Thread: OC Carson City

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

Hello,

I just wanted to share my experience.

Originally from Texas living on many acres, (been in NV for last 11 years), I am no stranger to firearms of all types. However, I have not owned a gun for many years, until recently feeling the need to own one again due to a recent home break-in that occurred 6 houses up from mine, in broad daylight, middle class subdivision, and with a police officer living across from this house as well.

Without writing a book, I purchased a firearm once again and I have OC'ed for my first time yesterday. I did extensive research on laws, verified with local authorities, etc. just to make sure. To be honest, I was somewhat nervous. I ran my usuall errands, Walmart, Gas, wife's work, etc. and it went very well. At the end of the day reflecting on it, I was pleased with the reactions, or non-reactions I should say.

This is a great right to exercise for many reasons, and I felt really good about it. I would also like to say this website and all the discussions have been extremely helpful!

There is one thing I am unsure of, question: When I do OC (currently do not have a ccw, yet) when I get into my vehicle, what is the protocol or law? I was told that the gun has to be in open view, like on the seat. Can it be loaded or does it have to be unloaded. Can anyone shed some light on this or point me somewhere?

Thanks,
    Dan

Post imported post

dchoepp wrote:
    There is one thing I am unsure of, question: When I do OC (currently do not have a ccw, yet) when I get into my vehicle, what is the protocol or law? I was told that the gun has to be in open view, like on the seat. Can it be loaded or does it have to be unloaded. Can anyone shed some light on this or point me somewhere?
    Welcome to the board.

No law addresses OC and what is legal/illegal. The defintion of a CCW is " 1. “Concealed firearm” means a loaded or unloaded pistol, revolver or other firearm which is carried upon a person in such a manner as not to be discernible by ordinary observation." So basically, as long as it isn't concealed on your person, you're fine.

OC in a vehicle has been a non-issue in my experience on this board. Gun can be loaded. Rifles can have loaded magazines, but must have an empty chamber (hunting thing).

Post imported post

Welcome to the board! Nice to see someone else from Carson city. Around town, OC unfriendly places would be the McDonalds with the big play place across from the Fandango; theTopsy lane Wal-Mart can also be unfriendly and I would guess that the guys at Nevada Gun Exchange would be very unhappy to see an OC'er. Will Friend up at the Armory in MoundHouse would be a better bet for shopping for things gun related.

Post imported post

Sitting in your auto does not constitute "concealed from view." YMMV, IANAL, and I did not stay at holiday INN Express last night.

And, review the pamphlet
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

I actually went into Walmart (Topsy Ln.) and talked to the store Manager. This was a few days before I ever OC. I was in there at about 11pm on a Tuesday night, wife just got off of work, and we were picking up a few things. I happened to see the Manager and asked him what the store policy was.

He stated that it was perfectly fine with them, however if customers started to complain or become fearful, they have the right to ask me to leave. I was polite, as was he. I forget his name.

Post imported post

Welcome, I too live in Carson City it is a good place to oc. Stay away from the McDonalds on the north end of town (by the old K-Mart) not OC friendly every where else I have had no problems. We should get together for meeting her in town.Never had any problems at any Wal-mart (maybe thats cause i work for the Company and have workrd in both of the Carson City stores ) Even if customers get excited they should explain to the customer that it is a company policy that OC is ok and if THEY are not ok with it they can leave, not ask you to leave.:celebrate

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

Its all about ignorance and lack of knowledge on these peoples part. To me, since I recently became an OCer, it's astounding what people think they know, to what is actually right, and then trying to enforce what they "think"is right is just ridiculous.

The whole thought process of "its for the people's protection" is absurd. I would really like to get a nice group together soon, and start on a regular basis here in CC for an event of some sort, even in Reno

My wife has served as a Marine, has a college education, is an EMT and is in Nursing.

I have a college education, an EMT as well.

I think Most of us OC'ers (ones I know) are extremely intelligent, knowledgeable, courteous, dress well, respectful, and the list goes on and on. I would like to have a get together in CC supporting and showing what OC is and spread the awareness and the "RIGHT".

Post imported post

Lets get together soon! There is a lot of places we can pick up trash. With a Sheriffs election coming soon we can get a chance to see which of our leaders are cool with OC.

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

I am game to get something setup for Carson City.

Post imported post

I'm up for something during the week.

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

Well, looks like we got 3 so far.....