Results 1 to 16 of 16

Thread: open carry at any tea parties?

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    , , Kernersville NC
    Posts
    783

    Post imported post

    Is it legal? Im guessing no since it is an event or gathering. Whats say you?

  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Hickory, NC, ,
    Posts
    1,025

    Post imported post

    I think my local one is at the Catawba County detention/jail/sheriff facility. Probably not a good idea. And the whole no carry at protests statute could be problematic. Maybe an open holster if no other option.

  3. #3
    Regular Member TheFreeman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Concord, North Carolina, USA
    Posts
    139

    Post imported post

    I thought NC had something about carrying at assemblies... or protests or something...

  4. #4
    Regular Member elixin77's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Greenville, NC, ,
    Posts
    591

    Post imported post

    fairly positive that you can not carry while at a protest, but i believe you have to be a part of the protest for that clause to be in effect.

    I could be dead wrong though, so don't quote me
    Taurus PT1911 .45 ACP. Carried in condition 1, with a total of 25 rounds.

    Vice President of Students for Concealed Carry on Campus, ECU Chapter

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Hickory, NC, ,
    Posts
    1,025

    Post imported post

    Here is the statute. There has been some discussion as to whether this is a ban on carry at ANY protest, or just at health care facilities. I'll let you decide for yourself on that one.

    § 14‑277.2. Weapons at parades, etc., prohibited.
    (a) It shall be unlawful for any person participating in, affiliated with, or present as a spectator at any parade, funeral procession, picket line, or demonstration upon any private health care facility or upon any public place owned or under the control of the State or any of its political subdivisions to willfully or intentionally possess or have immediate access to any dangerous weapon. Violation of this subsection shall be a Class 1 misdemeanor. It shall be presumed that any rifle or gun carried on a rack in a pickup truck at a holiday parade or in a funeral procession does not violate the terms of this act.
    (b) For the purposes of this section the term "dangerous weapon" shall include those weapons specified in G.S. 14‑269, 14‑269.2, 14‑284.1, or 14‑288.8 or any other object capable of inflicting serious bodily injury or death when used as a weapon.
    (c) The provisions of this section shall not apply to a person exempted by the provisions of G.S. 14‑269(b) or to persons authorized by State or federal law to carry dangerous weapons in the performance of their duties or to any person who obtains a permit to carry a dangerous weapon at a parade, funeral procession, picket line, or demonstration from the sheriff or police chief, whichever is appropriate, of the locality where such parade, funeral procession, picket line, or demonstration is to take place. (1981, c. 684, s. 1; 1983, c. 633; 1993, c. 412, s. 2; c. 539, s. 174; 1994, Ex. Sess., c. 24, s. 14(c); 1997‑238, s. 4.)

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    High Point, North Carolina, United States
    Posts
    246

    Post imported post

    Just buy one of them hard plastic dummy guns that is the make of your gun, and holster that. so you can carry in/at places you normally cant...and still support the second amendment.

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Raeford, NC Hoke County, ,
    Posts
    79

    Post imported post

    Preble wrote:
    Just buy one of them hard plastic dummy guns that is the make of your gun, and holster that. so you can carry in/at places you normally cant...and still support the second amendment.
    This is a joke right!:shock:

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Jacksonville, North Carolina, USA
    Posts
    225

    Post imported post

    Has to be. Do the open holster.

  9. #9
    Regular Member Dreamer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Grennsboro NC
    Posts
    5,358

    Post imported post

    The prohibition of carrying at parades and protests here in NC is a rather bizarre bit of law.

    Apparently it's OK in NC to exercise your 1A.

    It's OK in NC to exercise your 2A.

    But in NC, you can't do them both at the same time.

    We don't want people "miscegenating" those Rights, now do we?

    We are one of the few states that still has this sort of law on the books. It is yet ANOTHER racist, Jim Crow law enacted to keep "certain kinds of people" from carrying firearms in public.

    WTF?

    This law is a moral and ethical embarrassment, a vestige of Jim Crow racism, and needs to be repealed...
    It is our cause to dispel the foggy thinking which avoids hard decisions in the delusion that a world of conflict will somehow mysteriously resolve itself into a world of harmony, if we just don't rock the boat or irritate the forces of aggressionand this is hogwash."
    --Barry Goldwater, 1964

  10. #10
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Hickory, NC, ,
    Posts
    1,025

    Post imported post

    Just got back from the Catawba County Tea Party. They had it at the County Courthouse so I had to OC an empty Serpa holster. Got a few looks, but no questions. I got an email address from the rep from the John Locke Foundation to contact about the Castle Doctrine. If anything comes of it I will post it here ASAP. Pretty good turnout and good speakers.

  11. #11
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    462

    Post imported post

    Someone with a good lawyer needs to go ahead and carry at one and get arrested for doing it. Then they sue challenging the law and get it overturned. I would bet that a federal court would find that that law was an unconstitutional infringement on both free speech and the second amendment.

  12. #12
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Goldsboro, , USA
    Posts
    184

    Post imported post

    mekender wrote:
    Someone with a good lawyer needs to go ahead and carry at one and get arrested for doing it. Then they sue challenging the law and get it overturned. I would bet that a federal court would find that that law was an unconstitutional infringement on both free speech and the second amendment.
    Are you volunteering? Go ahead and take one for the team! Hoooray!!!!

  13. #13
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    462

    Post imported post

    NCjones wrote:
    mekender wrote:
    Someone with a good lawyer needs to go ahead and carry at one and get arrested for doing it. Then they sue challenging the law and get it overturned. I would bet that a federal court would find that that law was an unconstitutional infringement on both free speech and the second amendment.
    Are you volunteering? Go ahead and take one for the team! Hoooray!!!!
    As tempting as that sounds, I have 4 kids that depend on me going to work every day to eat.

  14. #14
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Seattle, Washington, USA
    Posts
    81

    Post imported post

    Dreamer wrote:
    The prohibition of carrying at parades and protests here in NC is a rather bizarre bit of law.

    Apparently it's OK in NC to exercise your 1A.

    It's OK in NC to exercise your 2A.

    But in NC, you can't do them both at the same time.

    We don't want people "miscegenating" those Rights, now do we?

    We are one of the few states that still has this sort of law on the books. It is yet ANOTHER racist, Jim Crow law enacted to keep "certain kinds of people" from carrying firearms in public.

    WTF?

    This law is a moral and ethical embarrassment, a vestige of Jim Crow racism, and needs to be repealed...
    +1

    Being from WA state, I can honestly say I am extremely proud of our state's 'framers' in that they made our laws very cut and dry. Imagine that. Law that is black and white!

    I have carried at a couple different rallys in/around WA. Here is me at our Tea Party.

    http://blogs.seattleweekly.com/daily.../04/post_4.php

    And just in case anyone is wondering, yes, I still have shirts available. Anyone else love guns and coffee?

  15. #15
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    SMITHFIELD, North Carolina, USA
    Posts
    270

    Post imported post

    I doubt it would be a very positive experience here. The last tea party we had in Goldsboro there were cops with riot gear and shotguns "monitoring" the group like we were the klan or Al Quaeda or something. "Just for our safety", of course!



  16. #16
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Central Florida
    Posts
    65

    Post imported post

    Anthony_I_Am wrote:
    I doubt it would be a very positive experience here. The last tea party we had in Goldsboro there were cops with riot gear and shotguns "monitoring" the group like we were the klan or Al Quaeda or something. "Just for our safety", of course!

    That's funny. I took the family to the Tea Party on 15 Apr 2009 and there were a few officers casually milling about but nobody dressed as you described.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •