• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Bicycling w/ CCW

Nomadic

imported post

Not an OC question but would still like to know if the "other private means of conveyance" phrase in CO law applies to motorcycles and bicycles in relation to unlicensed concealed carry?

cscitney87

imported post

PikesPeakMtnMan wrote:
Motorcycles, yes...bicycles, I think so (because "conveyance" is what gets you from point A to point B)
You're saying that you can conceal carry without a permit while riding a bicycle?? If that is true- you are saying you technically CANNOT put your feet down on the ground in public property? Or is it okay as long as your butt is still sitting on the bicycle seat or how does that work? Hmmmmmmm I wonder.

The motorcycle; so we can carry concealed- without a permit- while riding a motorcycle? Same thing applies to the previous question- what happens when you take your feet off the pegs and put them on the ground? Stopping at stop lights- butt still on the seat so you are still "on the motorcycle" right? You would have to Uncover your weapon the SECOND you stepped off your bicycle or motorcycle?

groovedrummer

imported post

cscitney87 wrote:
PikesPeakMtnMan wrote:
Motorcycles, yes...bicycles, I think so (because "conveyance" is what gets you from point A to point B)
You're saying that you can conceal carry without a permit while riding a bicycle?? If that is true- you are saying you technically CANNOT put your feet down on the ground in public property? Or is it okay as long as your butt is still sitting on the bicycle seat or how does that work? Hmmmmmmm I wonder.

The motorcycle; so we can carry concealed- without a permit- while riding a motorcycle? Same thing applies to the previous question- what happens when you take your feet off the pegs and put them on the ground? Stopping at stop lights- butt still on the seat so you are still "on the motorcycle" right? You would have to Uncover your weapon the SECOND you stepped off your bicycle or motorcycle?

but even if it is legal as long as your butts still on the seat, what happens when an officer pulls you over, and when you inform him that your carrying a gun he asks you to keep your hands away from it and step off the motor cycle??

If hes in a bad mood, your federally f***ed...

FogRider

imported post

ItTakesAWolf wrote:
but even if it is legal as long as your butts still on the seat, what happens when an officer pulls you over, and when you inform him that your carrying a gun he asks you to keep your hands away from it and step off the motor cycle??

It's the same situation as if you were in a car. Inform the officer that you are carrying, and can't leave the vehicle legally. If he insists, ask for a supervisor. There was a thread a month or so back where that exact situation happened, a guy got pulled over in Denver without a CCW. I forget exactly how it went down, but it ended just fine.

ETA:
IIRC, if the bike is running and you are in control of it, you are considered "in" the vehicle. So even if you were standing straddling the bike at a light, you'd still be good. I wish I could remember where I read that, I'd like to re-read it myself.

groovedrummer

imported post

FogRider wrote:
ItTakesAWolf wrote:

It's the same situation as if you were in a car. Inform the officer that you are carrying, and can't leave the vehicle legally. If he insists, ask for a supervisor. There was a thread a month or so back where that exact situation happened, a guy got pulled over in Denver without a CCW. I forget exactly how it went down, but it ended just fine.

ETA:
IIRC, if the bike is running and you are in control of it, you are considered "in" the vehicle. So even if you were standing straddling the bike at a light, you'd still be good. I wish I could remember where I read that, I'd like to re-read it myself.

well thats good that it worked out for him.

if you find it link me to it if you dont mind.

bomber

imported post

i wish police officers were a good source of information about the laws, it would be so much easier if we could just ask one.

i live in denver county, and i want to start riding my bike to work. my c9 conceals well when i am on foot, but not if i moving around a lot. so i figure OC is the only way to go if i am on a bicycle. i'd love to know for sure if i am in the clear on this. i would think that since the bicycle is a conveyance, then it must be ok, but you just never know.

Suburban78

imported post

frogrider, it was me who was stopped in denver while OCing in my truck. I had just dropped off the wife and some friends at the filmore for a show. i had just turned off colfax and was stopped by Denver PD for a tail light out. when the (seemed new and a little nervous) officer approached my window we spoke for a minute and i informed him that i was armed. He then asked me to exit the vehicle and i said i would rathernot and asked if he could call a supervisor. He agreed and we had a short chat while waiting (only about 2 or 3 minutes). The officer told me to stay put and whent and talked to the supervisor for a minute. He then returned and with my reg. and ins. and told me to have a good night. That was that. I can only think that if i had gotten out that i may have been arrested for OC in Denver. I'm posting from my phone and could not find my OP but you all can check through my post to find it. I'll look for the OP when i get home..

FogRider

imported post

I asked on another forum and got a few responses from legal and insurance type folks, and the consensus seems to be "talk to a lawyer".

I'm thinking you'd still have to conceal in Denver though. Denver is CC only, but if you're in a vehicle any kind of carry is not considered concealed, permit-wise. That's my understanding of it anyway.

Suburban78

imported post

since9 wrote: I'm amazed that people can text so much from their phone...
It's not just a phone.LOL. It's me new Windows mobile HTC HD2 from T-Mobile. Has a 4.3in touch screen and full keyboard so I am able to type almost s fast as I can on my home Pc. And the full mobile internet browser rocks and is wicked fast. I would think that the same rules for a motorcycle would apply to a bicycle. I for one have a few doubts about it and don't like to have to trust my rights to the judgement of some random officer who most likely won't know all the laws and may end up causing a lot of trouble for the carrier. Hope to get a solid answer to this question!