Thread: Corps of Engineer lakes question

Post imported post

Howdy all, I read, I believe in the AL forum, where Marine patrol stopped someone for OC'ing on a boat and asked for their CC license.

My question is, I use lake Westpoint , which is a Corps of Engineer lake in GA & AL. Does anyone know what the rules/regs would be for OC or CC carrying on a Corpse of Engineer lake?

Banned

Post imported post

Interesting question. Is a boat considered a vehicle? If so, a license to CC is required.

Post imported post

Yes, that was covered in the other post that I read. The boat is considered a vehicle so you would be required to have the license.

I guess what my question should have asked was since this is federal land/water, are there any more rules/regs that would need to be followed. Since the Corpse of Engineers falls under the DOD and carrying on a military installation is mostly a NO-NO I wasn't sure if the rules would be the same as say FT Benning where I work.

Regular Member Brimstone Baritone's Avatar

Post imported post

If a CoE lake is considered private property, then you would have to contact someone who knows the policy (if there is one) regarding firearms. If it is not private property, then you must follow all state rules that apply to boats. A cursory google search turned up that Alabama vessels are considered vehicles for the purposes of DUI/DWI and for repo laws.

ETA: Doh! Didn't think of it being federal/military.
    There was a time that the pieces fit, but I watched them fall away, mildewed and smoldering, strangled by our coveting. I've done the math enough to know the dangers of our second guessing. Doomed to crumble, unless we grow and strengthen our communication. -Tool, "Schism"

Post imported post

This is an interesting question indeed. The father of a friend of mine is a big wig with the marine police. I will send him an e-mail and see if he can find out.

MT

Post imported post

Unless it's a lake on a military or federal reservation, I wouldn't count on it. Wheeler, Wilson, Guntersville, and Pickwick Lakes were all created as a result of TVA action, but were given to the states. Therefore, the policing of the same creates a strange jurisdictional problem -- the TVA has it's own police force, but the lakes are considered state property. Who may carry indeed.
    It takes a village to raise an idiot.

Post imported post

Westpoint is a Corps of engineer lake. The Corps owns all the land surrounding the lake also so I would think it would be considered a federal reservation of some sorts.

http://westpt.sam.usace.army.mil/

Post imported post

Here is the offical Title 36 regs for Corps property. It doesn't appear as though CC has anything to do with it. I am headed out to one of their sites for some fishing tomorrow so thought I had better know what was what

http://www.swf.usace.army.mil/pubdat...es/title36.pdf

327.13 Explosives, firearms, other weapons and fireworks.

(a) The possession of loaded firearms, ammunition, loaded projectile firing devices, bows and arrows, crossbows, or other weapons is prohibited unless:

(1) In the possession of a Federal, state or local law enforcement officer;

(2) Being used for hunting or fishing as permitted under 327.8, with devices being unloaded when transported to, from or between hunting and fishing sites;

(3) Being used at authorized shooting ranges; or

(4) Written permission has been received from the District Commander.

(b) Possession of explosives or explosive devices of any kind, including fireworks or other pyrotechnics, is prohibited unless written permission has been received from the District Commander.