• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

three weeks OCing and only one incident in seal beach

oifoefvet

imported post

I have been OCing here in seal beach now for over three weeks now, and I have only had one run in with the local police, and it was very un eventful, quick and easy. The businesses around here have never said anything, most of the folks here seem to not even mind at all. I had only one run in with what I think was a retired female police officer. She was telling me how it was only a matter of time before I was killed because of me OCing. I tried in vain to tell her some of the reasons why I would be less likely to be approached by a bad guy, but she wasnt buying it. I told her I can load and be ready in under three seconds, and I bet it would take her longer to reach down under the table to get her weapon out of her purse than me to be ready. I also told her that it was unlikely for a bad guy to see me with what he would only asume was loaded, than an un armed person to try to rob him. I also deture crime due to me OCing daily. I love this town. I have even talked to some business owners and they would have no problem with some OCers having a meet here. I am going what I can to educate the public and others about open carry. I have even had a few public persons ask me about it and they say it is great that someone is finally doing what we have the right to do. they have even asked about the web site after some conversations. 98% of everyone I talk to is fine with me OCing here. I do plan some OC events in Long Beach, because of the high gay comunity there, I am just waiting for someone to ask me about my gun, so I can tell them about my rights as well. We'll see. I am a daily OCer have no plans to stop now.

bigtoe416

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

Right on! Glad to hear everything has gone well.

oifoefvet wrote:
I do plan some OC events in Long Beach, because of the high gay comunity there...
This could be taken the wrong way...clarification?

Ca Patriot

imported post

Belmont Shores has a very large gay population. My cousin is gay and he lives there, lol.

Ca Patriot

imported post

bigtoe416 wrote:
Right on! Glad to hear everything has gone well.

oifoefvet wrote:
I do plan some OC events in Long Beach, because of the high gay comunity there...
This could be taken the wrong way...clarification?
How did YOU take it ?

markm

imported post

Hey BigToe,

I agree with you. I did not know what to think about the gay statement. Gay peopleare cool. I have spent lots of time in Long Beach and was treated well by everybody there.

I think Oifevet miswrote.

markm

bigtoe416

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

Ca Patriot wrote:
How did YOU take it ?
I'm less worried about how I take it and more worried how some anti could misconstrue it. I know most everybody on this forum are great people. Just thought some clarification couldn't hurt.

Ca Patriot

imported post

bigtoe416 wrote:
Ca Patriot wrote:
How did YOU take it ?
I'm less worried about how I take it and more worried how some anti could misconstrue it. I know most everybody on this forum are great people. Just thought some clarification couldn't hurt.

Why are gun owners so concerned with how the anti's will think ? We already know that the anti-'s are ANTI no matter what !!!

I cant speak for the OP but it sounded to me like he was maybe trying to draw a comparison to the gays concerns about rights and freedomsto the gun owners concerns about rights and freedoms.

markm

imported post

CA Patriot wrote,

"Why are gun owners so concerned with how the anti's will think ? We already know that the anti-'s are ANTI no matter what !!!

I cant speak for the OP but it sounded to me like he was maybe trying to draw a comparison to the gays concerns about rights and freedomsto the gun owners concerns about rights and freedoms."

If Oifvetmeant itthat way, I agree, no issue.

Back to OCing for three weeks and only one LEO event. Wow, has Oifevet been lucky? Are the LEOs in his area OK? Or, does Oifevet present himself well and eliminate issues by "blending into his environment?"

Oifovet,

What's up? What should we learn from you?

About two months ago, I saw a person egressing a hospital. He had a pistol on his hip. He was dressed well, he had a smile on his face, he looked comfortable, and he seemed to be going about his business.

He did not have a badge nor was he wearing a uniform. I thought, he is either OCing or he is a detective. But detectives conceal their weapons.

Either way, nobody seemed to care. I don't know.

Are there laws that restrict open carry in hospitals?

markm

Edit: Sorry Oifoefvet, I spelled your handle incorrectly.

oifoefvet

imported post

I ment nor do I mean no disrespect for the gay comunity out there, I just wanted to make a point, that if others can accept the gay rights, then they should have no problem accepting my rights. after all it is all about rights correct? As far as how I present myself, I am an every day normal person. I do not act disrespectful, nor do I act angry or rough. I am just being myself. Ploite and considerate. Just because I carry does not mean I am anything but a gentleman in public. I just think the police out here respect our rights and give us as much respect as we give them. It is all about being no better than anyone esle out there. I am just a regular 'joe public' as far as I believe.

Mike Hawk

imported post

oifoefvet wrote:
I ment nor do I mean no disrespect for the gay comunity out there, I just wanted to make a point, that if others can accept the gay rights, then they should have no problem accepting my rights. after all it is all about rights correct? As far as how I present myself, I am an every day normal person. I do not act disrespectful, nor do I act angry or rough. I am just being myself. Ploite and considerate. Just because I carry does not mean I am anything but a gentleman in public. I just think the police out here respect our rights and give us as much respect as we give them. It is all about being no better than anyone esle out there. I am just a regular 'joe public' as far as I believe.
It doesn't matter if one IS straight. What matters is ifonecanSHOOT straight!;)

markm

imported post

Mike Hunt wrote:
oifoefvet wrote:
It doesn't matter if one IS straight. What matters is ifonecanSHOOT straight!;)

Here, here!!!!

+1

oifoefvet

imported post

Hello all, just bringing you an upsdate, I am currently sitting in a Starbucks, having a great expensive cup of coffee, and so far, there have been two detectives and one plain clothes officer to walk past me as I use my computer, with my OC in plain sight, the detectives looked and just walked past, the other officer just didn't even nothice. I love this country, long beach is great. Have a great day.

markm

imported post

oifoefvet wrote:
Hello all, just bringing you an upsdate, I am currently sitting in a Starbucks, having a great expensive cup of coffee, and so far, there have been two detectives and one plain clothes officer to walk past me as I use my computer, with my OC in plain sight, the detectives looked and just walked past, the other officer just didn't even nothice. I love this country, long beach is great. Have a great day.

Hello oifoefvet,

Way to Go!

I spoke with Publius at the Sacramento Tea Party Rally. He is a good guy. He is doing the same thing that you are doing where he lives. Hopefully, I will be OCing in Roseville and Sacramento soon. If we all keep it up, this whole issue may become a yawner to all. I know that this has been one of the goals all along, but it may beworking; thanks to all who have blazed this trail.

In politics, the "law of unintended consequences" is always at work. In that sense, politics is just like war. If Saldana's bill passes, and the governator signs it, this may be like putting napalm on a hot fire. The democrats blame the 1994 revolution on their attempts at gun control. They are sure that if they avoid gun control this time, they won't suffer like they did in 1994. We'll see what the colateral damage is from Saldana's bill. A loss for us now may become a huge gain later--I dunno!

Its OK if you think my point is the musing of the village idiot--really, I'm OK with that.

markm

CA_Libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

oifoefvet wrote:
I think it's mostly Hollywood that has some of us convinced that the gay community is largely liberal and anti-gun. It's like the idea that among the gay community being a republican is kept in the closet. I don't buy it... that's just Hollywood writing a good ironic story.

I personally know only three homosexuals... but all three of them are gun-loving Republicans. (Now if I can just get them to come around to the libertarian idealism...)

markm

imported post

CA_Libertarian wrote:
I personally know only three homosexuals... but all three of them are gun-loving Republicans. (Now if I can just get them to come around to the libertarian idealism...)

Hey CA_Libertarian,

Many of us republicans have libertarian beliefs; however,most Libertarians focus on a few narrow issues, andwith such zealotry, that many of us shy away from the label.

Also, Libertarians don't have the political juice to win elections. I vote for the person who shares my ideologybest, and CAN WIN! Libertarians don't have the following to win. My House Rep McClintock matches my ideology vary well. My state legislators are pretty good too. They happen to be republicans.

markm

Ca Patriot

imported post

CA_Libertarian wrote:
oifoefvet wrote: I think it's mostly Hollywood that has some of us convinced that the gay community is largely liberal and anti-gun. It's like the idea that among the gay community being a republican is kept in the closet. I don't buy it... that's just Hollywood writing a good ironic story.

Every poll I have seen shows gays vote about 70-80% democrat and in 2008 Obama got about 85% of the gay vote.

Dont count on gays to be a supporter of gun rights.

ISRAEL

imported post

Me too. I am new at this O.C. "revolution". I been O.Cing in downtown Boise for 5 weeks now and no problems with anybody. Oh How I love Boise Id.

I think that a gay man started the O.C. movement in Seattle ,I may be wrong, somebody out ther will know his name. Su amigo vaquero: Israel.

ps. Are any Hispanic or Latino O.C. in California ?, not all latinos are "democrats".