• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

We can expect more Troll activity

bigdaddy1

imported post

With all the press OC has been getting I suspect we will have more trolls visiting, they must seem to think their delusional opinion somehow matters.

across Death's Door on Washington Island, Wisconsi
imported post

bigdaddy1 wrote:
With all the press OC has been getting I suspect we will have more trolls visiting, they must seem to think their delusional opinion somehow matters.
Their delusional opinions matter exactly as much as do ours.
Either we are equal or we are not. Present company excepted of course. Good people ought to be armed where they will, with wits and guns and the truth. NRA KMA$$ damn the Obamanation.
If you whine to the owner/mod they will quite likely delete some or all of my posts.

sudden valley gunner

imported post

Speaking of Trolls wheres HankT? His Brother Big Dave has been fairly active in Washington forum. ;)

Most trolls come and go hopefully with the influx of new people, that the good ones stay and the trolls move on.

bigdaddy1

imported post

Master Doug Huffman wrote:
bigdaddy1 wrote:
Their delusional opinions matter exactly as much as do ours.
Not on a open carry forum, if they choose to be victimes then there opinion is useless
Either we are equal or we are not. Present company excepted of course. Good people ought to be armed where they will, with wits and guns and the truth. NRA KMA$$ damn the Obamanation.
If you whine to the owner/mod they will quite likely delete some or all of my posts.
Comment witheld

AbNo

imported post

bigdaddy1 wrote:
I, for one, think their opinion matters. It matters because their opinions can and do influence my life, and yours as well.

Particularly when those opinions become law.

wrightme wrote:

Well said, Wright, but what DOES that have to do with the price of tea in China?

eye95

imported post

I find that many of the so-called trolls that post here not to be a problem. Even if they are being antagonistic or rude while presenting an opposing opinion or asking a question, we should respectfully and rationally answer their posts. (We are rational. They are emotional. And, that is the end of the story.)

It is so rare that they are not presenting an opposing idea or asking a question, that they are a way smaller problem than the way a tiny handful of posters here sometimes drive-by.

Really, the trolling here is no big deal. This is the least trolled site on which I have ever posted.

On edit: Case in point.

eye95

imported post

The willingness to answer rationally is neither tolerance nor broad-mindedness. It is a considered reaction, one which will not likely (but may) change the mind of the so-called troll, but will likely have an impact on the mind set of others who read the answer.

Furthermore, such a rational response to an antagonistic and emotional post establishes the rational responder as the better person, the one in whom to vest more credibility.

Ultimately, it helps our cause more than cheap-shot, drive-by responses.

Moving on.

M

McX

imported post

well, anyway, i think we should all invest in trolling motors, so we can putter away from them silently, as to not scare the fish. :D i've noticed, that incident type threads seem to attrack them. so i extrapolate that if you don't move, they can't see you. :D

cscitney87

imported post

Beware of the

"I Got Arrested For Open Carry In ______"

I got arrested for OC in ______

When new members join real quick and post WITHOUT EVIDENCE (case number/police report) you have to be cautious and take the story with a huge grain of the salt.

Anti-Gunners may try to Scare us away from OCing in certain areas or towns due to reported arrests.

I would say; take 4 extra minutes out of your busy day to provide that hard evidence for us when proclaiming an unusual arrest/circumstance. Papers please!

Mr.FiredUp

imported post

Agreed on several points...

1) If you're posting a "situation" that happened to you, be detailed. If you got arrested for something, there should be a report of it somewhere (police, news article, etc.). A lot of us talk about personal experiences we have had, but if it's something big, there will be written (or typed) proof of it. On the topic we deal with, it's hard for anything to happen "in a big way" and not have a news van show up or a police report written as fast as possible.

2) If we answer in a polite and respectful way with facts and logical arguments, who cares if they're a troll? Once they realize that they're not getting a rise out of us, they will leave and not come back (until they find another story they think will work us up). But, there may be someone sitting on the fence just browsing through the topics trying to inform themselves a little about the people and logic behind the open carry movement. I know I (even though I already had my beliefs solidified) looked around the site for about an hour before deciding to "join the ranks" with you guys. By just reading our intelligent conversations, there might be someone that moves to our side and helps our cause.

3) We are rational, they are emotional. The more rational we are, the more emotional they will become. If we keep this up unceasingly, we will eventually get the better press as there will be no other way to portray it. Which post do you think the liberal media would stick on the face of open carry after someone asks a "What if/Troll type question". The one that says "I appreciate your interest in open carry. Here is some information...", or the one that says,
"TROLL! LEAVE YOU WORTHLESS PIECE OF CRAP!!!". If you're honest with yourself, you know they'll use the second one. Let's give the people who are trying to destroy us less ammo to use against us.

If you don't want to talk to the trolls, don't. Leave that to calm, level headed people. Until he/she is rude and emotional, we should treat them as rational. Once they appear to leave logic at the door, we should tell them that we feel they aren't being rational and move on. No reason to keep bumping the post and feeding the fire.

wrightme

imported post

AbNo wrote:
bigdaddy1 wrote:
I, for one, think their opinion matters. It matters because their opinions can and do influence my life, and yours as well.

Particularly when those opinions become law.

wrightme wrote:

Well said, Wright, but what DOES that have to do with the price of tea in China?
I had responded to a troll, then realized that with my response, I haddropped down to his level; so chose to high-road it instead.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

Post count goes up one ("color of rhetoric") for zero content (of character).

Post counts are important to some, unimportant to others, Doug.

Some who think it importantcreate multiple accounts to handle the volume of their posts. Your accounts are fast approaching the much sought after 9000 posts level.

No one on OCDO has ever done that many. Not LEO 229. Not even GS.

You are and will be OCDO's most prolific (# 1 ) poster for a long long time.And I don't see your deleted posts changing that. Or keeping you from the 9000....10000...11000...