Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Restaurant (parking lot) shooting in Amelia

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    VA
    Posts
    700

    Post imported post

    http://www2.timesdispatch.com/rtd/ne...113002/336970/




    [line]AMELIA -- Amelia County authorities are investigating a shooting at a restaurant that seriously injured a man.

    The county sheriff's office said the shooting occurred at 8:02 p.m. yesterday and led to one man being flown by helicopter to VCU Medical Center in Richmond with life-threatening injuries.

    The shooting followed an argument between two men that began inside the B&N Grill on U.S. 360 and then spilled into the parking lot, where the victim was shot.

    The sheriff's office said Donald Brooks of Amelia was charged with two counts of attempted second-degree murder, two of using a firearm in a felony and one of malicious wounding.[line]

    I wonder if the "please veto" crowd has bombarded the governor's office with emails yet. As another user on here said, it's starting to seem like McDonnell will listen to who makes the most noise.

    Either way it adds more fuel to the anti's fire and the irresponsible actions of one will be another talking point in the argument to curtail the rights of all of us.




  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Louisa County, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    821

    Post imported post

    The real issue to me is that the stories of successful self-defense NEVER make the news, even thought they greatly outweigh these incidents.

    Those not in our circle have no idea...

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    VA
    Posts
    700

    Post imported post

    Glock27Bill wrote:
    The real issue to me is that the stories of successful self-defense NEVER make the news, even thought they greatly outweigh these incidents.

    Those not in our circle have no idea...
    This is true... and when they do it's normally because it's more of a questionable "was this justified" type of story with a good amount of spin on it meant to make a villain out of the good guy.


    Came home and this was the first item in my Google Reader list. :?

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Haymarket/Gainesville/Arlington/GMU , Virginia, USA
    Posts
    227

    Post imported post

    Its really a shame that we are lumped into the possible non-legal carrying riff raff that comes upon a firearm and uses it in a stupid action like this.

    Hopefully McDonnell wont listen to the anti's screaming. More often than not its just white noise anyway :P
    OC - Kimber Custom II - trijicon night sights, beveled mag well, and Wilson combat mags
    CC/OC Sig Sauer 229 - trijicon night sights

  5. #5
    Regular Member Dreamer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Grennsboro NC
    Posts
    5,358

    Post imported post

    Hmmmm... Sounds like spin to me....

    We don't really know what happened, but just as a speculation, what if it ACTUALLY went down like this:


    John Doe (who was legally OCing) was at a restaurant enjoying a plate of hot wings with his friends, when a drunken, belligerent patron (Joe Smith) accosted him verbally after drunkenly stumbling over Doe's chair, and took issue with Doe's legally-holstered firearm.

    Doe finished his meal as Smith continued accosting him, then paid his tab and told his friends he was leaving because he felt uncomfortable with the obnoxious patron.

    Smith followed Doe out to the parking lot, where he continued in a drunken rage to accost and berate Doe. Doe attempted to get in his vehicle and flee, but Smith grabbed his coat and reached for Doe's firearm, attempting to take it from Doe's level-2 retention holster. He began punching Doe with his free hand, and kicking at him with his steel-toed boot-clad feet.

    Doe broke away from Smith's drunken fumbling, and loudly told him to leave him alone. When Smith persisted and lunged at him again, Doe drew his firearm, and again warned Smith to leave him alone. Smith lunged for Doe's gun trying to wrestle it from Doe's hands, and in the ensuing struggle, Doe fired, in fear for his life.

    Doe was given a breathalizer by responding police officers, and found to have no alcohol in his system. His restaurant tab also reflected that he had only purchased cola during his meal.

    Smith's bar tab revealed he had consumed 7 beers, 4 shots of tequilla, and blood work from the hospital revealed he had cocaine in his system...

    The victim of this brutal attack, John Doe, sustained minimal injuries including scratches to his face and arms, and small bruises to his face and wrists.

    Emergency room representatives report that the attacker, Smith's injuries were critical, but that he should consider himself lucky to be alive, considering he was being such a rude, belligerent, drunken A$$hat...
    Yeah, you'll NEVER see a story like THAT in the papers.

    The media sucks.
    It is our cause to dispel the foggy thinking which avoids hard decisions in the delusion that a world of conflict will somehow mysteriously resolve itself into a world of harmony, if we just don't rock the boat or irritate the forces of aggression—and this is hogwash."
    --Barry Goldwater, 1964

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Haymarket/Gainesville/Arlington/GMU , Virginia, USA
    Posts
    227

    Post imported post

    Dreamer wrote:
    Hmmmm... Sounds like spin to me....

