• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Just had a "different" experience in Littlestown Sheetz

Mr.FiredUp

imported post

So, my wife is pregnant and "needed" a frozen coffee drink from Sheetz. I went in to Sheetz with my hi-point c-9 in holster (as usual) wearing a sweatshirt, jeans, and I haven't shaved in a couple days (just pointing out that I didn't look like a cop) to order her drink.

I notice a white van with tinted windows, spotlight, and MD tags. I thought it may have been a customer of mine who works for the police in MD because it looked like the one he drives. I headed in the door and looked around as I walked in to see if my customer was there so I could say hi.

I didn't see him, but I did see a guy with a gun on his hip, a "high and tight" haircut, and a black shirt tucked in that looked like it had the MDSP logo on it. He was talking to someone I see in there fairly regularly. The officer immediately looked down at my gun and seemed confused/concerned. I simply said "how you doin' sir?", as I do with most everyone, and went to the order screen to punch in the wifeys order.

As I could still see them in my peripheral vision, the officer moved close to the other guy and said, "What does that guy think he's doing?". The local simply stated, "Oh, PA has open carry.". The officer said back, "What?", seeming to get more confused. They then moved further away so I couldn't see or hear them.

I finished my order, paid, got her drink and walked out. The funny part was I got to say "Have a nice day" to the officer as he stared me down from the door of the Sheetz to my truck. I assume he is not familiar with this area. Hopefully today showed him that a civilian can carry a gun and not act like a crazy person. This short education may have prevented him from going in to "panic mode" if he saw a MWAG in PA again.

Another (seemingly) successful OC encounter in PA! And I didn't even have to explain anything!

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Deanimator wrote:
If he got lippy, you might have reminded him that he's a GUEST in YOUR state.
"PA State police? Yes. I would like to report a possible police impersonator. Yes, ma'am. There is a man here dressed in what seems like a Maryland police uniform, but he is behaving unprofessionally. Based on his unprofessional conduct, I really don't thinkhe is a genuine police officer.Can you send someone to check this out?"

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

t1m0thy wrote:
Fair is fair. If some copswant to claim some special status, be heroes in blue, and project some false professionalism by way of the Blue Wall of Silence, so be it.

Some cops want us to believe all that nonsense. Fine with me. I believe it. They have no room to complain if I actually adopt and use what they want me to believe.

thejax

imported post

Citizen wrote:
Deanimator wrote:
If he got lippy, you might have reminded him that he's a GUEST in YOUR state.
"PA State police? Yes. I would like to report a possible police impersonator. Yes, ma'am. There is a man here dressed in what seems like a Maryland police uniform, but he is behaving unprofessionally. Based on his unprofessional conduct, I really don't thinkhe is a genuine police officer.Can you send someone to check this out?"
I ABSOLUTELY love what you said here! hahahahahahaaha

I would sooo do that. Maryland officers aggravate me.

Mr H

imported post

Living IN Maryland (born and raised), I have to agree!!!

The hubris of the MSP, andespecially the politicians, is mind-boggling!!

For the group in general... does PA make a distinction of resident v. non-res. on OC???

KBCraig

imported post

Whenever I find myself making that quick dash through Hagerstown on I-81, I have to remind myself: "This isn't Virgina, and this isn't Pennsylvania. This isn't Virgina, and this isn't Pennsylvania. This isn't Virgina, and this isn't Pennsylvania..."

Sig229

imported post

That was a good post.

You know whats funny also, yesterday I saw two MSP officers in Uniontown, PA in Fayette county.

I was also OC'ing but I dont think they saw me.

Keep in mind Fayette county is a good drive from the MD line.

I am a little worried about the sudden influx of Nazi Maryland LEO's coming into our state.

Makes me nervous....

Maybe somethings going on. Could be Police cross training or perhaps MSP is really looking hard for somebody in an investigation.

Either way, they better respect our local laws and gun freedoms.

I escaped Maryland for a reason!

jahwarrior

imported post

t1m0thy wrote:
Nice. 

On a side note does anyone else notice that PSP seem to be waaaaay more anti open carry than local cops?

i've seen the opposite, myself. i've dealt with PSP on occasion, and except for one minor incident, PSP has always been thoroughly courteous and professional. my issues are always with local PDs and other LEOs.

tdyoung58

imported post

jahwarrior72 wrote:
t1m0thy wrote:
Nice.

On a side note does anyone else notice that PSP seem to be waaaaay more anti open carry than local cops?

i've seen the opposite, myself. i've dealt with PSP on occasion, and except for one minor incident, PSP has always been thoroughly courteous and professional. my issues are always with local PDs and other LEOs.
same here, it's the local revenuers that give me worries

FordDave

Another different experience

I open carry in Lancaster County. I walked into Lowes one morning right after they opened shorts, plain white shirt, unshaved, hair a mess with my 9mm on my side. The few people in the store were looking at me like I was going to rob the store. One person asked me why I carry. I told him that I spent 3 years in Afghanistan as a civilian and that people are untrustworthy to me anymore. He then asked me why I was in Afghanistan. I replied that is where my job is working on the Maxxpro MRAP vehicle. Anyways the conversation went on. My final statement to him was, What if someone walked in right now attemptng to rob the store? What if they started opening up on innocent people? Who would stop them? You never know what is going to happen. Criminals do not follow laws! Education is the key to Safety!

Dave
:cool: