• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Point ~ Shoot Practice

Sonora Rebel

imported post

OK... so I just repaired my 30 yr old Crossman 1200 BB pistol. I dunno the fps of the thing but it's fast enough. At any rate, I'm an advocate of 'point-shooting. None of this two hand Weaver stance stuff... just 'point' (one handed) and pull the bang switch. Very quiet... Semi-auto repeater (17 shot I think) that you can practice with from any position... in any attitude from any azimuth. Standing sitting or moving in the expected close combat/self defense range 'n a bit more (50'). As recoil happens (felt) 'bout the time the bullet leaves the barrel... it's all about point of aim when ya pull anyway. I'm gettin' 6"groups w/o aiming. Point, click... Thwack! Good reality practice.

fighting_for_freedom

imported post

I have personally found that with different handguns it takes a different approach. I can't hit squat with any of my .45 revolvers if I try to aim. But I can shoot a dime out of the air when I just point and pull the bang switch (to steal your term. I love it.)

However I have a lot more luck with my .22 Mark II and my .32 Astra when I actually aim.

I think it really depends on both your gun, and your finger-eye coordination. I mean, if you have to look down your finger when you're pointing at something, then point-shooting probably isn't for you.

TOF

imported post

Alamo Jack wrote:
I have personally found that with different handguns it takes a different approach. I can't hit squat with any of my .45 revolvers if I try to aim. But I can shoot a dime out of the air when I just point and pull the bang switch (to steal your term. I love it.)

However I have a lot more luck with my .22 Mark II and my .32 Astra when I actually aim.

I think it really depends on both your gun, and your finger-eye coordination. I mean, if you have to look down your finger when you're pointing at something, then point-shooting probably isn't for you.
Where is it that you "safely" shoot in the air with pistols?

Sonora Rebel

imported post

Alamo Jack wrote:
I can't hit squat with any of my .45 revolvers if I try to aim.
None of the early Colt pistols were designed to 'aim'. They had rudimentary sights at best. Even the 1911 .45acp in pure form retains crude sights. These are 'pointers'. I learned to shoot pre-Jeff Cooper doctrine. One handed, 'n no squatting in the Weaver stance. While not knocking Cooper, I do believe the 'range' habits 'n methodologyto be detrimental to instinctive combat shooting.

Now I'm gonna make some of you laugh... but I 'unlearned' Cooper while playin'Unlimited paintball (when paintball first began) with a Nelson 007 paint marker gun back in the mid '80's. In it's final (internally modified)form, the single shot (manual cock) pistol version chron'd 577 fps. The musket chron'd 734 fps. I still have both of 'em. This would put a .58 cal frangible paintball thru 4 Melmac plastic plates taped together at 15' range. One big hole! This is the 'Unlimited' part... no rules.

The intial objective of all of us on the team we formed was close combat shooting. None of this 'capture the flag' stuff... (altho we did that as well) in conjunction with the main training objective.We had fire and maneuver down to a science before it was beinginstitutionally taught.

Word got around... and we were engaged by various LEA's and NG/Reserve teams... including their SWAT/Tacticals and a SEAL reserve unit outt'a Little Creek, VA. We... (8 man team) 'murdered' 'em. We developed various scenarios (including hold-ups... barricade situations, meleesand man hunt sweeps) where the target fights back.

Ennyhoo... much of this involved point shooting at moving targets (shooting back) pretty much off-hand from fluid positions. I do think we contributed to many a 'lessons learned' paper for many of these outfits.

Shoot what you can see.... be it a foot, an elbow or even the gun itself.Much of this was done at a dead run, from the hip (with the musket) or pointing with the pistol version while sweeping 90 deg in front of you. Often as not, hits were made judging on where the target was supposed to be at the time you pulled the trigger. (Blind lead)

Cover/concealment and tracking (Fieldcraft) were also practiced along with ambush and counter ambush tactics. We used Aimpoint dot scopes before the LEA's 'n military did. Fast target aquisition is everything. None of this lends itself to the Weaver stance or Coopers two handed technique.

Point and shoot... It might save the split-second between being a victim or victor.

fighting_for_freedom

imported post

mrh2008 wrote:
TOF wrote:
Alamo Jack wrote: Where is it that you "safely" shoot in the air with pistols?
I dont think he literaly meant throw a dime up and shoot it...:lol:
Precisely. Figure of speech. But I bet I could anyways. I taped a dime to a piece of string once and hung it off a branch and then shot it. 'Bout as close as you can 'safely' get to the real thing.

Crossfire Jedi

imported post

I love playing paintball..I have a fully auto (modified of course electronic trigger) tipman a-5. I was the guy that would lay down the ground fire so people could move :)...especially the little ones that were scared to death, lol.
A_5blacksmall_frontal.gif