• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Anti-Open Carry propaganda ad

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

This should really be in the California subforum, as the video is made in the context of this state (legal if unloaded, contact Saldaña).

Anyway, that was the dumbest thing I've ever seen. I actually watched it several times, laughing.

The only thing I'm surprised by is that there any participants old enough to grow facial hair.

I made higher-quality video productions in high school. :quirky

Big Boy

imported post

Yep, cause we all just get that sudden itch to start shooting at other open carriers...who support the same values we do...that makes sense.

It's been said a million times, BAD GUYS DON'T WANT YOU TO KNOW THEY ARE ARMED! Yes crime could happen from someone OC'ing but it's an about 99.9% that it wont. They want to hide it and get away.

I can't believe people actually believe that this is what is going to happen when someone is carrying. Maybe if they had a little bit better production quality they would have had the gun just magically jump out of the holster and start shooting everyone on it's own. Because it's evil. Has evil thoughts, and wants to take over the world. :cuss::banghead:

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

The whole premise is completely absurd.

One open carrier sees another open carrier, starts watching him like he's waiting for the guy to try something, then a balloon pops and a baby dies.

Pretty much every step of that sequence is utterly disconnected from reality.

First of all, when one open carrier sees another, both open carriers are like, "Sweet! Another open carrier!"

This is because, even with Vermont carry, criminals prefer to carry concealed as it makes it much easier to "blend in", which is important when you're wanted for past crimes or about to commit a new one. Even the merely irresponsible don't last long if they carry a firearm openly Thus, it's a darn good assumption that any other non-LEO open carrier isn't a violent criminal or someone you need to worry about.

So, when that open carrier sees the other, he's going to be even more put at ease, quite contrary to the notion that two open carriers will set each other on edge. :quirky

Next, a balloon popping is never going to be confused with a gun being discharged in the immediate vicinity (i.e. close enough that someone is going to feel the need to "shoot something" in response). For a gun to sound like a balloon it must be distant enough that the immediate response is going to be "wtf was that?", not "oh that was that guy over there shooting something now I have to shoot him!". :quirky

Finally, even if a gun were to be discharged in the vicinity -- say the other OCer's gun magically discharged in its holster (maybe the Brady Bunch starts working as gunsmiths as their next strategy) -- people aren't just going to instantly shoot the nearest baby. :quirky

That just isn't how it works. When you hear a gunshot, your reaction is not to reach out and flinch at whatever is nearby. The reaction is to take cover. Only after a threat has been positively identified will a person start shooting in response, and even then there is the value consideration of the effectiveness vs necessity of the shot.

I shouldn't have wasted my time articulating how stupid that obviously inane piece of garbage is. Did I mention :quirky?

Packer fan

imported post

I laughed when I watched this video too.

"As long as you don't have one in the pipe" who talks like that and when the balloon popped the actor never ran the action, so in his own video he was illegal.

The antis are as bright as a burnt out light bulb in a dark room.

Plus laying the loaded gun on the table I think the camera man would have gotten scared and told him to piont that thing somewhere else.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Packer fan wrote:
Plus laying the loaded gun on the table I think the camera man would have gotten scared and told him to piont that thing somewhere else.
The (airsoft) gun was intended to be unloaded (hence the "don't have one in the pipe comment"), because this video was made in the context of California.

However, the whole thing about taking it out and putting on the table was stupid anyway. Who would ever do that? Why?

It must seriously hurt to be that f'in dumb.

Packer fan

imported post

What I think is funny is that they think they are that much smarter than you or I and they make videos like this. Scary thing is that people believe it.

It's better for a man to think you a fool than to make a video and ti prove it.:banghead:

brolin_1911a1

imported post

The other three videos posted by that poster are all "puff" pieces for San Francisco area far-left (but I repeat myself) politicians. That makes it clear where he gets his distorted ideas. He probably hasn't been within fifty miles of a legal firearm or legal firearm owner let alone been exposed to any actual firearms training in his life.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

That video is a "puff piece" for Lori Saldaña, who is the representative for the 76th district, which is in San Diego, which is nowhere near San Francisco.

For the record. Unless I'm missing something.

MK

imported post

At first I thought this video was so stupid and badly done that there is no way it could be any threat to one's right to carry a firearm. If anything, even an imbecil could see it clearly for what it is.

Then I thought about the movie Reefer Madness,itsmisrepresentations, the results, and I realize thisform of stupid and outlandish propaganda, no matter how much it distorts the truth in bizarre and nonsensical fashion, can be a huge threat to our liberty. Couple this illogical scenario withmany common Americans'gullibility andno telling what can come out of it.

Ranchero

imported post

I left comments on that video the day it came out, but they didn't like what I had to say, so they disable comments.

That scenario is way beyond fiction.

brolin_1911a1

imported post

Ranchero wrote:
I left comments on that video the day it came out, but they didn't like what I had to say, so they disable comments.

That scenario is way beyond fiction.
Way, way back in the late eighties, before the internet when computer bulletin board systems (BBS) were the state of the art, and 1200baud was fast, I learned that anti-gunners prefer to avoid any forum where their opponents have the opportunity to post. Anti-gunners prefer to post on "closed" websites where comments are disabled or where they can first "moderate" any opposing opinions that might contain inconvenient truths. Like vampires and cockroaches, they can't stand the light.