• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Three Letters

GunFire

imported post

I just wanted everyone to know that Waterbury and the State Police in LitchField
are still asking for three Letters. We just held a Pistol class on Sunday April 11 2010. We explained that the three letters were not required under state law but both PD's would not take the applications is the Three Letters were in the Package.

Any thought? The Two people are afraid to say no to the Police.

Thanks for your input.

MHemmann

imported post

I would have them call the PD ahead of time to make them aware of the law. just incase things get out of hand and they dont want to risk not getting there permits. this way they can test the waters to see what they say and work from there.

gluegun

imported post

One option is to mail the application in certified mail with return receipt requested. By signing for the application, they have "accepted" the application and trying to deny the permit for missing information would warrant an immediate appeal.

Waterbury didn't even show up to the BPFE hearing a month or two ago and automatically lost ALL of their denials. Waterbury knows they're wrong.

GunFire

imported post

This type of abuse must be stopped but how. The PD's know the law but do not respect it, and the newbe does not want to up set the Police Dept. I think we are just chasing our tails in the matter.

We hold Pistol classes every week and I tell the people the law---- and then get calls from them because the letter are asked for by the PD and then they think I lied to them.

Edward Peruta

imported post

Walk into the issuing authority, local or state, present the competed application minus the three letters, and make sure you document who took or refused your application with date and time.

If they refuse to accept or consider yourproperly presented application, send it along with the checks or , (preferably), money orders together withan appeal letter giving all the facts to the Board of Firearms Permit Examiners in Hartford.

In your appeal letter request a prompt timely hearing on the fact that your completed application was denied.

Technically the board can order a permit issued if the application is refused and it would send a very strong message if you were to get a permit without an applicaiton, fingerprints or money being accepted.

THINK ABOUT IT!!!

Chubs2287

imported post

One of my friends just had a permit class. She was very excited to finish it. Then today she came in and asked me to write a letter of recommendation. I said why? She said my instructor said it was required for the permit. I told her that it was unnecessary and that she should go pick up the app and if they require it to call me and we will handle it together.

I find it funny because this just happened like an hour ago.

And if West Haven is requiring oh they will get a piece of my mind.

This kind of thing is UNACCEPTABLE!

GunFire

imported post

I called back one of the class Members and he told me that he is going to submit the letters even though they are not required.

How can we fight this when most people just cave in to the PD.

I though the state/Board of Firearms review send a letter to all the PD's about this Issue.

GunFire

imported post

Ed thanks for your thought's, I did give this info to the person but he said that it is not worth the time or trouble.

We do anywhere from 2 to 10 Pistol Certifications per week, to tell you the truth I am getting tired of passing this information about the letters. No one seems to care except the few of us that already have our permits.

Edward Peruta

imported post

I understand why people just do what they are asked.

Consider the fact that there are over 150,000 permit holders in CT and only 150 plus or minus showed up at the Capitol on Saturday.

People have the right to do as they please and let others do the fighting.

I corespect their opinions

GunFire

imported post

Ed I agree with your statement. I also sit on my local Planing and Zoning Board and
People only come up to Bitch when a project in going in next to them or just down the street. Other wise they just sit home and do not care.
There is no involvement otherwise.
So from now on We are going to tell all the Students to contact there local Pd's and Follow there instructions.. One day the Pd's may follow the law, we can only hope.

Chubs2287

imported post

Anybody have any info or links to where the DPS or BOF said they can't require this info?

My friend just told me West Haven is asking for it. I will write a letter for her, but I still want to inform the department that this is outrageous.

GunFire

imported post

Rich B Everything effect everyone. I will not get into Zoning here.
But look at how many of us go out of our way to Lead as (Ed) does and Most of the People that have there Permits now do not care about the next guy or girl getting there permit and will not stand up or even be heard.

So Rich B If you believe that keeping your head in the sand so to speak and the next guy does the same no one will speak out to help you when you are in need. I hope you never see that day. We are only strong when we stand together.

Rich B

imported post

GunFire wrote:
Everything effect everyone.   I will not get into Zoning here.
Expecting everyone to stand up against or for everything is a bit incredulous. No single person has the time to get involved in every single cause. I cannot say I blame most people for not getting involved with every zoning decision in their town or reading every single bill passed through their state and federal legislature. That would be an enormous, overwhelming task.

stacks04

imported post

Rich B wrote:
GunFire wrote:
Everything effect everyone. I will not get into Zoning here.
Expecting everyone to stand up against or for everything is a bit incredulous. No single person has the time to get involved in every single cause. I cannot say I blame most people for not getting involved with every zoning decision in their town or reading every single bill passed through their state and federal legislature. That would be an enormous, overwhelming task.
rich i am with you here. i wish i 96 hrs a day to go to every meeting in my town, state ect. most people just dont have the time. as of late i have prioritized my things i want to put more time into. sadly planning and zoning just doesnt fit in right now.

Edward Peruta

imported post

May I suggest that the PDF copy of the Board's Declaratory Ruling be downloaded, printed and submitted along with each application.

I believe the Board is looking for appeals where issuing authorities are not in compliance with their rulings.

Submitting the Delcaratory Ruling with an application and filing an immediate appeal if they refuse to obey is only paperwork and postage to send in the appeal.

Do everyone a favor and file the appeal to build the record on those issuing authorities that choose to ignore and possibibly violate the law.

Chubs2287

imported post

Ed, I completely agree with you.

The problem is waiting for the appeal etc.

I am writing my friend a letter, so she may get her permit without any hassel or delay. I feel I should not have to, but I do not want to be the one delaying her chance of getting her permit and maybe defending herself, just becuase these PD departments want to do what they want.

If they was another way to go about getting the change I am all for it and will do some leg work. Just let me know.