• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Carrying (open and concealed) in Ulster County

TravisB

imported post

Hello, I am a firearm enthusiast here in Ulster County. I am under 21. My mother, however, is looking for a pistol permit. I am going into the service soon, and I want her to be able to protect herself, especially after an incident at her work that was a potential robbery.

There are many cases in our area of being RESTRICTED to the home with their handguns.

Are there any arguments for her to supply the judge so she may not be restricted in such a way? Concealing is prefered, but even just a normal carry (open carry I believe you all refer to it as) is completely fine, in comparison to a restricted permit.

Thanks for your time!

Travis.

redlegagent

imported post

First - there is no open carry in NYS so forget that. As to getting a permit, I'm afraid it's basically up to the judge where you live. The closer to NYC, the tighter the restrictions it seems. If she lives alone or has been assaulted before or has an order of protection, that may help with justisfication for a concealed carry. It would probably improve her odds if she has taken an approved firearms safety course at a minimum. It also helps if she knows people or is active in the community - volunteer fire/EMS etc. Ultimately, it's up to the judge. ;)

oneofthepeople

imported post

You could apply for the purpose: Hunting, target Practice, and the protection of life and property as allowed by law" and see what happens. I bet she gets it unless there is positive good cause for denial.