• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

On State Parks

t33j

imported post

The following is a response from Mr. Warren Wahl to my inquiry about where the department of conservation and recreation derives the authority to enact a ban on those without CHPs. Turns out that's not quite the story.

Dear Me:

Please pardon the tardiness of my response. I was out last week and just saw your e-mail yesterday and was checking for developments that may have occurred in my absence. You will see to what I refer below.

First let me answer your stated question directly. The regulation to which you refer is §4VAC5-30-200.

http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+reg+4VAC5-30-200

This regulation has been in place in some form since at least the late 60's and probably longer.

§10.1-104(4), link below, is the Code of Virginia section from which the Department derives its authority to make regulations.

http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+10.1-104

Now follows the internal details in which you may or may not have interest. When Governor McDonnell was the Attorney General he opined that §18.2-287.4 COV stated the entire intent of the General Assembly to limit the ability to carry firearms on public parks and therefore it superseded our Department's ability to restrict it further. There were more nuances, but that is the heart of it. Former Governor Kaine did not accept that opinion and directed our agency to continue enforcing the regulation as you presently see it. This obviously elevated the point at which the decision had to be made and was the last direction we received on this issue.

Shortly after Governor McDonnell took office, we sent a reminder "upline" of the status of this situation assuming his position had not changed. Governor McDonnell has not yet provided additional direction. So, we are proceeding as last directed and enforcing the regulation as it exists.

The following is purely speculation on my part and please do not mistake it for anything more certain. I suspect the Governor may be dealing with this issue in a far broader manner and may not want to highlight simply a state park issue at this time. I suspect from your question, you may be pleased by the ultimate outcome. As a result, I respectfully suggest, we should probably all give the Governor the opportunity to deal with this in the manner and time frame he believes to be appropriate. Clearly, our agency is obligated to do so under any circumstance.

I hope this is helpful. If there is any further information we can provide, please write back.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

t33j wrote:
The following is a response from Mr. Warren Wahl to my inquiry about where the department of conservation and recreation derives the authority to enact a ban on those without CHPs. Turns out that's not quite the story.

Dear Me:

Please pardon the tardiness of my response. I was out last week and just saw your e-mail yesterday and was checking for developments that may have occurred in my absence. You will see to what I refer below.

First let me answer your stated question directly. The regulation to which you refer is §4VAC5-30-200.

http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+reg+4VAC5-30-200

This regulation has been in place in some form since at least the late 60's and probably longer.

§10.1-104(4), link below, is the Code of Virginia section from which the Department derives its authority to make regulations.

http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+10.1-104

Now follows the internal details in which you may or may not have interest. When Governor McDonnell was the Attorney General he opined that §18.2-287.4 COV stated the entire intent of the General Assembly to limit the ability to carry firearms on public parks and therefore it superseded our Department's ability to restrict it further. There were more nuances, but that is the heart of it. Former Governor Kaine did not accept that opinion and directed our agency to continue enforcing the regulation as you presently see it. This obviously elevated the point at which the decision had to be made and was the last direction we received on this issue.

Shortly after Governor McDonnell took office, we sent a reminder "upline" of the status of this situation assuming his position had not changed. Governor McDonnell has not yet provided additional direction. So, we are proceeding as last directed and enforcing the regulation as it exists.

The following is purely speculation on my part and please do not mistake it for anything more certain. I suspect the Governor may be dealing with this issue in a far broader manner and may not want to highlight simply a state park issue at this time. I suspect from your question, you may be pleased by the ultimate outcome. As a result, I respectfully suggest, we should probably all give the Governor the opportunity to deal with this in the manner and time frame he believes to be appropriate. Clearly, our agency is obligated to do so under any circumstance.

I hope this is helpful. If there is any further information we can provide, please write back.
Thanks T3. Actually, I knew this haowever the opinion that McDonnell may be dealing with it on a broader basis is speculation at this point.

McDonnell has indicated on several occasions that he does intend to make the desired changes and VCDL is in communication with him.

Frankly, I don't believe it and as a result, am on the "Don't Talk To" list because I've insulted him several times now. It's going to get worse too.

My biggest red flag is the Gay Letter policy. McDonnell completely ignored his own AG opinion and negated Cuccinelli's letter (Not even an opinion).

Considering his lack of interest in VDOF, I don't have high hopes.