Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looks like a lot of us are on the Gun Control Video

Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar

Post imported post

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar

Post imported post

The have shrunk so much that they have to use our rallies or they would have nothing to show. :P

Yata hey
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Post imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
    The have shrunk so much that they have to use our rallies or they would have nothing to show. :P

Yata hey
    Notice that I had the Guns Save Lives sticker on my pants leg that she had just refused to wear. Now I'm really hurt.

I need to ask her what format her videos are in. Mine get so compressed they get fuzzy.

Post imported post

WOO, 0:41, im famous, haha

I dont see how this film works against us. It made me feel proud to be OCing and standing up for what i believe is right

Post imported post

DJEEPER wrote:

I dont see how this film works against us. It made me feel proud to be OCing and standing up for what i believe is right
    It's making subtle inferences that we suggest, support, and condone violent and irresponsible acts by using sound bites and photos of quotes on t-shirts.

To be honest, I wish people wouldn't wear shirts with stuff like the prayer from The Boondock Saints on it or the like at rallies/events/marches. While it sounds cool it's hard to take the stand that it's not meant as a promotion of vigilantism which is something commonly used against gun owners. "Oh just a bunch of wannabe vigilantes" Same sort of thing with The Punisher 1911 grips and Glock slide cover plates et al... It might all look/sound cool but given the chance it will be used against us, especially when present at rallies/marches/events where there are plenty of cameras.

Post imported post

Curtis wrote:
    DJEEPER wrote:

It's making subtle inferences that we suggest, support, and condone violent and irresponsible acts by using sound bites and photos of quotes on t-shirts.

To be honest, I wish people wouldn't wear shirts with stuff like the prayer from The Boondock Saints on it or the like at rallies/events/marches. While it sounds cool it's hard to take the stand that it's not meant as a promotion of vigilantism which is something commonly used against gun owners. "Oh just a bunch of wannabe vigilantes" Same sort of thing with The Punisher 1911 grips and Glock slide cover plates et al... It might all look/sound cool but given the chance it will be used against us, especially when present at rallies/marches/events where there are plenty of cameras.
    I think you're right Curtis. Mike said it all the other day. This is a public relations game.

I always try to put everybody in a better light. What Lauri didn't show in her video were the people there that didn't have T shirts or statement making guns.
    I don't know if you've met Nemo, but he's one of the most respectable looking people I know. He wasn't in her video. Philip wouldn't have been if he wasn't a speaker.

I'm also not going to try to tell anyone how to dress. That's just one of those personal things we all have to decide for themselves.

I'm sure some members were horrified to find out I unloaded the 1911 before the event. It's just a personal call on my part though, since I knew I'd have to take it out of the holster to go in the GA building.

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA

Post imported post

I'm very disappointed....

I had my company t-shirt on and I didn'tsee a big close up of my shirt on the video.

James Reynolds

NRA Certified Firearms Instructor - Pistol, Shotgun, Home Firearms Safety, Refuse To Be A Victim
    Concealed Firearms Instructor for Virginia, Florida & Utah permits.
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    Sabre Red Pepper Spray Instructor
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Instructor Bio - http://proactiveshooters.com/about-us/

Post imported post

So what I'd like to know is...

Did all of you give her permission to use your image on her video? Shouldn't you have had to sign a release or something? If you didn't, can you demand she remove you from the video?

I was at the Bell Tower last month - did you see the plaque on the far right when Cuccinelli was speaking? We (the DAR) put that up in March.

Post imported post

Riana wrote:

Did all of you give her permission to use your image on her video? Shouldn't you have had to sign a release or something? If you didn't, can you demand she remove you from the video?

I was at the Bell Tower last month - did you see the plaque on the far right when Cuccinelli was speaking? We (the DAR) put that up in March.
    It's a public place, so it's my understanding that you can photograph people and be photographed people without a release form.

Alexandria, Fairfax County, Virginia, USA

Post imported post

I wanted to comment and thank them for posting such a patriotic video but, alas, couldn't find a way to do so. Are comments turned off?

Too bad they had to show so much of Cuccinelli - with whom I disagree on nearly everything BUT guns - but it was still patriotic.
    Laws alone can not secure freedom of expression; in order that every man present his views without penalty there must be spirit of tolerance in the entire population. -Albert Einstein

Post imported post

Curtis wrote:
    Riana wrote:

It's a public place, so it's my understanding that you can photograph people and be photographed people without a release form.
    And publish it?

Post imported post

Riana wrote:
    Curtis wrote:
    Riana wrote:

And publish it?
    Why not?

A quick google search is saying (via another forum) that they cannot be used for advertising/commercial use or profit without a model release

http://photo.net/business-photography-forum/00UKLq

Post imported post

Comments are "on," but you need to create an account to make them.

Go to the home page and look in the left hand column.

Alexandria, Fairfax County, Virginia, USA

Post imported post

The Donkey wrote:

Nope. Not that interested. I have a personal disgust for sites that make you register before you can speak.
    Laws alone can not secure freedom of expression; in order that every man present his views without penalty there must be spirit of tolerance in the entire population. -Albert Einstein

Post imported post

Riana wrote:
    Curtis wrote:
    Riana wrote:

And publish it?
    Yep...and publish it. There is no expectation of privacy in a public place.

They are in my slide show.

Post imported post

Well, if you have a youtube account, you could comment there....if you wanted to...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lf2LJ...layer_embedded

not that you have too..... :0

Post imported post

bohdi wrote:
    Well, if you have a youtube account, you could comment there....if you wanted to...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lf2LJ...layer_embedded

not that you have too..... :0
    Why bother Bohdi. You won't change their minds.

As a father, I really feel for Lori. You can't convince her that the car isn't responsible for the drunk driving it though.

She's civil enough when she records these events. Even when I rattle her cage. I took a CLOSE UP picture of her Monday and tried to give her a Guns Save Lives sticker.
    No Screaming or even stuffiness, just a smile and no thank you.

She, her daughter and two little fellows I've never seen before, are all in my Slideshow.

Let her live in her little world. They aren't much more than a minor annoyance. Maybe one day she'll quit blaming the gun and thank God her daughter wasn't killed.

Post imported post

Tess wrote:
    The Donkey wrote:

Nope.* Not that interested.** I have a personal disgust for sites that make you register before you can speak.**
    You post here though. :P

Post imported post

im1 wrote:
    Ken hangs with the insurrectionists
    That Cuccinelli is encouraging a crowd including insurrectionist militia guys and folks calling the families of Va Tech victims "evil" is news. It may not be shocking news but it is worth taking note.

Post imported post

Curtis wrote:
    DJEEPER wrote:

OOPS... I guess we didn't even think about what we were wearing when we went to the rally that day. The slide just before the Boondock Saints t-shirt was the back of my head. I had NO IDEA I had THAT MUCH SILVER HAIR back there!!! Why is my DHS hat a problem? I retired from DHS and wear it all the time. What point were they trying to make with that close-up photo of my silver hair and faded DHS hat?

The next slide was my daughter Bridget wearing the Boondock Saints t-shirt and the Glock 21 on her right hip. I'll forward this thread to her and remind her that we should be more careful in planning our wardrobe when we OC.

Mea Culpa, Mea Maxima Fluckin Culpa...

"If I know that I am headed for a fight, I want something larger with more power, preferably crew-served.
    However, like most of us, as I go through my daily life, I carry something a bit more compact, with a lot less power."
    (unknown 'gun~writer')

Remington 1911 R1 (Back to Basics)
    SERPA retention or concealed...

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
    (Borrowed from "The Perfect Day" by LTC Dave Grossman)

Post imported post

While you're taking a break to forward it to her, make it a little bit longer and take a trip to the medicine cabinet for a Xanax. Your daughter can wear whatever the hell she wants and I can think whatever I want about.

Your reference to silver hair and faded hat has no correlation whatsoever to the point I was making with shirts suggesting the promotion of acts of vigilantism by way of a quote from a movie that glorified it... or the same with grips, slide plate covers, et al... that do the same with The Punisher logo.

And lastly as peter nap said:

I'm also not going to try to tell anyone how to dress. That's just one of those personal things we all have to decide for themselves.

Post imported post

I know this video was made to attack those who support the 2nd Amendment, but I think it did a great job of providing more publicity about our rights. Thanks gun control advocates! We appreciate it!

Post imported post

I'm telling you....

Hey, if they pull it down, let me know. I've already archived it.
    Why open carry? Because 1911 > 911.

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar

Post imported post

AbNo wrote:
    I'm telling you....

Hey, if they pull it down, let me know. I've already archived it.
    Recognition by any other name is still recognition.

Yata hey
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Post imported post

Lighen up, Curtis. My daughter and I discuss what we wear when we OC often. On the way to Richmond that day, she told me she thought it may not have been the best choice of t-shirts. Not a big deal. We like to set a good example when we're representing "The Movement". I carry everywhere I go (with the obvious exceptions of unlawful places). I rarely get a second look.

Bridget, on the other hand gets :what:every time because of her stature: She's only 5' tall and carries a full size .45 cal Glock (Mod 21SF). As all women are, she is a great Ambassador for the Open Carry Movement.
    "If I know that I am headed for a fight, I want something larger with more power, preferably crew-served.
    However, like most of us, as I go through my daily life, I carry something a bit more compact, with a lot less power."
    (unknown 'gun~writer')

Remington 1911 R1 (Back to Basics)
    SERPA retention or concealed...

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
    (Borrowed from "The Perfect Day" by LTC Dave Grossman)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast