• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry co-founder John Pierce on The Daily Show

mahkagari

imported post

IMO, no such thing as bad publicity. Plus, you know you've made it somewhere when Jon Stewart singles you out. Next step: South Park and Saturday Night Live.

The fact that it was such a struggle to mock OCmakes this positive.The jokes weren't nearly the cheap shots of other stories TDS does. The fake laugh track was hardly there. Even the people "staring" at Wyatt Cynac weren't reallyflipping out. Just a few raisedeyebrows.And that was WITH Cynac loaded up like the bloody Road Warrior. The show was MUCH more brutal when it covered people investing in firearms that were projected to appreciate.

Good on the founders for taking the risk to get us out there!!

BJA

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Not as bad as I thought it would be, kind of funny actually and entertaining. I stopped watching the daily show about a year ago, it always leaned liberal but it reallyfell off the deep end around the time barack obama was elected. The daily show then got a bit too serious, and less entertaining and even more liberal, I like to crack jokes about the republicans and the democrats. I lean libertarian and claim nothing.

Sonora Rebel

imported post

Interceptor_Knight wrote:
nakedshoplifter wrote:

How doeseveryone feel about being mocked?

Easy to do when the statement was made equating Open Carry discrimination to Gay and Lesbian Discrimination...:?

What the hell was that about? A 'come out of the closet' analogy? Why'd he make that comparison? Good grief... people have been openly carrying firearms here 'n many places since Christ was a cowboy...

And no... I don't share their 'body type'.

eye95

imported post

Sonora Rebel wrote:
Interceptor_Knight wrote:
nakedshoplifter wrote:

How doeseveryone feel about being mocked?

Easy to do when the statement was made equating Open Carry discrimination to Gay and Lesbian Discrimination...:?

What the hell was that about? A 'come out of the closet' analogy? Why'd he make that comparison? Good grief... people have been openly carrying firearms here 'n many places since Christ was a cowboy...

Mike and John make the analogy comparing OC awareness with how gays handled becoming more accepted in society.

The "coming out of the closet" comparison is not apt, because OCers where, by definition, never doing so in hiding. Either you do or you don't. More people are choosing to do.

mahkagari

imported post

Sonora Rebel wrote:

Nor do I. But look at the positive side. None of these guys were the stereotype sheeple have in mind of beer swilling camo clad rednecks. What people saw was mainstream, well-dressed, well-spoken,middle class guys looking basically harmless.

For as much as it was a cheap shot, most of America is of that "body type". They inadvertantly helped the cause by making OCers look even MORE normal than any of us could have intended!

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I thought it was funny ... MUCH better than the Jimmy Kimmel piece. And I LOVED the analogy.

mahkagari

imported post

Ooh! What was the Jimmy Kimmel piece? I avoid him. He'sonly funny around his funny friendsand his whoring for products at the opening of his show is just obnoxious.

bohdi

imported post

What better way to show how harmless you really are than to be able to make fun and laugh at yourself? It makes me chuckle every time I watch it.

It's 2010! :lol:

Pagan

imported post

Dude that was totally funny! Asking if his wife knew:D, then going all rambo in the coffee shop:D, even painted the anti's as the bigots they are:celebrate. I don't think we could get better free coverage than that!

eye95

imported post

Pagan wrote:
Dude that was totally funny! Asking if his wife knew:D, then going all rambo in the coffee shop:D, even painted the anti's as the bigots they are:celebrate. I don't think we could get better free coverage than that!
Do you really think that Stewart or his cronies think that the Bradys are bigots??? Do you think they were trying to paint the Bradys that way???

Pagan

imported post

eye95 wrote:
Pagan wrote:
Do you really think that Stewart or his cronies think that the Bradys are bigots??? Do you think they were trying to paint the Bradys that way???
Perhaps not, but they did anyway:lol:

mahkagari

imported post

Tess wrote:
I thought it was funny ... MUCH better than the Jimmy Kimmel piece. And I LOVED the analogy.

Found the Jimmy piece. That was bad. Not offensive. Not funny. Not shocking. Not clever. It was just bad.

There was a Daily Show where Wyatt Cenac was playing the part of a liberal on a panel. He had a great line, "Whatever, we got guns too. Bring it on bitch."

Batousaii

imported post

I kinda took note of how stiff the Brady rep was, in comparison, our guys were perfectly comfortable with a little humor and poke-n-joke even at ones self. The Brady guy of course couldn't be bothered with any humor, lord knows it might have cracked that glass rod he keeps out of the sunlight if he were to have laughed at all. So in that, i believe people out there have an opportunity to see the real difference between us as normal comfortable people with good self esteem, and the Brady types with their phobic, tight/retentive, neurotic fear mongering... poor Brady bastard didn't even blink when the host tried to get him joking about himself, John on the other hand played along beautifully and probably had to try not to laugh.

- Over all, i got a good chuckle out of it. Regardless of the stations slant, it is still publicity for us, and exposes the growing commonality of open carry - Thumbs Up.

;)Bat

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Batousaii wrote:
I kinda took note of how stiff the Brady rep was, in comparison, our guys were perfectly comfortable with a little humor and poke-n-joke even at ones self. The Brady guy of course couldn't be bothered with any humor, lord knows it might have cracked that glass rod he keeps out of the sunlight if he were to have laughed at all. So in that, i believe people out there have an opportunity to see the real difference between us as normal comfortable people with good self esteem, and the Brady types with their phobic, tight/retentive, neurotic fear mongering... poor Brady bastard didn't even blink when the host tried to get him joking about himself, John on the other hand played along beautifully and probably had to try not to laugh.
Yes, I noticed the same thing. Fidgety, neurotic Helmke and shrill, screeching "mad mothers", compared to John Pierce... I think you'd have to have a strong pro-gun-control bias going into it to feel otherwise.

The OCers reek of normality compared to the Brady paranoids.

eye95 wrote:
Do you really think that Stewart or his cronies think that the Bradys are bigots??? Do you think they were trying to paint the Bradys that way??
Perhaps. Why not?

I think people are perhaps placing too much weight in their own estimations of the value of political partisanship as an indicator of actual thought.

You know, it occurred to me that they, albeit apparently in jest, accused Helmke of being hateful, and asked if he felt OCers were "an abomination". Helmke responded that anybody who carries a gun is "not a normal human being".

If that's not hate, ignorance, and bigotry, I don't know what is.

To say I disagree with the Brady Bunchers would be to put it mildly, but I would *never* accuse them of being "not normal human beings" (at least, not by the sheer virtue of their stance on gun control). They're normal human beings, who happen to have a particularly annoying set of phobias, and who also happen to be wrong about a great many things. But many "normal" people are wrong about a great many things. Normality and logical correctitude do not correlate well if at all.

If the Daily Show *didn't* want to portray the Brady Bunch as hateful, they could have avoided airing that segment.

But they did air it -- for the world to see: Helmke's passive-aggressive, seemingly mild-mannered, bigotry and hate, and simple ignorance. He just can't fathom how someone who shares a different viewpoint could possibly be a real, "normal" human being.

Like I said, if that's not hate and bigotry...

eye95

imported post

Reread my question. I am not going to try to explain. That did not work out well last time. Moving on.

1245A Defender

imported post

good!!!

i thought it was very fair and balanced!
and funny, thought provoking, reasonable, satirical, snide, revealing, and just plain silly!!
everything that show is supposed to be.

and it was damn fine publicity!!

grumpycoconut

imported post

eye95 wrote:
Reread my question. I am not going to try to explain. That did not work out well last time. Moving on.

Come on Eye. Having fun ishalf of why were here. Explaining our positions is another half and engaging in cutting word play is yet another half. Moving on just seems too much like "I'm taking my ball and going home." Stay and play.

By the way, trying to guess at Stewart and company's real opinions of the Brady's based on what they put on air and not what they might tell you to your face when they are not playing to an audience is a losing game. It's TV. There's no real reality on TV.

For most of the rest of the country the coming out of the closet approach of the piece is a masterful stroke.Most of your fellow Americans don't have the luxury of coming from such anopen minded place as you do. Even in the rural parts (most of our state is rural by the way) oftheCalifornicate Republic I would get fewer strange looks if I kissed a man square on the lips while a rainbow shot out of my back side than if I walked into a gun store with apiece openly strappedtomy hip.Give us a bit of time, more of Ed Peruta & friend'sfine work and a wee bit of luck and we'll see the Pink Pistols open carrying at next years pride parade in Pelosi's back yard.

Does following you to another thread make me a stalker?:lol: