• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

open carry in car legality

crtbc

imported post

When you put your handgun in the center console or glove box traveling in a car as per az law... does it have to be in a holster sitting in the glove box or console or just free floating in there? also does that center console/glovebox need to be closed

argument is for single action vs double action to retrieve firearm

Please explain and cite law if possible

Thanks

AZkopper

imported post

It does not ALSO have to be holstered. Law states it must be either a)holstered, b)in a map pocket, glove box, or center console, or c) openly exposed.

There is no statutary language for open or closed doors on glove boxes or consoles.

Review ARS 13-3102 (weapons misconduct).

brokenbarrel

imported post

AZkopper wrote:
It does not ALSO have to be holstered. Law states it must be either a)holstered, b)in a map pocket, glove box, or center console, or c) openly exposed.

There is no statutary language for open or closed doors on glove boxes or consoles.

Review ARS 13-3102 (weapons misconduct).
i agree with you but most officers ive talked to believe it must be holstered as well so prior to recieving my permit i had a seperate holster in the vehicle for it -just in case-i like to have as many bases covered as possible....Another thing alot of people over look is butterfly and switch blade knives arizona says there ok but i bet if you catch an officer on a bad day he'll take you in under federal law or somethin like that i dont know the specifics but in california people had perscription marijuana ok by state law illegal by federal.......I dont carry those borderline knives,dont use drugs and dont drink so im pretty good;now if they outlaw cigarettes im in trouble..I only have two habits cigarettes and sex;the sex i might be able to do without but cigarettes i dont know..lol

acmariner99

imported post

I've had a lot of help with this question. Like the guys above me said, your firearm should be either in a holster OR in the glovebox, console, mapbox, etc. Personally I keep a holster in the car and one on my hip. Still working on finding a place that is "easy to access," so the holster allows it to be wherever I wish it to be.

azcdlfred

imported post

crtbc wrote:
When you put your handgun in the center console or glove box traveling in a car as per az law... does it have to be in a holster sitting in the glove box or console or just free floating in there? also does that center console/glovebox need to be closed.argument is for single action vs double action to retrieve firearm.
Please explain and cite law if possible
The statute is ARS 13-3102.G. But, it has been clouded by a couple of 1994 court decisions. Read the second page of the attached flyer.

Fortunately all this BS goes away when SB 1108 becomes law. ARS 13-3102.G has been stricken from the law, along with the sections saying you need a permit.

Fred