• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Three Letters

Edward Peruta

imported post

I have a call in to the Board asking for a copy of the Declaratory Ruling and Evidence that it was sent to Waterbury. I suggest that others do the same.

By presenting and/or submiting the Declaratory Ruling with evidence that it was sent or received, maybe they will realize that we demand respect and compliance with the law and rulings of the Board.

Chubs2287

imported post

I as well just requested evidence that it was submitted to West Haven Police.

They must be held accountable for their actions!

romma

imported post

I spoke with New London PD today. Their Website says that they "request" three letters of reference... I am trying toget the wording changed on the siteto: "request but not require"which would be a little bit better.

They indicated since the ruling three people have submitted applications without the letters and they were processed. I would like to know for sure.

Very clever of them still...

Leverdude

imported post

Perhaps including a copy of the ruling with the letters would be a good idea?
This way they know that the applicant knows the law but assuaged their (LEO) paranoia anyway out of good faith.

I just received my NRA pistol instructor certification today. I live in Norwalk & they dont have any such requirements but I expect to have students from surrounding towns once things get rolling.

It really stinks that we, as citizens, have no real recourse to this abuse of authority. IMO simply seeing to it that folks get their permits is not enough. People should lose their jobs or face disciplinary action when they cannot administer their duties as required by law.

stacks04

imported post

i have a friend at work who took his class saturday, got his paperwork from waterbury the same day. they told him they needed the lettters, and it says it on the forms. he was well aware prior to his going there thanks to me and now holds a copy of the dps declaratory ruling to continue on. i specifically told him this am when he walked out of my work area with the papers if he wanted his permit asap then just bend over and submit the letters and i said i completely understand, or you can be a dick and bring your filled out forms, this declaratory ruling and follow the guidelines set forth in this thread about the appeals board ect. he laughed and said i want to be a dick:celebrate. if he so chooses i will report back with the outcome.

Rich B

imported post

stacks04 wrote:
I have a friend at work who took his permit class Saturday and got his paperwork from Waterbury the same day. Waterbury told him that he would have to submit reference letters and it says the same on the forms that accompanied the application.

He was aware prior to going there (thanks to me) and holds a copy of the DPS declaratory ruling. I told him this morning when he walked out of my work area with the papers that if he wanted his permit ASAP then just submit the letters. I said I completely understand if he does that. I also told him that he could be a dick and bring the filled out forms, this declaratory ruling and follow the guidelines set forth in this thread about the appeals board .

He laughed and said "I want to be a dick". If he actually does this, I will report back with the outcome.

FTFY HTH

stacks04

imported post

Rich B wrote:
stacks04 wrote:
I have a friend at work who took his permit class Saturday and got his paperwork from Waterbury the same day. Waterbury told him that he would have to submit reference letters and it says the same on the forms that accompanied the application.

He was aware prior to going there (thanks to me) and holds a copy of the DPS declaratory ruling. I told him this morning when he walked out of my work area with the papers that if he wanted his permit ASAP then just submit the letters. I said I completely understand if he does that. I also told him that he could be a dick and bring the filled out forms, this declaratory ruling and follow the guidelines set forth in this thread about the appeals board .

He laughed and said "I want to be a dick". If he actually does this, I will report back with the outcome.

FTFY HTH

stacks04

Okay guys, sorry to resurrect this thread, but I have a report back like I told you I would. My buddy decided not to be a "dick" so to speak because like most newbs, he was worried about a denial. So I wrote him the letter with a smile, about six weeks ago or so. I got a call today from the permit dept of the wtby police and was thrilled. I promptly returned the call to the woman named Carol. I politely answered her questions, and then asked if I may ask her one. She said yes and I proceeded to blurt out the
Joe: "I was curious as to why you require letters...?",
Carol: "well because we do it in lieu of the finger prints to see if the applicant is in good standing"
Joe: Aren't you aware its against the law?
Carol: we have had this request before, and we brought it to the supervisor whom brought it to our legal dept. they said we could still ask for letter so we do.
Joe: may I speak with said supervisor?
Carol: They are not in now, but I can leave a message.
Joe: Please do, they can call me on XXX-XXX-CCCC.

gluegun

I'll reiterate my suggestion to submit the application via certified mail with return receipt requested. Signing for the letter proves "acceptance" and if they deny the application for not having the letters, file an appeal. I suspect the board is still looking to make an example of the towns that aren't complying with their ruling and it *may* jump to the front of the line.