• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

MD Civil Immunity Bill goes to the GOV

swinokur

Activist Member
imported post

A watered down version has passed SB 411 and been sent to Gov O'Malley for his consideration and hopefully a signature. Not as strong as was wanted, but certainly better than nothing. Worst part was the language for awards was changed from Shall to May.

better than nothing.

Dreamer

imported post

This bill passed the senate 45-2. Senators Gladden (Baltimore) and Exum (Landover) voted against it. Considering their districts, and the fact that the majority of their constituants are probably related to the people who stand to lose out if this bill passes, this comes as no big surprise...

I would like to hear their official explanations as to why they think criminals and thugs should be able to sue law-abiding Marylanders, should the thugs and criminals be injured (or their survivors if they are killed) while breaking into the homes of law-abiding citizens.

I'm sure their logic is mind-bogglingly sweet and tender.

It's now in the House Judiciary Committee, and hopefully it will get "favorable review" and passed on for a full vote.

EVERYONE in Maryland should call them and ask them why they are against a law that protects law-abiding citizens from civil suits when they defend themselves against lawless criminals and thugs:

1198-1-683c.jpg

LISA A. GLADDEN

Democrat, District 41, Baltimore City
(410) 841-3697, (301) 858-3697
1-800-492-7122, ext. 3697 (toll free)

e-mail: lisa.gladden@senate.state.md.us

1198-1-1057c.jpg

NATHANIEL EXUM
Democrat, District 24, Prince George's County
(410) 841-3148, (301) 858-3148
1-800-492-7122, ext. 3148 (toll free)

e-mail: nathaniel.exum@senate.state.md.us

Dreamer

imported post

Yes, you are correct. I didn't realize it made it out of all the committees. Further research shows that it is headed to Gov. O'Malley's desk this week. It's hard to tell if he'll sign it, but even if he doesn't, there are easily enough votes in the GA to override his veto...

It wouldn't surprise me if O'Malley vetos this bill though. Much like Senator Brian Frosh, he hates the idea of law-abiding citizens defending themselves, and loves to lend a helping hand to the other criminals in MD...

Uber_Olafsun

imported post

I live in VA but work at PG hospital. When I see the people come in with gunshots etc that is the very reason I carry in VA. I have talked to some of the cops and they have been half and half about carrying let alone openly. Not surprisingly my guns save live stickers has gotten quite a few positive responses.

Sig229

imported post

Lets not forget that in England about 10 years ago, they passed a very similar bill.
In the UK, if someone breaks in your home and threatens your life, and you shoot or harm him-YOU will get more prison time than the criminal.

Maryland's law makers have become absolutely pathetic !

swinokur

Activist Member
imported post

Dreamer wrote:
Yes, you are correct. I didn't realize it made it out of all the committees. Further research shows that it is headed to Gov. O'Malley's desk this week. It's hard to tell if he'll sign it, but even if he doesn't, there are easily enough votes in the GA to override his veto...

It wouldn't surprise me if O'Malley vetos this bill though. Much like Senator Brian Frosh, he hates the idea of law-abiding citizens defending themselves, and loves to lend a helping hand to the other criminals in MD...

My understanding is he is going to let it sit on his desk and under MD law after 6 days it becomes law. This way he can pacify the antis by claiming he didn't actively support it.

What a spinelss P***k.

garyad

imported post

Sig229 wrote:
Lets not forget that in England about 10 years ago, they passed a very similar bill.
In the UK, if someone breaks in your home and threatens your life, and you shoot or harm him-YOU will get more prison time than the criminal.

??? What bill are you talking about? This one (SB 411)is not what we wanted but certainly better than what we had.

Maryland Shall Issue

imported post

Sig229 wrote:

This bill protects homeowners. It basically states that you have protection from civil action in the event that a criminal is injured or killed while in the act of committing a crime inside of your home. The language isn't as strong as we wanted, but it's a start.

Dreamer

imported post

Now the wait begins...

Lets see if the next time a law-abiding citizen kills some thug who is invading their home, if they are, in fact, given civil and criminal immunity by the DA and the courts...

Time will tell, but I'm not holding my breath. They pass a lot of laws in Annapolis to "protect the people", that are ultimately tossed aside by the courts for political expediency or to serve a larger political agenda. Witness the Traffic Camera laws. When Montgomery County blatantly violated the state statute, the AG just "gave them a pass"...

I fear this may be just another law like that, that fall into the legislative dustbin when push comes to shove...