• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open carrier discrimination

J.Gleason

Banned
imported post

qball54208 wrote:
Why would you be pissed off? It was done on a Comedy Show...
I don't think it shines a positive light on Open Carry.

By the way I did not realize this video was already posted on the forum.

Sorry for the repost.

Wisconsin Carry Inc. - Chairman

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
imported post

I'm rehashing this comment from a comment I made on the Wisconsin Carry Facebook page:

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=340160200214

(for those of you who want to join the facebook group)

I do think that this kind of publicity is very positive. First, it is comedy, so i expect them to take a position to try to make it funny and satirical. At the same time, all of this amounts to "normalization" of guns in the hands of law-abiding citizens which is a good thing. I'd rather have the tv comedy/news guys laughing about guns then running around spreading fear and tales of horror.

In other words, if they can make a joke about it... THAT demonstrates we are overcoming the politically correct "fear guns" mentality and overcoming the mentality that guns are taboo. I think some will probably scoff at the notion that discrimination against open-carriers is equivalent to discrimination against gays and lesbians, but for those who give it a little thought, it think there are a lot of parallels.

Overall, stuff like this, no matter what, normalizes guns. Doesn't even matter as much what the reporter says... the visuals of guys carrying guns in public eating ice cream, drinking coffee, walking down the street. No one running in fear, no one 'freaking out'. Those are powerful and demonstrative images.

J.Gleason

Banned
imported post

I see your point Nik, but the point I was making is as funny as the skit was for the part of the OCers, I think it would have been better that they had portrayed some of the over reactions of people when they see an OCer.

Then people could get a glance out of just how foolish some antis are when they see a gun.

You know, like the state trooper in sussex or the idiot that started yelling in Walmart.

I love comedy but in this case I would love to see fair comedy.

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
imported post

I think it would have been better that they had portrayed some of the over reactions of people when they see an OCer.

I think that would be misleading as over-reactions to OC'ers are exceptionally rare and statistically nearly non-existent.

When people OC... nothing happens. Its just a normal daily thing... I think the piece reflected as such. Anything else would have been sensational journalism.

M

McX

imported post

it is presented in a manner and level to appeal to someone bored as hell sitting up at half past midnight.

ffemt1079

imported post

McX wrote:
it is presented in a manner and level to appeal to someone bored as hell sitting up at half past midnight.

+10

Very true, I am usually up at 0dark:30 since I work thirds, and this is something to help pass the night.

ScottM

imported post

J.Gleason wrote:
I see your point Nik, but the point I was making is as funny as the skit was for the part of the OCers, I think it would have been better that they had portrayed some of the over reactions of people when they see an OCer.

Then people could get a glance out of just how foolish some antis are when they see a gun.

You know, like the state trooper in sussex or the idiot that started yelling in Walmart.

I love comedy but in this case I would love to see fair comedy.
J. Gleason, On the plus side how great is it that the MMM and Brady Campaign were referred to as hate groups. Helmke is probably way more annoyed than we should be.
On the whole I agree with Nick on the tone being positive for us and kudos to John for being media savvy enough to avoid being painted as a loon like some clueless congress critters have been.

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
imported post

On the plus side how great is it that the MMM and Brady Campaign were referred to as hate groups.

That was fantastic! And when you think about it... Ironically probably more true than they even intended to portray.

Think about it... The Brady Campaign and MMM's position are based on myths and misconceptions, not fact. Just like other forms of discrimination.

KansasKraut

imported post

When he rolled into that cafe with an AR strapped to his back I literally laughed out loud. At least the segment drew attention to the movement, fellas. Some press is better than no press, in this instance.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

J.Gleason wrote:
Maybe they would have portrayed over reactionshad there been any:cool:- but there wern't as usual (always for me personally).

J.Gleason

Banned
imported post

Don't get me wrong, it was funny. I guess I just get a little over protective of fellow OCers. There is that bond there and when you think some one isrippin on you for exercising your rights it doesn't take much for me to go off.

I guess this last couple of months with the whole walmart/starbucks protestor issues I just read to much into it.

Shotgun

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
imported post

I thought it was very funny. John knew what he was getting into when he agreed to appear. If you listen to his radio interviews, you know that he often makes comparisons between gays being accepted and OC being accepted by society at large. The Daily Show played right into this. I particularly enjoyed how they portrayed the antis as hate groups-- right on the money there, no parody needed.

jamesisel

imported post

HILARIOUS !!!

"While I could never fully understand what real discrimination looks like......." aaaand cut to close up of black reporters face.

Excellent.