• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

GFSZ Reminder

bnhcomputing

Founder's Club Member
imported post

When in doubt, ASK on here, we will help you figure it out.

Having said that, and to error on the side of safety:

Use Google maps to locate the schools.

Using Google earth, you should be able to determine the "block" of school property. Now I personally go to the center of the road surrounding the school if there is one, otherwise the edge of the mowed/fenced area, erroring on the side of caution.

Measure 1000ft from these points using the google earth tools. This is an AS THE CROW FLIES measurement, not an as I/you would have to walk or drive it.

and again, When in doubt, ASK on here, we will help you figure it out.

If you have calculated in error, and are now aware that you have been in a school zone, please do not post that information on here as this forum is monitored by LEO.

Spartacus

Banned
imported post

I know several have been detained for disturbing the peace or some such nonsense while OCing, but has anyone at anytime been charged with and/or tried for OCing in a GFSZ?

Just curious.

Captain Nemo

imported post

Must be careful with all this GFSZ map talk. Leo monitors this web site as well as a number of D.A. offices. DA's can subpoena the posts and membership roles of this forum. They can trace our screen names to our legal names quite easily. I suspect any member would have a difficult time proving they unknowingly entered a school zone when so much information exists on theforum. Information suchas to how to determine the school zones, in any community, using tools such as Google or Maps.live. Just a word of caution from someone whom has been adrift in the sea of confusion much too long.

Shotgun

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
imported post

Captain Nemo wrote:
Must be careful with all this GFSZ map talk. Leo monitors this web site as well as a number of D.A. offices. DA's can subpoena the posts and membership roles of this forum. They can trace our screen names to our legal names quite easily. I suspect any member would have a difficult time proving they unknowingly entered a school zone when so much information exists on theforum. Information suchas to how to determine the school zones, in any community, using tools such as Google or Maps.live. Just a word of caution from someone whom has been adrift in the sea of confusion much too long.
Well I think they would have to show that a particular individual knew the whereabouts of a particular school zone. One cannot conclude such a thing from the mere fact that tools such as google earth are available to the general public and the fact that people discuss school zones in this forum.

Secondly, a member does not have to "prove they unknowingly entered a school zone." The burden of proof lies with the prosecution to show that an individual knew or had reason to know they were in a school zone. I don't believe it would be very easy to prove that any individual memorized a map, let alone a whole series of maps, or that they actually read or remembered what they read on here.... "beyond a reasonable doubt" is fairly high standard.

I've lived in the same house for 15 years and had kids in school, so it wouldn't be too unreasonable to assume that I know the locations of schools in the general vicinity of my house. But I certainly could not tell you the location of every school in Madison without researching it. The greater the distance from my home, in Madison or in another municipality, the less probability that I have a clue where schools are located. I think the only thing on here that would likely get somebody in trouble would be if they wrote that they don't care about GFSZ's or care if they intentionally violate them.

The discussions here indicate that no participant in this forum, even if they disagree with the law, would want or intend to violate this stupid law. We take reasonable precautions to avoid violating the law. If anything, what is put on this forum shows that if one of us is found inside a GFSZ with firearm that is not unloaded and encased it is more likely by accident that we are there.

__

Banned
imported post

Yes, the particular individual forum participant cited in the particular school zone. The awareness and concern for their whereabouts is well established here.

M

McX

imported post

Mr. County Prosecutor; i would file this complaint with you. I am hemmed in by school zones. They restrict my freedom of movement, and do not allow me to adequately provide for my defense. My adherence to the law compromises my ability to defend myself, and exercise my rights. But i comply.