could regulate the possession of firearms at a gun show, and as far as I know they haven't (beyond the current statutes, I mean).

eye95

imported post

mcdonalk wrote:
:question::question::question:
Where are they being held? I thought only the state could regulate the possession of firearms at a gun show, and as far as I know they haven't (beyond the current statutes, I mean).
It is likely the gun show operators making these rules, as is their right. The gun shops we visited in B'ham last Saturday required that guns be unloaded. The owner of the Gun Shoppe in Montgomery told me he didn't mind if I carried loaded, as long as I did so safely.

Private show/shop owners can and should be able to exercise their rights to make determinations about the extent they will allow carry on their premises.

Dianosis

imported post

I can only speak for the Dothan show as that's the only one that I've been to, and they have 3 things posted:

1. Your concealed permit is not vaild at the show.
2. No Loaded Guns
3. No live ammo

If I have to abide by those rules to setup a booth to get the word out, thats fine. I don't have to like it, but the greater purpose here is to have a presence there and get people educated.

For those people asking about PayPal. I want to get everything confirmed and in place before I accept anyones money. I'd just feel better about it.

Here is the gun show link with the dates and times:

http://www.gunshows-usa.com/alabama.htm

Brimstone Baritone

imported post

@eye95
I wasn't referring to private property. Of course they can set whatever restrictions they want.

Are the gun shows held on private property? The B'ham one is usually at the BJCC which, I thought, was public property (Owned by Birmingham and Jefferson County, hence the name).

eye95

imported post

In Montgomery, the show is usually at the Shrine Temple.

However, even if the show is on public property, they are renting that property and should be able to exercise the privilege of refusing to allow loaded firearms into the space they are renting for their private enterprise.

JMO. I am not making a statement of the law.

Brimstone Baritone

imported post

Oh, that's fine then. I actually agree with that, to the point that if I have to be disarmed or my weapon kept unloaded then the vendors should have to do the same thing. It might keep NDs like what happened to that kid in Norcross(?) from happening again.

I just don't want anyone to step in and say "It's the LAW.", know what I mean?

eye95

imported post

mcdonalk wrote:
Oh, that's fine then. I actually agree with that, to the point that if I have to be disarmed or my weapon kept unloaded then the vendors should have to do the same thing. It might keep NDs like what happened to that kid in Norcross(?) from happening again.

I just don't want anyone to step in and say "It's the LAW.", know what I mean?
I know what you mean.

If a show barred me from loaded carry, but allowed others to be properly armed, I'd be hesitant to attend that show. Do these shows do that?

Dianosis

imported post

Update: Right now the Montgomery show is sold out for vendors so unless something changes and a spot opens up, we can't do this Montgomery show. Maybe the next one, I'll try an get us penciled in early. Thats pretty wild it's still 3 months out and sold out. Or maybe we can try and hand out some flyers or do something outside the show.

The Dothan show is set, he has me penciled in and I just have to send in my form and money. So at least we got one of them. I'm also gonna check on getting a nice banner and some other things together, to have a nice professional presentation. As always, thoughts, comments, ideas, welcome.

Monkeytown

imported post

Dianosis wrote:

Sweet, I think this whole idea is brilliant, my hat's off to you my friend!! I will take a shift at manning the booth. Just let me know which day.

A few comments....We need to make sure everyone manning the booth is well versed in the law regarding open carry. I mean to the point where we can site articles of the law and court cases. Being able to spew this info will go a long way towards convincing people that we are legitimate and that OC is legal. Also, I don't know how many off duty LEO's attend these things but we may have to debate 1 or 2 to prove our point. Any debate should be kept calm and civil and not taken personally. I know I can get heated when I am discussing something I am passionate about. People just don't know the law and we are there to inform them.

I think we should have at least several copies of the Alabama Firearms Code, court decisions, etc. if not for distribution then at least for reference. Also, many, many copies of the Tri-Fold to hand out to visitors to the booth. If we can get each person attending to bring 25-30 copies of the tri-fold each, this will help to distribute the cost across multiple members.

I can't think of anything else right now. I will add this event to the Alabama Open Carry Facebook page today.

MT