• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

mcrgo questions & answers

smellslikemichigan

Campaign Veteran
imported post

the guy is not a joke, he's actually a great attorney for gun owners, but i do agree with you that no action is needed if your firearm accidentally becomes exposed.

B

Bikenut

imported post

bossbart wrote: [line]
Frequently Asked Question
-snip-

Of course, I also recommend making wise decisions about carry weapons, holsters, and clothing so that concealed pistols remain concealed. The traditional reason for requiring licensing of concealed pistols is because they give the bearer the element of surprise in case the need arises for a defensive gun use. A "concealed" pistol that is actually visible, whether directly or through clothing, gives up that element of surprise.

-snip-

Steve is an attorney in private practice in East Lansing, http://www.StevenWDulan.com, and serves as an adjunct professor teaching firearms law at The Thomas M. Cooley Law School in Lansing, as well as an instructor of the legal portion of CPL classes around the state. He is a current member of the Board of Directors of MCRGO and a member of the Board of Trustees of the MCRGO Foundation and the MCRGO Foundation Firearms Civil Defense Fund.
Ummmmm..... I thought that the licensing of concealed pistols came about because traditionally the honorable man carried his gun in plain sight but the criminal concealed his gun to give him the advantage of "surprising" his victim... and the whole concept of "surprise" was an advantage for the attacking criminal... not the defending victim.

Hence an honorable person who wished to conceal his pistol for the purpose of protection would legally apply for a license for that purpose.. but a criminal would still conceal without a license.

Which, to me, says the concept of concealed licenses was a hold over of the idea that a person who conceals a gun does so for less than honorable purposes.

Not to mention that concealed carry licenses are a way for authorities to know who, and control who, can and cannot legally carry a concealed gun.

Or maybe I have that whole concept wrong. If so I'm sure someone will correct me on it.:D

But one thing is sure.... no one should be "surprised" that to the criminal concealed carry makes the carrier look like all the other unarmed potential victims out there while carrying a gun in plain sight lets the criminal know immediately his intended victim won't be easy prey.