Thread: Detroit News Coverage of Lansing 2A March

Post imported post

Gun fans rally for rights in Lansing

http://detnews.com/article/20100413/...410/1409/rss36

Mark Hornbeck / Detroit News Lansing Bureau
    "Lansing[/i] -- An afternoon rally drew about 300 gun enthusiasts, many of them armed with handguns or rifles, to the lawn of the State Capitol today to celebrate the Second Amendment, listen to political speeches and munch on hot dogs. . . ."
    "The principle of self-defense, even involving weapons and bloodshed, has never been condemned, even by Gandhi . . ."--Dr. Martin Luther King Jr

He who cannot protect himself or his nearest and dearest or their honor by non-violently facing death, may and ought to do so by violently dealing with the oppressor. He who can do neither of the two is a burden.--M. K. Gandhi

"First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win." --M. K. Gandhi

Post imported post

"When he told the audience he doesn't have a gun, someone shouted: "Here, you want to borrow mine?"

beautiful.
    not a lawyer, dont take anything i say as legal advice.

Post imported post

lil_freak_66 wrote:
    "When he told the audience he doesn't have a gun, someone shouted: "Here, you want to borrow mine?"

beautiful.
    I'd rather he didn't have to add that caveat, but w/e.

Post imported post

I look at it this way.. the fact that he doesn't have guns but still understands and wants the right to have them if he so chooses is just as powerful if not more powerful.

You know I haven't needed some of the rights that are enumerated in the bill of rights but I still will fight for every one of them.

Anything I post may be my opinion and not the law... you are responsible to do your own verification.

Blackstone (1753-1765) maintains that "the law holds that it is better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."

Post imported post

autosurgeon wrote:
    I look at it this way.. the fact that he doesn't have guns but still understands and wants the right to have them if he so chooses is just as powerful if not more powerful.

You know I haven't needed some of the rights that are enumerated in the bill of rights but I still will fight for every one of them.

Great point, I concede.

Post imported post

FatboyCykes wrote:
    autosurgeon wrote:

Great point, I concede.
    wasn't arguing just observing... but hey if I win..... :celebrate
    Anything I post may be my opinion and not the law... you are responsible to do your own verification.

Blackstone (1753-1765) maintains that "the law holds that it is better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."

Post imported post

autosurgeon wrote:
    FatboyCykes wrote:
    autosurgeon wrote:

Great point, I concede.
    wasn't arguing just observing... but hey if I win..... :celebrate
    STOP RUBBING IT IN!

Post imported post

Video up already

I'm in in so are a few others!

http://www.wilx.com/home/headlines/90784469.html

Post imported post

Truth be told, the 'here, want to borrow mine' mentality is beautiful in it's own respect too.

Were we ever to need to defend our country, one man owning 100 guns does us no good. He cannot fire them all at the same time.

100 men owning one gun does us much more good.

All opinions posted on opencarry.org are my own, and do not necessarily reflect the views of opencarry.org or Michigan Open Carry Inc.

Post imported post

lil_freak_66 wrote:

beautiful.
    Actually I think it was, "We can change that!" or something similar. But it doesn't really matter.
    "You'll be walking along.. OC.. and you'll feel GREAT. You'll feel FREEEEE like 1776 kind of Free." -cscitney87

Post imported post

Whats up with the stow guns in our cars comment..

Post imported post

22-250 wrote:
    Whats up with the stow guns in our cars comment..
    A law passed in several other states that allow employees to "stow" their firearms (pistols) in their vehicles while on company property that was otherwise a prohibited area to possess firearms by company policy.

Post imported post

But thats not the case here in Michigan, is it?

Post imported post

22-250 wrote:
    Not yet, I believe it's in the works...

Post imported post

No, I mean we can keep guns in our cars? or not?

Post imported post

SpringerXDacp wrote:
    22-250 wrote:
    Not yet, I believe it's in the works...
    Yes they were discussing the parking lot bill.

Post imported post

22-250 wrote:
    If your employer prohibits firearms on company property, you can face termination, but you have not violated any firearm laws in Michigan doing so. Assuming of course, you can legally be in possession of a firearm and you are not employed by the government (State, Federal).

Post imported post

22-250 wrote:
    The bill will make it legal to stow your firearm in your vehicle while at work. It has not come to a floor vote yet.

So at this time if your employer does not allow firearms you still have to abide by that at this time.

It will basically make your vehicle your private property for the purpose of firearms storage at your place of employment.

Post imported post

Thanks Guy's, when is the vote?

Post imported post

That somewhat depends on how many of the reps hear that WE want this passed.

Post imported post

SpringerXDacp wrote:
    22-250 wrote:
    No, I mean we can keep guns in our cars?* or not?
    If your employer prohibits firearms on company property, you can face termination, but you have not violated any firearm laws in Michigan doing so.* Assuming of course, you can legally be in possession of a firearm and you are not employed by the government (State, Federal).
    This is not true. When a company informs its employees thar firearms are prohibited. Failure to do so the to the employee is usually termination but you can also be considered as trespassing. Therefore if you ever had to defend yourself you could be considered using your firearm while committing a crime. We had a good discussion on this same issue on the way home from the march. Scott & Rob could probably explain better then me. But its definitely not like how you explained above. You are not free and clear and its not a clear cut situation. Legally I would never recomend anyone to do this.

Mike

ps: im not a lawyer just my opinion above.

Post imported post

mikestilly wrote:
    SpringerXDacp wrote:
    22-250 wrote:
    If your employer prohibits firearms on company property, you can face termination, but you have not violated any firearm laws in Michigan doing so. Assuming of course, you can legally be in possession of a firearm and you are not employed by the government (State, Federal).
    This is not true. When a company informs its employees thar firearms are prohibited. Failure to do so the to the employee is usually termination but you can also be considered as trespassing. Therefore if you ever had to defend yourself you could be considered using your firearm while committing a crime. We had a good discussion on this same issue on the way home from the march. Scott & Rob could probably explain better then me. But its definitely not like how you explained above. You are not free and clear and its not a clear cut situation. Legally I would never recomend anyone to do this.

Mike

ps: im not a lawyer just my opinion above.

Mike, you're taking this far beyond what was asked, but since we're there now...

If you carry (OC or CC) into an establishment that's posted "No Weapons" on the entrance doors, are you trespassing under Michigan law?

As far as the Self Defense Act goes, how is an employee who's on the clock and inside a building going to defend hem or herself when the pistol is locked up in a trunk? Themain purpose of the law that several other states recognized is so the employee has a means of self defense while commuting to and from his or her place of employment.

MOC Charter Member Westland, Michigan, USA

Post imported post

Make a new thread guys....

Back on topic please