• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

What Do You Think About This Idea?

rcawdor57

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I live in the White Caps community in Kenosha. Every year the entire community (hundreds of houses) has a garage sale. Usually it is the first Saturday in May which means either it is the 1st or perhaps the 8th? (Not sure yet). I would like everyone's thoughts and suggestions on what you think about setting up a table for open carry and having brochures available. This takes place on my own driveway or partly inside my garage so it will be on private property. I have two hundred of those fantastic brochures from Brokensprocket I intend to put on my table as well as making large signs for Wisconsin Carry (of course with Nik's permission). I spoke with my wife about this last night and she thinks it is a great idea.

I also intend to open carry during the garage sale and be a spokesman for open carry. What I don't want to do is put a negative spin on the open carry right/cause which is why I am posting. Any thoughts or ideas from everyone are welcome, good or bad. Keep in mind that there will be literally thousands of people in my community that do NOT live here from all over the state as well as from Illinois during the garage sale. This is a big event that gets a lot of publicity every year.

:cool:

AaronS

imported post

I think that's a great idea. I would bet, if a lot of people see the info, a lot will take a copy to read. A lot of the older folk in my area have and use computers, but a lot do not. I bet you get a few that have no access to a computer, and would be interested in the info. Good idea to talk to Nik about the Wis. carry stuff, I am sure he will like it though.

So, you selling any good stuff?

rcawdor57

Campaign Veteran
imported post

AaronS wrote:
I think that's a great idea. I would bet, if a lot of people see the info, a lot will take a copy to read. A lot of the older folk in my area have and use computers, but a lot do not. I bet you get a few that have no access to a computer, and would be interested in the info. Good idea to talk to Nik about the Wis. carry stuff, I am sure he will like it though.

So, you selling any good stuff?

LOL. I have no idea what to sell this year. I have been out of town the last two years this has happened so I am looking forward to it. I may put my Schwinn exercise bike up for sale. It sits in the basement doing nothing. :(

My daughter is an artist and will make the larger Wisconsin Carry sign on poster board. This should turn out great!:lol:

Spartacus

Banned
imported post

Personally I think its a great idea RC. You will get a huge amount of exposure in front of people who know you, and not just from some strangers passing by OCing. I find that my most powerful witness is among my own people here where I work and live.

Wisconsin Carry Inc. - Chairman

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
imported post

I think its a great idea, I'll share it with the board.

As for signs, no need to re-invent the wheel, we have banners that we may be able to get to you to use that day. I think a table with our banner hung from the front and some pamphlets and flyers, nothing over-stated or too "in your face" but yet definitely noticeable to the passer's by.

I think this presents a fantastic opportunity to demonstrate ordinary every-day open-carry in practice. Even the anti-gun people who will turn up their nose and think "oh, thats ridiculous" will in hindsight look back and realize that "nothing happened" and will be (even though they probably won't admit it) more at ease with law-abiding citizens armed.

And then of course for those inclined to exercise their rights and have the added security to protect themselvse and their family, they will have the chance to observe as you carry going about your normal activities on that day and approach you with questions. You'll have the chance to share with people why you choose to carry. Why you have chosen to support Wisconsin Carry. Great opportunity.

Lets talk...

nik@wisconsincarry.org

rcawdor57

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Thanks for the input everyone. Thanks Nik, the banners are a great idea. I had forgotten about those. Hopefully I will have my oldest daughter here to open carry and if I can get my wife to finally do so that would make three of us. I am looking forward to it and I hope this year it is a sunny day.

I think this will be a great experience and this will give me the opportunity to educate literally hundreds of people on the right to open carry.

Old Grump

imported post

Sounds like a great idea. I will set up a little card table strictly for my pamphlets from here and from JPFO. It will give me an excuse to wear my T-shirt when I have my sale.