• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Asked to leave SeaTac Airport

jddssc121

imported post

deanf wrote:
Well I'm glad the Port has finally come to their senses.

Expect a big lobbying effort to change the preemption statute. All these municipal corporations who have been defanged by Chan will be very cross over this issue and will be out to change the law.

(I understand that Chan is not the final say on this, but at least one powerhouse muni-corp with skin in the game has decided to abide by it for now.)

Fortunately, we are past cut-off and it is too late to drop policy bills. Hopefully, next year we will see a more balanced legislative body.

jddssc121

imported post

Tomas wrote:
jddssc121, was that an email or was it hard copy? Who was it from? If hard copy, could you scan it (redacted if needed) and post it?

It looks like they have gotten the message pretty well, now we just hope they act fairly quickly.

It was a (very long) email thread i had with the Port Counsel (w/ the Poilce Chief CC'd) that finally cumulated in what I posted above. (the first email in the thread was dated Sept 2008)

jddssc121

imported post

PS - i've also asked for a copy of any training memo used to inform officers.

Aaron1124

Tomas

imported post

jddssc121 wrote:
updated rule has been posted

http://www.portseattle.org/downloads/seatac/rulereg4-13-10.pdf

"16. Firearms and Explosives:
a. No person may carry firearms on or about the Airport except as allowed by federal
and state law."
So far, state law appears to say it is legal outside the "secure" or "sterile" areas, and federal law agrees.

Also, the DHS/TSA specifically allows "carrying" firearms and ammunition (except black powder and such) in the non secure, non sterile areas in hard sided cases and luggage.

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/assistant/editorial_1666.shtm

It appears that the new Port of Seattle rule is very simple and puts the legal requirements back on state and federal law where it belongs.

Now if they can get the federal and local people properly trained... :?

sudden valley gunner

imported post

Tomas wrote:
jddssc121 wrote:
updated rule has been posted

http://www.portseattle.org/downloads/seatac/rulereg4-13-10.pdf

"16. Firearms and Explosives:
a. No person may carry firearms on or about the Airport except as allowed by federal
and state law."
So far, state law appears to say it is legal outside the "secure" or "sterile" areas, and federal law agrees.

Also, the DHS/TSA specifically allows "carrying" firearms and ammunition (except black powder and such) in the non secure, non sterile areas in hard sided cases and luggage.

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/assistant/editorial_1666.shtm

It appears that the new Port of Seattle rule is very simple and puts the legal requirements back on state and federal law where it belongs.

Now if they can get the federal and local people properly trained... :?
Sometime the only way to train 'em is by excercising your right, regaurdless of how they feel about it. They'll get used to it.