• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Portland Press Herald - Open carry event scheduled for Sunday, April 25, at Portland's Back Cove

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

http://www.pressherald.com/news/event-aims-to-show-its-cool-to-pack-heat_2010-04-14.html

SNIP

Portland gun event aims to show
it's legal to pack heat

The organizer says at least 20 gun owners are expected to gather at Back Cove on April 25 to support the open-carry movement.
By Dennis Hoey
Staff Writer

PORTLAND — A local college student and gun owner is planning an event aimed at showing there is no harm in doing what state law says is perfectly legal -- wearing a holstered firearm in public.

. . .

Shane Belanger, a University of Southern Maine freshman who grew up in Caribou, is organizing the "open-carry" event for Sunday, April 25, at Portland's Back Cove.

At least 20 gun owners are expected to show up with their holstered weapons, Belanger said.

"I'm assuming most of the people will be carrying loaded weapons, but it's not a requirement," he said.

Hendu024

imported post

I'm not surprised with the amount of anti-gun, liberal, off the wall comments. It is Portland after all. As usual, the cries of the anti's have no facts to back them up and are purely emotional. I wish I could be there to attend the event. Good luck!

shanebelanger

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

Thank you! Any support would be wonderful! The city is beginning to try and throw their weight around to not allow us to have this. They want to charge us 40/hr for the first hour and 35/hr for every hour after that if we have more than 25 people. They also want to charge us 80 dollars to get a permit to have food on site. So we are going to cap one picnic at 20 people, and have another right next to it. We will also have people bring their own food, if they choose to share that is their right. Welcome to America.

shanebelanger

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

http://www.necn.com/04/14/10/Maine-college-student-plans-gun-rally-/landing.html?blockID=216277&feedID=4559 They misquoted me at the end where they said: Belanger: "If you see people open carrying you're likely to be deterred because you don't want to get shot".

What I actually said was: "Criminals don't want to go to a place or event where people are carrying firearms because they simply don't want to get shot."

Correction: that quote was taken horribly out of context and made me look like I was saying that everyone would be deterred to not go into a place where people are open carrying... wow. well, you live you learn I guess? Many more interviews to come! I don't think i've done toooo badly so far? But i'm getting better! Wish me luck!

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

shanebelanger wrote:
http://www.necn.com/04/14/10/Maine-college-student-plans-gun-rally-/landing.html?blockID=216277&feedID=4559 They misquoted me at the end where they said: Belanger: "If you see people open carrying you're likely to be deterred because you don't want to get shot".

What I actually said was: "Criminals don't want to go to a place or event where people are carrying firearms because they simply don't want to get shot."

best to use very short answers and don't use words like "shot," etc.

e.g., open carry provides a deterrence effect that concealed carry does not.

shanebelanger

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

Mike wrote:
shanebelanger wrote:

best to use very short answers and don't use words like "shot," etc.

e.g., open carry provides a deterrence effect that concealed carry does not.
Yeah, first interview... but it went all right I think? I'll definitely do better next time!

Hendu024

imported post

shanebelanger wrote:
Thank you! Any support would be wonderful! The city is beginning to try and throw their weight around to not allow us to have this. They want to charge us 40/hr for the first hour and 35/hr for every hour after that if we have more than 25 people. They also want to charge us 80 dollars to get a permit to have food on site. So we are going to cap one picnic at 20 people, and have another right next to it. We will also have people bring their own food, if they choose to share that is their right. Welcome to America.
That is part of the reason why I had mentioned in another thread just getting a few people together and just walking around town super low key. Kind of a start small work big thing, you know? Hopefully you can get around the city b.s. and make it happen. Either way it will definitely be a learning experience. I'll be back home in the summer for a vacation, and as usual, I'll be bringing my Glock along. Maybe we'll do another meet up then.

shanebelanger

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

Yeah, I was intending to simply have it be extremely small than I got some opposition from the PPD so I called the press... perhaps it was a good idea, perhaps it wasn't. We will see.