• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

If there were no guns, what would you choose for home defense?

J1Nitro

imported post

If we lived in a world without firearms (pistols, or long arms of any kind), what would be your primary weapon of choice for home defense?

Baseball Bat (Wood)

mzb271_lge.jpg

Aluminum Baseball Bat

midwest%20aluminium%20bat.jpeg

Spiked Baseball Bat

bat1.jpg

Sledge Hammer

SledgeHammer.jpg

Flame Thrower

flamethrower.jpg

Hatchet

hatchet.jpg

War Hammer

tomahawk-war-hammer-90wh.jpg

Long Sword

longsword_1.jpg

Dagger

dagger-1.jpg

Chainsaw

chainsaw.jpg

Pepper Spray

Pava_Pepper_Spray.jpg

Stun Gun

stun-gun.jpg

Taser

taser1.jpg

Brass Knuckles

brassknuckles.jpg

Ninja Stars

Ninja-stars-755971.JPG

Golf Club

standard-length-golf-club-driver_-800X800.jpg

Hockey Stick

CCM%20V4.0%20Stick.jpg

Nunchucks

nunchuck.jpg

Cestus

a-forbes-detailed-views-of-a-roman-cestus-a-leather-glove-used-in-ancient-boxing.jpg

Trident

trident.jpg

Bow and Arrow

Bow_Arrow.jpg

Crossbow

photos-crossbow-xl-armbrust-twinbow-ii-1230.jpg

Great Axe

viki.jpg

Katana

japanese-swords-samurai-swords-musashi-maou-kaze-katana.jpg

Kanabo

kanabo.jpg

Spear

3-Greek-Spear.jpg

Ninjato

Practical_Pro_Ninja_Katana_2.jpg

Kukri Machete

Cold%20Steel%2097KMS%20Kukri%20Machete%20PVC%20Handle.jpg

Blowgun

BLOWGUN18.jpg

Morningstar

Klassischer-Flegel.jpg

Sai

energysaiofagena.jpg

Ice Pick

istockphoto_397201_ice_pick_awl.jpg

E Tool

gl-etool-2008.jpg

Ballistic Knife

ballistic-knife4.jpg

Staff
weapon_-_bo.jpg

Claymore Sword

2060gt.jpg

Slingshot

Slingshot.jpg

Ian

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

I pick the Katana, but only if it's old-school Samurai sharpened where they could cut a man from nose to naval.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Good heavens. Why are you guys doing replying to this?

Check the OPs post history. He posts a self-defense story on two sub-forums to which a number of other members raise suspicions, but he never replies to.

Then, as his third post on OCDO,he shows up postingsomething like30 picturesin an off-the-wallthread about home defense.

Who ever had 30 pictures in a thread here before? Who has the time to dig up 30 pictures of different weapons and copy them into one thread? Just to prompt some discussion about home defense weapons? A discussion that could have gotten underway with just a quick text list.

Brimstone Baritone

imported post

I would ASSUME that the point of the post would be to bait us into admitting that we could still defend our homes without guns. Probably with no intent of ever responding, but simply for the feeling of being 'more intelligent' than the 'gun nuts'. :banghead:

Well, get that giddy feeling J1Nitro, because YES. If all firearms were to disappear overnight, you can bet we would still find ways to protect our families. A more useful argument would be "what would you do for defense if there were no weapons?" The answer, of course, is to do what our ancestors did, and make some.

Aaron1124

imported post

None of the baseball bats. I live in an apartment, and there wouldn't be nearly the room in the hall (or my bedroom) to get a good swing with it, and it wouldn't be too effective to simply shove it in to them with the head end of it.

Count out the golf club and hockey sticks too.

The chainsaw would be intimidating, no doubt, but in the heat of the moment, there's a very good chance you'll end up maiming yourself in the process.

The Taser is compared to have the stopping power of a 9mm handgun, and it's non lethal. Will always work if it's used properly.

Of everything on the list, I'd pick the Trident. It has range and mobility, and it's deadly. Not to mention, you can get a lot of momentum with it and not have to swing it like a bat, but rather use it in a stabbing motion.

M

McX

imported post

life without guns is life without meaning! but anyway; knives, bats, crossbow- i actually have one of those- it will never catch on :D, my kids could eat them out of the house, and my wife nag them to death, does that count?

Aaron1124

imported post

mcdonalk wrote:
I would ASSUME that the point of the post would be to bait us into admitting that we could still defend our homes without guns. Probably with no intent of ever responding, but simply for the feeling of being 'more intelligent' than the 'gun nuts'. :banghead:

Well, get that giddy feeling J1Nitro, because YES. If all firearms were to disappear overnight, you can bet we would still find ways to protect our families. A more useful argument would be "what would you do for defense if there were no weapons?" The answer, of course, is to do what our ancestors did, and make some.
I highly doubt this is a conspiracy anti gun thread considering the OP put a flame thrower in the post.

eye95

imported post

While the UK has strong handgun control, baseball bat crime in that nation occurs at a lower rate than in the U.S.

Go figger.

grumpycoconut

imported post

You all need to consider the threat environment we're discussing here. For home defense you need to layer your weaponry. For up close work you need a good short sword like a gladius. Narrow hallways and small rooms call for a tool that is excellent for stabbing but can be used for slashing too. For longer range work a good bow or even a sling would be a good place to start. My wife doesn't have the strength to pull a big bow but even she could handle a 35 pound composite recurve. 35 pounds may not seem like much but they can make pointy sticks fly fast enough to put someone's eye out.

For going out on the town I'd be inclined toward a light cavalry sabreor a small sword. I must admit though that for dressy occasions I favor a nice rapier and main gouche combo.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

eye95 wrote:
While the UK has strong handgun control, baseball bat crime in that nation occurs at a lower rate than in the U.S.
Becauseno self-respecting Brit would ding his cricket bat.

Jim675

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Most of the nefarious sorts are taken by the crocodiles in my moat. Those in vehicles sufficiently armored and amphibious to pass by the crocodiles seem to have difficulty negotiating the sheer walls of the keep. Flying neer-do-walls are bound over for processing via "The new three-hundred-and-forty-four-millimeter Lepage glue gun," Yossarian answered. "It glues a whole formation of planes together in mid-air.".

Pagan

imported post

Before I had my rights restored, I had six 80+ pound pit bulls, and nothing and no one was coming in this home and leaving in one piece, period, unless I said so. In fact you would not have made it past my gate or over my fence before wishing you had stayed in bed that day.