Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: May be traveling to washington

  1. #1
    Regular Member younggun20's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Ogden, Utah, USA
    Posts
    276

    Post imported post

    I may be going to washington this weekend, mainly Royal City, Wenatchee and East Wenatchee. What are the local carry regulations. I do not have a CWP, so here in UT I must be 2 actions away from firing (rack the slide, pull the trigger)

    Any help would be greatly appreciated

  2. #2
    Campaign Veteran gogodawgs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Federal Way, Washington, USA
    Posts
    5,667

    Post imported post

    See the FAQ sticky at the top of our forum.

    Basically..

    You can carry openly, loaded, one in the tube.

    Except: In your vehicle it must be unloaded. But the Magazine may remain loaded but not in the firearm. The firearm can be anywhere in the car.

    Except: Not in a bar or the portion of a restruant that is for 21 and over only.

    Except:Schools (I suppose the 1000' school zone would apply)

    http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum55/40333.html
    Live Free or Die!

  3. #3
    Campaign Veteran gogodawgs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Federal Way, Washington, USA
    Posts
    5,667

    Post imported post

    NavyLT wrote:
    gogodawgs wrote:
    See the FAQ sticky at the top of our forum.

    Basically..

    You can carry openly, loaded, one in the tube.

    Except: In your vehicle it must be unloaded. But the Magazine may remain loaded but not in the firearm. The firearm can be anywhere in the car.

    Except: Not in a bar or the portion of a restruant that is for 21 and over only.

    Except:Schools (I suppose the 1000' school zone would apply)

    http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum55/40333.html
    Except: In your vehicle it must be unloaded. But the Magazine may remain loaded but not in the firearm. The firearm can be anywhere in the car. - EXCEPT concealed on your person loaded or not...
    Correct...let me refer back to our favorite analogy.

    You may duct tape the magazine to the outside of the grip. You may duct tape the firearm to your forehead. Just don't conceal it.....
    Live Free or Die!

  4. #4
    Campaign Veteran ak56's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Carnation, Washington, USA
    Posts
    748

    Post imported post

    NavyLT wrote:
    gogodawgs wrote:
    Correct...let me refer back to our favorite analogy.

    You may duct tape the magazine to the outside of the grip. You may duct tape the firearm to your forehead. Just don't conceal it.....
    I like to tie the magazine to the gun and hang them from the rear view mirror like fuzzy dice... :celebrate
    Brilliant! A Fuzzy Dice car holster. I could make millions!:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate

    Time for me to start working on a prototype.
    No right is held more sacred, or is more carefully guarded, by the common law than the right of every individual to the possession and control of his own person, free from all restraint or interference of others, unless by clear and unquestionable authority of law. Union Pacific Rail Co. vs Botsford as quoted in Terry v Ohio.


    Talk to your cats about catnip - before it's too late.

  5. #5
    Regular Member younggun20's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Ogden, Utah, USA
    Posts
    276

    Post imported post

    gogodawgs wrote:
    See the FAQ sticky at the top of our forum.

    Basically..

    You can carry openly, loaded, one in the tube.

    Except: In your vehicle it must be unloaded. But the Magazine may remain loaded but not in the firearm. The firearm can be anywhere in the car.

    Except: Not in a bar or the portion of a restruant that is for 21 and over only.

    Except:Schools (I suppose the 1000' school zone would apply)

    http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum55/40333.html

    Except: In your vehicle it must be unloaded. But the Magazine may remain loaded but not in the firearm. The firearm can be anywhere in the car. - EXCEPT concealed on your person loaded or not...
    Sorry about missing the sticky. So I can OC fully loaded. but in the car both the pistol and mag must be visible and the mag can not be in the Side arm. Or can I keep the pistol holstered and throw the mag on the dash

  6. #6
    Regular Member younggun20's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Ogden, Utah, USA
    Posts
    276

    Post imported post

    NavyLT wrote:
    younggun20 wrote:
    gogodawgs wrote:
    See the FAQ sticky at the top of our forum.

    Basically..

    You can carry openly, loaded, one in the tube.

    Except: In your vehicle it must be unloaded. But the Magazine may remain loaded but not in the firearm. The firearm can be anywhere in the car.

    Except: Not in a bar or the portion of a restruant that is for 21 and over only.

    Except:Schools (I suppose the 1000' school zone would apply)

    http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum55/40333.html

    Except: In your vehicle it must be unloaded. But the Magazine may remain loaded but not in the firearm. The firearm can be anywhere in the car. - EXCEPT concealed on your person loaded or not...
    Sorry about missing the sticky. So I can OC fully loaded. but in the car both the pistol and mag must be visible and the mag can not be in the Side arm. Or can I keep the pistol holstered and throw the mag on the dash
    Neither the magazine nor the pistol must remain visible in your car. The pistol may be openly carried/transported, or may be concealed anywhere else in the vehicle other than on your body.

