• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

John Pierce on WBUR Boston Today at Noon EST

Pagan

imported post

Decent interview, but Helmke afterwards stated a good point for future reference, and that was, when John was asked why he carried everyday, he never once mentioned for self defense, and that I believe is a tactical error.

Reaching the less legal and politically mindedpeople of our nation, needs to focus alot of our argument on self defense, since after allthat is why the 2nd amendment was created to begin with, self defense from tyranny, be it under the color of law or otherwise..IMO.

Good job over all though.

eye95

imported post

The thing that comes across when you guys interview is rationality. That is important, because there is a misperception among many that 2A advocates are gun nuts. It is important that we play up the fact that we are normal everyday people doing what should be a normal everyday activity: exercising our rights.

John Pierce

Administrator
Staff member
imported post

Thank you! :)

eye95 wrote:
The thing that comes across when you guys interview is rationality.  That is important, because there is a misperception among many that 2A advocates are gun nuts.  It is important that we play up the fact that we are normal everyday people doing what should be a normal everyday activity:  exercising our rights.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

eye95 wrote:
The thing that comes across when you guys interview is rationality. That is important, because there is a misperception among many that 2A advocates are gun nuts. It is important that we play up the fact that we are normal everyday people doing what should be a normal everyday activity: exercising our rights.
Right, and that's why I keep saying things re people who want to organize stuff in their state like "no more angry white guys," and to not use terms like "marches," "protests," "fighting," etc. when refering to open carry events or normal everyday open carry.

The English language has lots of words which can be descriptive of what you are doing and not sound like you are angry or on the defensive thus shwoing weakness - use terms like like meeting, rally, picnic, get together, etc.Deploy normal middle class images, like families, dogs, starbucks cups in hand, parks, etc. as part of your event communication.

There is no need to use martial terms or raise your voice - you are already open carrying, everybody knows where you stand and is listening - so be calm, rational, and acknowledge other points of view on the issues and explain why you politely disagree, etc.

Or like Chevy Chase once said, be the ball.

nobama

imported post

Here in NC I use the term "constitution celebration dinner" or 2nd A. dinner. Which is really what I OC for. If I didnt want to "celebrate I would CC.

Notso

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Good job John. I don't know why, but everytime I hear Helmke on one of these shows, I feel like I need to go take a shower.