• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Any State owned property that prohibits firearm possession?

Aaron1124

imported post

State Preemption says:

"The state of Washington hereby fully occupies and preempts the entire field of firearms regulation within the boundaries of the state, including the registration, licensing, possession, purchase, sale, acquisition, transfer, discharge, and transportation of firearms, or any other element relating to firearms or parts thereof, including ammunition and reloader components. Cities, towns, and counties or other municipalities may enact only those laws and ordinances relating to firearms that are specifically authorized by state law, as in RCW 9.41.300, and are consistent with this chapter. Such local ordinances shall have the same penalty as provided for by state law. Local laws and ordinances that are inconsistent with, more restrictive than, or exceed the requirements of state law shall not be enacted and are preempted and repealed, regardless of the nature of the code, charter, or home rule status of such city, town, county, or municipality."

Which means the city, town, county, or municipality may not create ordinances which are more restrictive than State Law. That does not mean State property, such as State Parks, can not ban firearms, correct?

Here's an email I received a while back regarding this topic:
"The short answer is no—the preemption statute does not apply to state agencies. A state agency could not, however, criminalize the possession of firearms– the Legislature would have to do that. Although it’s not possible to predict how a court would view specific agency rules limiting firearms, there are certainly examples where agencies have done so. I am pasting a longer explanation from staff that provides some case history and examples that may be of interest to you."

Does that mean a state agency could create an ordinance that would hold as much weight as a private business restricting firearms, and simply trespass you if you refuse to leave? Are there any state agencies, that any of you are aware of, that actually prohibit firearms on their property?

Oh, and not to mention, Washington State Supreme Court is exempt from having to provide a lock box for a firearm, because it's not a Municipal or County court.

Aaron1124

imported post

NavyLT wrote:
There were a couple of Department of Licensing Agencies that were posted no firearms, and when we brought them to Olympia's attention the signs were removed. Also several liquor stores have been reported to the Liquor Licensing Board that were posted no firearms and those signs came down too.

I would think a person would have a very good case against an agency if they were denied state funded services they would be otherwise entitled to if refusal was due to lawfully carrying a firearm.
I say this in a respectful way, but seeing how the D.O.L. is a state agency, can't they create their own policy against firearm possession? I'm not saying I would support it, because I wouldn't, but technically they would be able to according to state law.

I always thought Liquor stores were off limits, anyway, considering they sell alcohol, and are off limits to those under 21. I may be wrong, but that's what I thought.

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
imported post

The issue that comes into play is the general area open to the public. i.e. lobby of the DOL

And the areas that are not generally open to the public. i.e. the offices and employee break room, etc.

Per state law any area that is open to public accomodation is legal for carry. Areas that arefor employees only could be restricted per a 'policy'

Datacrypt1

imported post

Camp Murray recently released a policy prohibiting State employees from carrying firearms on Washington Military Department land/facilities. I'll see if I can get a copy to post.

PoppaGary

imported post

NavyLT wrote:
For instance, here is the WAC banning firearms in daycare centers:

http://apps.leg.wa.gov/wac/default.aspx?cite=170-295-5020

WAC 170-295-5020

How do I maintain a safe environment?

(1) You must maintain the building, equipment and premises in a safe manner that protects the children from injury hazards including but not limited to:

(a) Burns (for example: Chemicals or other potentially flammable substances);

(b) Drowning;

(c) Choking (for example: Ropes, wires, blind cords, fences not meeting requirements);

(d) Cuts (for example: Broken glass, sharp objects, abrasive surfaces);

(e) Entrapments (for example: The following items must not have openings between three and one-half inches and nine inches wide: Deck and fence rails, stair rails or other equipment);

(f) Falls from excessive heights;

(g) Gunshots by ensuring no firearm or another weapon is on the premises;

But does item (g) pertain to the owners/residents of said facility and not the visitors/customers?

We would need to look at the entire WAC section, but that seems to me how it could/could be interpreted. Again, they could ask you to leave if came by to leave/pickup your kids and they noticed you were carrying.

Gary

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
imported post

NavyLT wrote:

WAC 170-295-5020

(1) You must maintain the building, equipment and premises in a safe manner that protects the children from injury hazards including but not limited to:

(b) Drowning;

(c) Choking (for example: Ropes, wires, blind cords, fences not meeting requirements);

(e) Entrapments (for example: The following items must not have openings between three and one-half inches and nine inches wide: Deck and fence rails, stair rails or other equipment);

These Day Care Centers are licensed by the State but they are private property and should be handled as any other business, correct?

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
imported post

State Property, take a look the next time you visit the Employment Security Department (Work Source) as in Yakima it is posted "No Guns!"

Lammo

imported post

NavyLT wrote:

WAC 170-295-5020

(b) Drowning;

The WAC says:

"(g) Gunshots by ensuring no firearm or another weapon is on the premises;"

So, do you think they are suggesting you can get "gunshots" from "another weapon" that is not a firearm? :)

Daath 474

imported post

Every time I've ever entered a liquor store it was posted 21+ so I would think that is the same as the wording about being in establishments that prohibit minors. I've seen the Worksource and DMV signs banning firearms as well. Are you saying they can't do this?

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
imported post

Daath 474 wrote:
Every time I've ever entered a liquor store it was posted 21+ so I would think that is the same as the wording about being in establishments that prohibit minors. I've seen the Worksource and DMV signs banning firearms as well. Are you saying they can't do this?
Yes.

It violates State Preemption and the Washington State Constitution Art 1 Sec 24 The Right to Bear Arms and does not conform to RCW 9.41.300 Weapons prohibited in certain places -- Local laws and ordinances -- Exceptions -- Penalty.

amzbrady

imported post

State Property, take a look the next time you visit the Employment Security Department (Work Source) as in Yakima it is posted "No Guns!"

I think all Unemployment offices are "No Guns".

[line]

I have seen alot of people take their kids in the liquor storewith them.

Bill Starks

State Researcher
imported post

Correct the signs are wrong.

The Liquor store district manager said carry is OK and the signs DO NOT pertain to customers.

Liquor store email here:
http://forum.nwcdl.org/index.php?action=downloads;sa=downfile;id=49

DMV has never been an issue, in fact there have at times been reports of moving to the front of the line...

WorkSource corrected their signage at Lakewood and carry was not a problem after that.