• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Mike Cox Speaking at the 2A March in Lansing!!

autosurgeon

imported post

Thanks for posting this Mike.. I saw you taking video yesterday and hoped you got Mikes speech as it was pretty good!

My voice recorder got all the speeches and they are clean and clear so I am going to cut out the section and will send it to you to post on the you tube if you want it.

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

bilde

Is that a Coon dog? MOC on the Lansing State Journal site.

CoonDog

imported post

Yes, in 9mm. When I picked it up in the store, it fit my hand so well that I fell in love. It points great for me, but shoots better than my skills allow. Any deficiencies at the range are pure operator error. :p

fozzy71

imported post

CoonDog wrote:
Yes, in 9mm.  When I picked it up in the store, it fit my hand so well that I fell in love.  It points great for me, but shoots better than my skills allow.  Any deficiencies at the range are pure operator error. :p

How do you like the safariland holster? I am just about ready to order one from opticsplanet.com but I can't decide if I want the mid-ride 6280 or the 1.5" belt drop 6285. :uhoh:

fozzy71

imported post

I have one for a springfield that I modified for my FNP-9 but I would like to buy a good level 2 or better holster that is actually designed for my gun. I had to fill the bottom of the trigger guard with jb weld to take up all the slop. :(

Safarilands tactical thigh holster and molle quick connect system is way nicer than blackhawks also. You can even mount the molle receiver plates on the underside of your dashboard, or on the side of the dresser by your bed, for quicker draws when in those places you cant keep the holster on your side easily.

CoonDog

imported post

I have both the 6287 (pictured) and the 6280. For my taste, the 6280 rides too low, so it rarely leaves the drawer.

Overall, I'm please with the 6287. It fits the gun well and has a retention screw to adjust the tension. It's suede lined to protect the slide. I have the optional "Sentry" attachment to increase the retention, but not the hood. The Sentry works well and I have confidence in it. I felt the hood would stick out too much when concealed, so I haven't tried it. Compared to a Serpa that I borrowed, I found the Serpa to fit slightly more snug to my side with the pistol holstered. This had to do with the angle the barrel pointed when holstered. To achieve the same result with the 6287, I'd guess I'd need to snug my belt loop another half-step tighter. It was a minor difference, but something I noticed.

I have one minor complaint. The thumb release protrudes inward toward the body in such a way as to cause it to rub into my side when seated. This is noticeable with the holster at or just in front of 3 o'clock, but (mostly) alleviated when situated just behind 3 o'clock. This one grievance has inspired me at times to consider a new holster, but the other fine attributes have yet kept me from a trip to the store for a replacement.

So, aside from the one grievance, I don't have any complaints. I'm not familiar with the 6285, but the 6280 has a molded belt loop that doesn't share this deficiency with the flexible "butterfly" loops on the 6287. Also, note that the ride of the 6280 results in a slight cant away from the body whereas the 6287 is designed to hug the body.

If you come out for the Westland picnic, I'd be happy to show them to you.

fozzy71

imported post

Thx for the details. I am looking for a hi-quality, OC, retention holster. I am just now taking my CPL class this Sunday, so I probably have 3 months before I can CC.

The 6285 has a 1.5" belt drop so it will hang below a jacket waistband, etc. The 6287 was actually the first safariland holster I picked out. Thanks for the details.

The just sent me an email to tell me the 6280 and mag pouch I ordered are out of stock, so I canceled the order for now. Looks like I will probably just order the 6287 once they confirm my other order is canceled.

mikestilly

imported post

I find it funny because of the lack of moderation on here how a thread I posted relating to Mike Cox turns in to a discussion about holsters. Is it possible to stay on topic? If you want to discuss holsters why not open your own thread rather then hijack this one. Can we please stay on topic?

autosurgeon

imported post

mikestilly wrote:
I find it funny because of the lack of moderation on here how a thread I posted relating to Mike Cox turns in to a discussion about holsters. Is it possible to stay on topic? If you want to discuss holsters why not open your own thread rather then hijack this one. Can we please stay on topic?
It's called conversational progression. It happens in verbal conversation so why not on message boards?

