• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OT - Just Returned From Front Sight

Idlechater

imported post

Hey Gang:

I generally just lurk, but thought I would post about my recent trip to Front Sight. The short story - excellent training, outstanding instructors, high quality facilities.

My son (16) and I (too old) took the 4-day Defensive Handgun class. I have been shooting pistols for 30+ years and over the course of the class improved my shooting skills tremendously. Both my son and I graduated with Distinction scoring down 11 and 9 respectively from a possible 150 points. Another aspect of the class that I truly appreciated was the discussion surrounding the use of deadly force. They advocate that you avoid it if possible, when necessary - shoot to stop an attack/not to kill (two controlled thoracic shots and one failure to stopcraniothoracic shots if necessary)- and yes, sometimes the bad guys dies. They also point out that you can do everything perfect and still end up dead.

My only criticism would be that the class was too large for the number of line instructors - a 15:1 ratio. That said, we were told that there were 800 students on the property during our weekend which is their largest class yet.

As for those worried about the "sales pitch". Basically it occurs during the lunches on Day 1 and 2. You are not required to attend the sales pitch, so if you don't want to hear it - you just eat lunch some where else.

If you have not gone, I would highly recommend it. Certificates can be purchased off of EBay at a significant discount to the retail price of the classes.

Jeff Hayes

imported post

I also took the class in mid March and agree with the OP except that the instructor ratio was about 10 to 1 for my class.

knight_308

imported post

I took the four day practical rifle and enjoyed the experience immensely. I've got a cert earmarked for going to the handgun class, but I can't afford travel, lodging, food, or ammo :)