• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

CCW or Open Carry?

Hamburger

imported post

I'm pretty new to NV and even newer to gun laws here. This is what I've been told. Nevada is and "open carry" state so I can carry a pistol exposed, in a holster on my belt. I can not have it covered or even partially covered by a shirt, jackets and what not.

I just received my CCW permit. In the CCW class, we were taught that the pistol being exposed accidentally or purposelycan lead to trouble if wittnessed by 2 or more people.

Does a CCW take away "open carry" privledges? Can someone explain to me how these laws work around here please? :cry:

VegasGlocKid

imported post

what alot of us do is get ccw so if it pops out and someone says something just tell the officer your open carrying....if he says your concealed. than show him your ccw.

i would refer to this site before i believed a ccw instructor

Hamburger

imported post

So even with a CCW, I can carry my hand gun exposed as long as I don't wave it around like a mad man?

And what about partial conceal? I carry it tucked into my pants, but the handle sticks out. Does the permit or NV being an open carry state protect me?

Vegassteve

imported post

Hamburger wrote:
I'm pretty new to NV and even newer to gun laws here. This is what I've been told. Nevada is and "open carry" state so I can carry a pistol exposed, in a holster on my belt. I can not have it covered or even partially covered by a shirt, jackets and what not.

I just received my CCW permit. In the CCW class, we were taught that the pistol being exposed accidentally or purposelycan lead to trouble if wittnessed by 2 or more people.

Does a CCW take away "open carry" privledges? Can someone explain to me how these laws work around here please? :cry:

Tell us please what CCW instructor this was? If you want just send me a PM. Because these lies being told must stop. Since you now have a CCW you can open carry or CC anytime.

I would love to ask this "teacher" what NRS they think applies to this 2 people crap.

Please for the sake of others give the name.

Vegassteve

imported post

Hamburger wrote:
So even with a CCW, I can carry my hand gun exposed as long as I don't wave it around like a mad man?

And what about partial conceal? I carry it tucked into my pants, but the handle sticks out. Does the permit or NV being an open carry state protect me?
Yes. I do it everyday. And it matters not if the grip is all exposed or not. Carry as youo wish now that you have a CCW.

doninvegas

imported post

If you are CC and you have a valid CCW permit, and your shirt come up it is no problem as this is an OC state.....It happens to me a lot when i ride my Harley.....Just cover it back up or let it hang out.....
I have carried both in AZ and NV with no problems at all...:celebrate

also as vegasteve said post there name so we can address this misinformation...it is getting tiring.....:banghead:

omegadeity

imported post

In Nevada, you can Open Carry because there's no law preventing you from doing so. You can not carry concealed without a permit because it's a felony.

Acquiring a CCW does not make it illegal to Open Carry, it just makes it legal to Carry Concealed. Many of us have a CCW as a "just-in-case" should you be OC'ing and your pistol gets covered accidentally.

If you're carrying it concealed and it becomes exposed it defaults to an Open Carry situation and if you're Open Carrying and it becomes partially covered, then it becomes concealed. In both circumstances, you're covered and within your rights by having a CCW. The only situation you'd be in trouble in is if you're OC'ing and it becomes concealed and you lack the CCW permit.

Many CCW instructors don't like OC b/c they're former LEO's and don't like an armed populous and so they try to make you believe it's illegal to OC(some people/places will flat out LIE :banghead:). The myth that if you're carrying concealed and someone sees it you're going to get in trouble is just that, a myth.

Carrying a weapon(in your hands) is brandishing a firearm, and you can get into trouble for that. Your firearm should never leave its holster unless you feel you'll need to use it. That's just common sense. You don't show it to people who ask for it, and you don't "play" with it.

The purpose of the OC movement is to counteract the indoctrination that the Brady campaign and others are attempting against guns. They try to perpetrate guns as evil, and gun owners as unstable nuts. The only time the media seems to want to talk about guns is when there's a shooting, you can do the math. We OC so that citizens see that normal citizens carrying weapons is NOT a bad thing. We do it in hopes that when they hear this crap on TV about guns being evil, unsafe, and dangerous they'll know it's just biased fear mongering, nothing more.

Hamburger

imported post

I don't want to blast any businesses out here, but it was at a local gun store thatis around the spring mountain and arville area. The instructor looks like Creed from The Office.

Vegassteve

imported post

Hamburger wrote:
I don't want to blast any businesses out here, but it was at a local gun store thatis around the spring mountain and arville area. The instructor looks like Creek from The Office.