Not saying it isn't against policy just observing why it happens.

mikestilly

imported post

autosurgeon wrote:
mikestilly wrote:
It's called conversational progression. It happens in verbal conversation so why not on message boards?

Not saying it isn't against policy just observing why it happens.

lol that's not the way forums work. There are posts that are on topic an there are posts are OT. Most forums do not allow users to have OT conversations in the middle of threads. It degrades the point of the posting the thread TOPIC in the first place and turns away people from reading 20 personal conversations in the middle of a subject some users wanted to discuss.

I'm aware though that this forum is chaos and rarely moderated so feel free to carry on talking about Coon Dog, holsters, Rugers, and many other random topics in the middle of a thread that has nothing to do with those things and most didnt view the thread to read..

fozzy71

imported post

Only the first reply was even remotely on topic. If it weren't for the OT discussion this thread would probably be on page 2.
rolleyes.gif

I think this forum needs a Low-Content/Off-Topic thread (ideally stickied) for general chit-chat. The forums I regularly visit do this, and it cuts down on forum clutter as well as thread derailing. It gives the forum regulars somewhere to talk about random stuff without creating a new thread. Think of it as a Teamspeak thread, so that you dont have to be online at the time of the discussion to still participate.

CoonDog

imported post

Mike, if you wish to discuss which topics are appropriate, perhaps we should discuss whether political campaigning for the local hopeful fits in with the focus of OCDO. I seem to recall something in the forum rules along the lines of the following, "This web site is focused on the right to openly carry properly holstered handguns in daily American life..." and something else about, "Do not start OFF TOPIC threads or discussions...". Upon further review, it appears that my and Fozzy's discussion pertains directly to the forum's focus, whereas I fail to see how pandering your your favorite politician falls into that category. You may have a private agreement with the forum owners to allow you to use their website as your own personal soapbox and, if so, I apologize for intruding on your official business.

In the future, I'd prefer to be addressed directly via PM if you have a problem with my post(s). I think you'll find this a more efficient and collaborative way to reach resolution. This public bickering is rather ugly and unnecessary.

mikestilly

imported post

CoonDog wrote:
Mike, if you wish to discuss which topics are appropriate, perhaps we should discuss whether political campaigning for the local hopeful fits in with the focus of OCDO.  I seem to recall something in the forum rules along the lines of the following, "This web site is focused on the right to openly carry properly holstered handguns in daily American life..." and something else about, "Do not start OFF TOPIC threads or discussions...".  Upon further review, it appears that my and Fozzy's discussion pertains directly to the forum's focus, whereas I fail to see how pandering your your favorite politician falls into that category.  You may have a private agreement with the forum owners to allow you to use their website as your own personal soapbox and, if so, I apologize for intruding on your official business.

In the future, I'd prefer to be addressed directly via PM if you have a problem with my post(s).  I think you'll find this a more efficient and collaborative way to reach resolution.  This public bickering is rather ugly and unnecessary.

MR Coon I feel you're quite confused. First off please show me where I directed any comments to you? You won't be able to show me because there is none. Second off this post was about the Second Amendment March and Mike Cox who spoke at the march. It is quite within the rules to post on such a subject and if you dont like it you're free to go post somewhere else. I'd also like you to show me where I got on a "political soapbox". Who are you to deem my post worthy of posting on here? If my post was against the rules it would have been deleted or locked. I suggest you apply for a moderator position.

In the future I suggest you not take a general statement so personally. Furthermore I find your comments quite rude an obnoxious. If you have a problem with me PM me like you said and keep it off the forums.

G

imported post

Let's get this back on topic.

This is a thread about the Mike Cox for Governor campaign speech!!!