    In a vehicle, I would recommend against having the gun on your body anywhere because "concealed" would be up to the objective opinion of the officer. I know some here will argue that, it's just my opinion.

    There are no restrictions to the carry/transport of loaded magazines in or out of your vehicle, they just can't be actually in the gun in the vehicle.
    Thank you for the clarification. It is much appreciated.

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Everett, Washington, USA
    Posts
    3,339

    Post imported post

    You must also unload the round in the chamber.
    "A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."

    "though I walk through the valley in the shadow of death, I fear no evil, for I know that you are by my side" Glock 23:40

  8. #8
    Regular Member Lammo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Spokane, Washington, USA
    Posts
    581

    Post imported post

    joeroket wrote:
    You must also unload the round in the chamber.
    joeroket is absolutely correctand this is one instance where WA law differs from UT. UT allows the magazine to be inserted so long as there is no round in the chamber, AKA, Condition 3. In WA the firearm must be completely empty.
    IAALBIAAFTDPASNIPHCBCALA
    Don't be so open minded that your brains fall out. (John Corapi, The Black Sheep Dog)
    Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read. (Groucho Marx)

  9. #9
    Regular Member younggun20's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Ogden, Utah, USA
    Posts
    276

    Post imported post

    Lammo wrote:
    joeroket wrote:
    You must also unload the round in the chamber.
    joeroket is absolutely correctand this is one instance where WA law differs from UT. UT allows the magazine to be inserted so long as there is no round in the chamber, AKA, Condition 3. In WA the firearm must be completely empty.
    Understood. Thank you again for all the help. Looking forward to the trip now.

  10. #10
    Opt-Out Members BigDave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Yakima, Washington, USA
    Posts
    3,463

    Post imported post

    Lets not forget engaging in a lawful outdoor recreational actively.

    RCW 9.41.060 Exceptions to restrictions on carrying firearms.

    The provisions of RCW 9.41.050 shall not apply to:

    (8) Any person engaging in a lawful outdoor recreational activity such as hunting, fishing, camping, hiking, or horseback riding, only if, considering all of the attendant circumstances, including but not limited to whether the person has a valid hunting or fishing license, it is reasonable to conclude that the person is participating in lawful outdoor activities or is traveling to or from a legitimate outdoor recreation area;
    • Being prepared is to prepare, this is our responsibility.
    • I am not your Mommy or Daddy and do not sugar coat it but I will tell you simply as how I see it, it is up to you on how you will or will not use it.
    • IANAL, all information I present is for your review, do your own homework.

  11. #11
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Lakewood, WA
    Posts
    1,001

    Post imported post

    BigDave wrote:
    Lets not forget engaging in a lawful outdoor recreational actively.

    RCW 9.41.060 Exceptions to restrictions on carrying firearms.

    The provisions of RCW 9.41.050 shall not apply to:

    (8) Any person engaging in a lawful outdoor recreational activity such as hunting, fishing, camping, hiking, or horseback riding, only if, considering all of the attendant circumstances, including but not limited to whether the person has a valid hunting or fishing license, it is reasonable to conclude that the person is participating in lawful outdoor activities or is traveling to or from a legitimate outdoor recreation area;
    The chances of an LEO recognizing that and letting you go on your merry way are slim to none, I wouldn't even risk it. All it takes is for an LEO to make a big stink about it, and you have court stuff to deal with, even if the law was not violated.

    I'd just carry with a mag in the gun and nothing in the chamber when outside of the vehicle, that way you can drop the mag before entering the vehicle and call it good rather than having to rack the slide and risk dropping or losing a round. Before I had a CPL, I had a holster that allowed me to hit the mag release without unholstering. Once I stepped out of the vehicle I'd just put the mag back in and be on my way.
    Quote Originally Posted by SayWhat View Post

    Shooters before hooters.

  12. #12
    Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Whatcom County
    Posts
    17,338

    Post imported post

    NavyLT wrote:
    G22Paddy wrote:
    I'd just carry with a mag in the gun and nothing in the chamber when outside of the vehicle, that way you can drop the mag before entering the vehicle and call it good rather than having to rack the slide and risk dropping or losing a round. Before I had a CPL, I had a holster that allowed me to hit the mag release without unholstering. Once I stepped out of the vehicle I'd just put the mag back in and be on my way.
    That was the most convenient way I found to carry as well, before I got my CPL.
    Me too, Israeli Carry. This and picking kids up at school are the only two reasons I got my CPL.
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

    U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •