• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Another "Kicked out of Wal-Mart"

Braveheart23C

imported post

I was at the Wal-Mart in Clinton this evening and saw a lady OCing. She was looking at some movies and talking on her phone. I went down another aisle and was going to try to make it back to her to thank her for OCing, but when I came back around she had been confronted by a manager and was being told she had to leave the store. She offered to conceal the gun, a service model XD, but was told by the manager that she had already seen the gun so she would have to take it out of the store. When the lady walked off I approached the manager and asked if it is legal for the woman to OC in Wal-Mart. She explained that a concealed carry permit means the person has to CC and they have to have their permit with them, wrong on both accounts. She also said that the woman can't "carry it out in the open all wild west shoot em' up." I explained to her that it was Wal-Mart's corporate policy that they follow state law and she interupted me and said "yeah, and it's illegal in Utah. You can't do it." She was very upset a this point and was either in a very bad mood or she just has a major personality flaw. I politely told her she was wrong and that OC is legal in Utah and walked off.

I later called the Syracuse Wal-Mart, just down the street from the Clinton store, and asked the manager there if they allow OC in their store. The manager told me that they do not allow it and that anyone seen OCing would be asked to leave.

So, what do you think of the policies of these 2 stores? Is there anything I or we can do to get corporate involved to change it? What are you thoughts?

rpyne

imported post

If I lived up that way, I would request a meeting with the managers of the two store and the district manager. In that meeting I would present them with a copy of the sections of Utah Code that apply to firearms and ask them to show me both their company written policy and where in Utah law it says that concealment is required.

EDIT: When asking for the meeting, if asked why I want to meet, I would tell them that it is a civil rights issue.

LovesHisXD45

imported post

rpyne wrote:
LovesHisXD45 wrote:
Might want to take this into consideration as well. Looks like corporate is letting district managers make the call now, which I think is complete BS.

http://www.thehighroad.org/archive/index.php/t-300305.html

Kevin
Did you read the date on that (Sept 2007)? There are more recent statements that Walmart follows state law.
Doh! I was in a hurry right before leaving for work when I posted that and missed that little tid bit. :) Thanks Rpyne.

Kevin

goosemama

imported post

Well sports fans, if you haven't already guessed it, that was ME getting "kicked out" of the Clinton WalMart...AGAIN. Everything that Braveheart23C said is absolutely true. I was minding my own business, on the phone with Right2Carry (the hubby) trying to purchase Rooster Cogburn to add to our massive collection of DVD's when that so-called uninformed, "manager" came up to me and said I had to take my gun outside and leave it in my car. When I asked her why, she said that she'd had 2 customers, yes, count them, 2 customers complain that they were afraid of the gun. I told her I didn't see anyone pointing, screaming, and running out of the store.

She started to get very upset at that point, which I found to be very funny, since I kept asking questions along the line of "is this company policy or just your own opinion? You know, fun like, stick em in the ribs with a pointy stick type of fun. She was actually starting to get loud and I kept replying I'm not being confrontational, I'm just asking questions. This seemed to upset her even more. She kep telling me that it was the law and she could ask me to leave. I told her fine, I'll go, but could I pay for my purchases and then leave? She said, of course. I then told her so, it's ok for me to shop hereand I have the right to die doing it if some maniac comes in and starts shooting up the place, but as far as WalMart is concerned, I have no right to defend myself? I didn't wait for the response, I just turned my back on her and went up to the front of the store, paid for my purchases and left.

You also have to realize something, she never said I couldn't come back in the store with the gun, just that some people were "complaining about the gun" at that point in time. So, guess who's going back!!! Nah nah nah nah nah nah!! And if they approach me again with the so-called "customer complaining" piece of crap story, I'll just say fine, but I'm going to complain that all the people who AREN'T CARRYING A GUN arescaring meand they should ask them to leave also. After all, what's good for the idiot Manager at WalMart, is good for the GOOSEMAMA too!

Thank you Braveheart23C for standing up for our rights and let's allgo shopping while OCing. Who knows, we might end up on News at 10 (lol). In a good way, of course.

BowNArrow

imported post

I'm glad that you replied the way you did with only one exception. If it were me I would ask for the number to her district supervisor and that I would put all of my purchasing from wal-mart aside until she confirmed that policy with said supervisor. Did you happen to catch her name?

Sounds like we need to start shopping oc in Clinton Wal Mart's more often and defend the constitution of the State of Utah and the USA, and perform our civic duty of educating the masses.

Who wants to buy some DVD's with me? or I guess intend to buy....whatever management dictates.

goosemama

imported post

Unfortunately, she wouldn't give me her name and her badge, which showed some sort of "manager" type of insignia on it, wasn't completely visiable.

Bow, may I call you Bow? Bow, you have to realize that I've had this happen more than once in this WalMart store and if you ask for the store manager or the manager on duty, they'll simply state that it's their right to ask me to leave and really don't have to give a reason at all. To them, it doesn't matter if it's company policy or not.

UtahJarhead

imported post

Hi there, goosemama! Good to see ya...

IMO you need to print out and keep some of the MANY responses people have gotten from Wal-Mart corporate about following state law. I know you can carry in Wal-Mart. You know you can carry in Wal-Mart. Obviously Wal-Mart employees don't know you can carry in Wal-Mart.

The satisfaction I would get from holding that in front of them would be akin to eating a HUGE juicy ribeye with mashed taters.

BowNArrow

imported post

goosemama wrote:
Unfortunately, she wouldn't give me her name and her badge, which showed some sort of "manager" type of insignia on it, wasn't completely visiable.

Bow, may I call you Bow? Bow, you have to realize that I've had this happen more than once in this WalMart store and if you ask for the store manager or the manager on duty, they'll simply state that it's their right to ask me to leave and really don't have to give a reason at all. To them, it doesn't matter if it's company policy or not
Goosemama,

I appreciate your continued efforts to stand up for your rights. Hopefully, in the coming months and years we will be able to make people more comfortable with this movement. It will take time and a lot of patience and a lot of petitioning of upper management. But you did the right thing and I thank you for it. As more and more of us open carry, people will eventually grow less and less afraid of citizens defending the constitution and their personal rightsto self defense.

carracer

imported post

I think only a management can ask someone to leave and you have the right to ask them to identify themselves with proper credentials. Otherwise anyone, even non employees, could say they were an employee and ask you to leave.

Rottie

imported post

Goosemama, you go girl! Thanks for OC'ing. Kudos also to Braveheart23C for confronting and educating the errant or ingnorant possible manager. She might think twice about doing that again knowing that not all unarmed shoppers (thoughI knowBraveheart23C was armed just concealed) are offended or scared at the sight of a gun. I bet she was shocked that one of the apparently "unarmed" was not in support of her request that goosemama leave. I also like rpyne's suggestion about talking to the regional manager about the issue. I'd be happy to participate.

JoeSparky

Centurion
imported post

I just had a thought....

Have a group of 12 or more OC'ers at 5 min intervals enter the store one at a time and go shopping when this "Manager" is present. When confronted.... LEAVE THE CART WHERE IT IS WITH THE PURCHASES IN PLACE AND LEAVE .... Be sure to have your audio recorders operating for your defense!

rpyne

imported post

JoeSparky wrote:
I just had a thought....

Have a group of 12 or more OC'ers at 5 min intervals enter the store one at a time and go shopping when this "Manager" is present. When confronted.... LEAVE THE CART WHERE IT IS WITH THE PURCHASES IN PLACE AND LEAVE .... Be sure to have your audio recorders operating for your defense!
And make sure you have several hundred dollars of goods in your cart.

Braveheart23C

imported post

Goosemama, I just wish I would have been OCing as well that night, then they would have to asked 2 customers to leave at the same time. Have you ever contacted the manager of the Clinton Wal-Mart or the district manager?

Vegassteve

imported post

Why do you people give them money once they dont want you? Was it of the utmost urgency to have the DVD right then? If I am asked to leave some store I sure as hell dont thank them by giving them my money. I just dont get it.

NewZealandAmerican

Greater Salt Lake City Metro area far south suburb
imported post

rpyne wrote:
JoeSparky wrote:
I just had a thought....

And make sure you have several hundred dollars of goods in your cart.
Damn right! Civil disobedience at it's best. If it were me I would take up time to fill my cart to the brim with merchandise from every part of the store then times that by ten of us, hell yeah!:celebrate

NewZealandAmerican

Greater Salt Lake City Metro area far south suburb
imported post

Vegassteve wrote:
Why do you people give them money once they dont want you? Was it of the utmost urgency to have the DVD right then? If I am asked to leave some store I sure as hell dont thank them by giving them my money. I just dont get it.
You make a good point too. We should probably all ask ourselves are we each willing to pay the "LIBERTY Tax?" When we have to travel a little more further to buy the items we need when turned away by a business.