    We don't really know what happened, but just as a speculation, what if it ACTUALLY went down like this:

    John Doe (who was legally OCing) was at a restaurant enjoying a plate of hot wings with his friends, when a drunken, belligerent patron (Joe Smith) accosted him verbally after drunkenly stumbling over Doe's chair, and took issue with Doe's legally-holstered firearm.

    Doe finished his meal as Smith continued accosting him, then paid his tab and told his friends he was leaving because he felt uncomfortable with the obnoxious patron.

    Smith followed Doe out to the parking lot, where he continued in a drunken rage to accost and berate Doe. Doe attempted to get in his vehicle and flee, but Smith grabbed his coat and reached for Doe's firearm, attempting to take it from Doe's level-2 retention holster. He began punching Doe with his free hand, and kicking at him with his steel-toed boot-clad feet.

    Doe broke away from Smith's drunken fumbling, and loudly told him to leave him alone. When Smith persisted and lunged at him again, Doe drew his firearm, and again warned Smith to leave him alone. Smith lunged for Doe's gun trying to wrestle it from Doe's hands, and in the ensuing struggle, Doe fired, in fear for his life.

    Doe was given a breathalizer by responding police officers, and found to have no alcohol in his system. His restaurant tab also reflected that he had only purchased cola during his meal.

    Smith's bar tab revealed he had consumed 7 beers, 4 shots of tequilla, and blood work from the hospital revealed he had cocaine in his system...

    The victim of this brutal attack, John Doe, sustained minimal injuries including scratches to his face and arms, and small bruises to his face and wrists.

    Emergency room representatives report that the attacker, Smith's injuries were critical, but that he should consider himself lucky to be alive, considering he was being such a rude, belligerent, drunken A$$hat...
    Yeah, you'll NEVER see a story like THAT in the papers.

    The media sucks.
    Id pay good money to see a story like that run ONCE.
    OC - Kimber Custom II - trijicon night sights, beveled mag well, and Wilson combat mags
    CC/OC Sig Sauer 229 - trijicon night sights

  7. #7
    Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    13,580

    Post imported post

    NightmareSHANIQUA wrote:
    Its really a shame that we are lumped into the possible non-legal carrying riff raff that comes upon a firearm and uses it in a stupid action like this.

    Hopefully McDonnell wont listen to the anti's screaming. More often than not its just white noise anyway :P
    I've been keeping up with this all day. What makes you think he was carrying illegally?

    I know the area and the people and have a pretty good idea what happened. Not quite as innocent as what Dreamer was projecting but it wasn't a sick massacre either.

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    VA
    Posts
    700

    Post imported post

    http://www2.timesdispatch.com/rtd/ne...174001/342036/

    [line]
    Amelia shooting victim dies

    A man wounded last month in an Amelia shooting has died, and authorities there have charged his alleged assailant with murder. Gerald E. Hall, 54, died yesterday, officials said.

    The Amelia County Sheriff's Office said today that Donald L. Brooks, 68, now is charged with first-degree murder; he arranged through his lawyer to surrender this morning.

    Brooks is charged with the shooting death of Hall, during an altercation April 12 at the B&N Grill in Amelia; Hall died yesterday. A bond of $125,000 was set this morning, and a preliminary hearing is scheduled for June 22.
    [line]

  9. #9
    Regular Member kennys's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Ruther Glen Va
    Posts
    508

    Post imported post

    On a realistic note bad things happen in all shapes and sizes. This is the human race and it would be unrealistic to believe that tragedies and stupidity don’t happen.



    On that note, it is quite often us gun owners are often singled out over many more instances of tragic occurrences. Wrongful death by the police, doctors, distracted, drunk or reckless drivers, even companies that would rather risk safety over out put, just to mention a few.



    My view is if a criminal act takes place there are laws on the books, prosecute and punish, don’t just give them a vacation stay at the local country club with all the amenities. Make it count, not only for a punishment but as well as a deterrent. We don't need more laws.



    Each individual should be treated as just that an individual, it is not our fault this happened. Anti gun people need to grow up and get a life and stop attacking honest American gun owners just because of someone’s single stupid self act. Of the entire problems alcohol can cause, including disease, abuse, sexual abuse and death, it shows how there priorities lye trying to medal in the business of our God given rights over issues that cause greater problems.



    Meaning no disrespect to any one, Snit happens, take it as a lesson and move on. If we celebrated life more in this country than death maybe we would actually get somewhere.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •