• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Target Sports IS OC Friendly and Supports All Forms of Carry!

mikestilly

imported post

We just got back from the Second Amendment March in Lansing and paid a visit to Target Sports in Royal Oak. Sprinklerguy, Scot623, and I all open carrying had some great conversations with the owner and the employees of Target Sports about open carry. The only reason they were a little apprehensive to OC at first was because they were uncertain of the laws and were worried about not being in compliance with the law. Which in reality is a general concern of most people who are new to open carry. I do not fault them for that. Now that they've been brought up to speed they support all forms of carry in their store and unlike many guns stores their staff is nice and helpful. They also have a great selection of handguns, long guns and Michigan pistols. Even though I haven't used their range yet it looked quite new and much cleaner then other ones I've been to. We definitely recommend to support this 2A friendly store!

FatboyCykes

imported post

mikestilly wrote:
We just got back from the Second Amendment March in Lansing and paid a visit to Target Sports in Royal Oak. Sprinklerguy, Scot623, and I all open carrying had some great conversations with the owner and the employees of Target Sports about open carry. The only reason they were a little apprehensive to OC at first was because they were uncertain of the laws and were worried about not being in compliance with the law. Which in reality is a general concern of most people who are new to open carry. I do not fault them for that. Now that they've been brought up to speed they support all forms of carry in their store and unlike many guns stores their staff is nice and helpful. They also have a great selection of handguns, long guns and Michigan pistols. Even though I haven't used their range yet it looked quite new and much cleaner then other ones I've been to. We definitely recommend to support this 2A friendly store!
Great job guys, I'm looking forward to using their range :)

scot623

imported post

I am also very excited about having a local OC friendly gun store/range near by. Michigun was my store of choice until they recently decided they were anti-OC. The selection of guns at Target Sport in Royal oak is almost overwhelming...it's fantastic. I'll be spending my firearm dollars there for sure.

fozzy71

imported post

Great news, as I am planning to buy another gun soon after I take my CPL class this weekend. I will probably still do some of my practice shooting in roseville because it's so close, but I certainly won't buy another gun from either of the local anti-oc shops.

malignity

imported post

Awesome! I've bought 2 guns from there, and decided not to go back once I heard about their OC policy. Now that I hear it's groovy, I'll start going back again.

stainless1911

Banned
imported post

Ill start going there again too.

There are 2 hand guns I want to buy as of now, a Walther p22, and a Kimber custom eclipse 2. I havent decided on long guns yet, but if money were no issue, Id be getting a Remmington 700, a Binelli 12 ga, and maybe a Socom 16, or AR 15.

What about the restrictive range rules"? they need to besomewhere along the lines of the pit.

malignity

imported post

Not sure what the range rules are at the pit, but i know for sure that they don't allow rapid fire, that's the only one I can think of that really stands out. Most ranges don't allow it though, at least not down here.

stainless1911

Banned
imported post

No rapid fire?!? The guys were telling me that folks bring automatics out almost every sunday. And there isnt anyone there to enforce anything.

There is a sign with the 4 safety rules, and something else.( I couldnt read, the sign was shot up). And another rule posted several places to keep people from shooting towards the road, and to establish a firing line.

SpringerXDacp

imported post

stainless1911 wrote:
No rapid fire?!? The guys were telling me that folks bring automatics out almost every sunday. And there isnt anyone there to enforce anything.

There is a sign with the 4 safety rules, and something else.( I couldnt read, the sign was shot up). And another rule posted several places to keep people from shooting towards the road, and to establish a firing line.

"but i know for sure that they don't allow rapid fire"

Me thinks Malignity is talking about Target not the Pit.

slabside

imported post

Target's people are great, and their NEW range on Orchard Lake and Commerce rds is OUTSTANDING! -brand new facility, lots of range space, and very clean!

dougwg

MOC Charter Member Westland, Michigan, USA
imported post

I really wish some of you would think before typing...

Rapid fire: Damn near any range will allow it...IF THEY KNOW YOU.

The whole reason to restrict it is to protect the range. They don't want people that can't shoot controlled rapid fire doing it.

If you frequent a gun range and show them proficiency I highly doubt they'll give you crap forcontrolled rapid fire.

Don't expect to be new to a range and feel you can do as you please.

Also, even if they do know you and you have showed control and have shot rapid at a particular range you shouldn't do it when they're busy. Reason being is that some NEW guy will see you rapid shooting and think it's ok for them to do it too.

Back on topic...thumbsup to Target Sports for doing the right thing.

stainless1911

Banned
imported post

I did think before typing. I know all of those reasons, and you are correct. The problem that so many were having, is that the ranges werent giving people a chance. Unless as you said, they knew you. Things neednt be that way. You shouldnt have to "know someone" in order to practice saving your life and others. Except for Bass Pro, which gave me the excuse, "If we let you do it, we will have to let everyone else do it." This, after I got scolded for running the target all the way out, hit the return control, and fired all 13 rounds before the target got back to me. 8 1/2 x 11 paper with zero misses. I havent been back.

At advanced ranges, you go in, and double tap a couple times, the range officer will start watching you, and if you can be proficient, they wont say anything. Even to a new-b. Same goes for rapid fire, and holster firing. I went in the first time, I knew I was being observed, but no one said anything.I thanked them for it, and told them they were now my new range, and that I would send others their way. They told me that all they ask is that people be safe, and if you can keep the hits on the paper, they will let you, butif you cant, then they wont. This is all I ask of any range.

malignity

imported post

I was talking about Target. They don't allow rapid fire if I remember correctly. Sorry about the confusion. Good point though about the full autos. I haven't been to Target Sports in the last 6 months or so, so maybe they've changed the rules? I dunno.

scot623

imported post

All this rapid fire talk got me thinking...is
it really that important to practice emptying your magazine in under 10 seconds? I would think 2-3 shot bursts would be a more effective training method for self defense. If your carry/self protection gun is a .22 pistol, then maybe you'll need to empty a magazine into an assailant. Otherwise any caliber .380 and up, 2-3 shots to the face or chest would drop 99% of people not hopped up on PCP.

malignity

imported post

I just called them up. (Looking for them to work on my Glock. They don't have a gunsmith unfortunately. :( )

They basically don't have any rules as to rapid fire, however, they did say that they do expect you to act as a responsible gun owner, and he did say specifically 'If you act a fool, we're gonna kick you out."

So there you have it, I was almost, sorta kinda right. :lol:

dougwg

MOC Charter Member Westland, Michigan, USA
imported post

malignity wrote:
I just called them up. (Looking for them to work on my Glock. They don't have a gunsmith unfortunately. :( )

They basically don't have any rules as to rapid fire, however, they did say that they do expect you to act as a responsible gun owner, and he did say specifically 'If you act a fool, we're gonna kick you out."

So there you have it, I was almost, sorta kinda right. :lol:

As it should be...

About the glock...Why the need to work on it? I thought it was "perfect"! :p

malignity

imported post

Just some trigger work :)

Want to get a lighter and smoother trigger pull for better accuracy. My accuracy is good now, but I think with a bit of tweaking I could make it better.