Then I will call them out American Shooters. Mostly a nice staff, but overpriced and have alot of LEO buyers. They are known at that place to not like OC.

:banghead:That does not excuse the lies.

New Frontier Armory

imported post

All BS. You can carry however you want if you get your permit. You're covered on all ends.

That line about "getting in trouble" for showing is total BS

Steamlocofan

imported post

omegadeity wrote:
If you're carrying it concealed and it becomes exposed it defaults to an Open Carry situation and if you're Open Carrying and it becomes partially covered, then it becomes concealed. In both circumstances, you're covered and within your rights by having a CCW. The only situation you'd be in trouble in is if you're OC'ing and it becomes concealed and you lack the CCW permit.

With OC, you can carry hand guns that are not qualified on you Nevada CCW but if you cover up an OC firearm and the claim it to be CCW, that fireare would need to be qualified on the CCW?

Sabotage70

imported post

Steamlocofan wrote:
omegadeity wrote:

With OC, you can carry hand guns that are not qualified on you Nevada CCW but if you cover up an OC firearm and the claim it to be CCW, that fireare would need to be qualified on the CCW?
Yes. It's BS but still yes. I have all my pistols on my ccw, even my S&W 22a-1. I'm not sure if they make a holster for it. But I still have it on there.

varminter22

imported post

omegadeity wrote:
Carrying a weapon(in your hands) is brandishing a firearm, and you can get into trouble for that. Your firearm should never leave its holster unless you feel you'll need to use it. That's just common sense. You don't show it to people who ask for it, and you don't "play" with it.

A small technical correction. Merely carrying a firearm in your hands is NOT brandishing.

From the dictionary (www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/brandish):
to shake or wave (as a weapon) menacingly2[/b] :[/b] to exhibit in an ostentatious or aggressive manner[/b]
One would have to display the firearm in a threatening manner.

Nevada carrier

imported post

LEO: I detained the deffendant because I believed his firearms was illegaly concealed.

Lawyer: What made you believe his firearm was illegaly concealed?

LEO: The t shirt he was wearing created a fold that partially obstructed the firearm from view?

Lawyer, and you could tell that his firearm was obstructed from what distance?

LEO: 25 feet

Lawyer: if his firearm was obstructed, how on earth could you clearly identify it was a firearm from such a distance?

LEO: o_O

Lawyer: Your Honor, I move that the charges be dismissed on the grounds that the officer just testified that his firearm was clearly visible.

maldog

imported post

Hamburger wrote:

I told you Hamburger they tell you all lies at these CCW classes...........Now you have a bundle of info at your finger tips!!!

timf343

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Sounds like the instructor was trying to convey this law, and as Varminter pointed out, this only applies when done in a "rude, angry or threatening manner":

NRS 202.320
Drawing deadly weapon in threatening manner.

1. Unless a greater penalty is provided in NRS 202.287, a person having, carrying or procuring from another person any dirk, dirk-knife, sword, sword cane, pistol, gun or other deadly weapon, who, in the presence of two or more persons, draws or exhibits any of such deadly weapons in a rude, angry or threatening manner not in necessary self-defense, or who in any manner unlawfully uses that weapon in any fight or quarrel, is guilty of a misdemeanor.

2. A sheriff, deputy sheriff, marshal, constable or other peace officer shall not be held to answer, under the provisions of subsection 1, for drawing or exhibiting any of the weapons mentioned therein while in the lawful discharge of his or her duties.

Hamburger

imported post

Thank you all for your responces. I am very clear on where CCW and open carry stands.

wrightme

imported post

Hamburger wrote:

NO.

If you had a CCW instructor tell you that, he was completely incorrect; and OC is not a "privilege."

Yard Sale

imported post

Nevada carrier wrote:
LEO: I detained the deffendant because I believed his firearms was illegaly concealed.

Lawyer: What made you believe his firearm was illegaly concealed?

LEO: The t shirt he was wearing created a fold that partially obstructed the firearm from view?

Lawyer, and you could tell that his firearm was obstructed from what distance?

LEO: 25 feet

Lawyer: if his firearm was obstructed, how on earth could you clearly identify it was a firearm from such a distance?

LEO: o_O

Lawyer: Your Honor, I move that the charges be dismissed on the grounds that the officer just testified that his firearm was clearly visible.
Laugh all you want but San Francisco police arrested a guy for concealed carry when they spotted his OC handgun in his vehicle. DA prosecuted (!) and a jury recently found him not guilty. Look it up.