• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC at the Tea Party rally tomorrow in Madison

iMav

imported post

Just wondering if anyone is planning on OC at the tea party rally tomorrow. I'm from Columbus, WI, so I don't know if the area that will hold the rally is kosher from a school zoning stand point (or if there is any other issue with open carrying at the rally).

Anyone here planning on attending?

bnhcomputing

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I would love to join you, but I don’t think I can get away.

As for school zones, they are holding this on the Capitol grounds. There are no school zone issues at the capitol itself, but the getting there and back could be an issue. They are providing shuttle service, so I assume that means nearby parking will be difficult.

bnhcomputing

Founder's Club Member
imported post

The rally is scheduled to begin at 11:30 a.m. on the King Street side of the Capitol.

Speakers at the rally include local radio talk show host Vicki McKenna, Tim Dake of Wisconsin Grandsons of Liberty, Kim Simac of Northwoods Patriots and Michael Dean of the First Freedoms Foundation.

here is the facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/event.php?eid=113076695381301&ref=mf

DRG

imported post

bnhcomputing wrote:
As for school zones, they are holding this on the Capitol grounds. There are no school zone issues at the capitol itself, but the getting there and back could be an issue. They are providing shuttle service, so I assume that means nearby parking will be difficult.
Parking within 3 miles of the Capitol on a "normal" day is very hard. Finding parking on a day with a special event there is impossible.

The Capitol is basically on a narrow strip of land between two lakes. On one side of it is the UW campus and student housing, the other side is a ton of student housing. Any street parking is already full just from the students. Any parking structures will fill up early from the people who work downtown. Any special events overwhelm what few spots are left quickly and early.

Your best bet will be parking a few miles away, and getting in on this shuttle service or getting a cab/bus. Neither of which are OC friendly.

If you plan on OCing, be ready to walk a LONG way to get there.

Shell

imported post

I'm planning on going and passing out Libertarian Party flyers :) E Main and S Pinckney is the location that I have. I will probably just have my hubby drop us off and pick us up again and wonder if I should OC in that case... OC is still ok even though it's right in front of the capitol building within X amount of yards? I'd like to OC there if I legally could...

bnhcomputing

Founder's Club Member
imported post

OC should be legal right up to the door. No minimum distance you have to "stay away" that I'm aware of.

Shotgun

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
imported post

Shell wrote:
I'm planning on going and passing out Libertarian Party flyers :) E Main and S Pinckney is the location that I have. I will probably just have my hubby drop us off and pick us up again and wonder if I should OC in that case... OC is still ok even though it's right in front of the capitol building within X amount of yards? I'd like to OC there if I legally could...
Don't let anyone tell you it's not legal. We were all over the grounds last month, on every side of the building. Just don't try to enter the building with a firearm.

Shell

imported post

Good to know. I'm really excited for tomorrow and glad to share the experience with my kids :)

Shell

imported post

I didn't end up OCing at the rally today, because I had too many other things to deal with this morning already, but I am really glad that I didn't b/c my kids had to use the wash room in the capitol building!

I did get a chance to talk with some people about OCing, though, and may have another woman interested in it :)