• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Looks like a lot of us are on the Gun Control Video

curtiswr

imported post

While you're taking a break to forward it to her, make it a little bit longer and take a trip to the medicine cabinet for a Xanax. Your daughter can wear whatever the hell she wants and I can think whatever I want about.

Your reference to silver hair and faded hat has no correlation whatsoever to the point I was making with shirts suggesting the promotion of acts of vigilantism by way of a quote from a movie that glorified it... or the same with grips, slide plate covers, et al... that do the same with The Punisher logo.

And lastly as peter nap said:

I'm also not going to try to tell anyone how to dress. That's just one of those personal things we all have to decide for themselves.

dng

State Researcher
imported post

I know this video was made to attack those who support the 2nd Amendment, but I think it did a great job of providing more publicity about our rights. Thanks gun control advocates! We appreciate it!

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

AbNo wrote:
I'm telling you....

Hey, if they pull it down, let me know. I've already archived it. :)
Recognition by any other name is still recognition. :D

Yata hey

MSC 45ACP

imported post

Lighen up, Curtis. My daughter and I discuss what we wear when we OC often. On the way to Richmond that day, she told me she thought it may not have been the best choice of t-shirts. Not a big deal. We like to set a good example when we're representing "The Movement". I carry everywhere I go (with the obvious exceptions of unlawful places). I rarely get a second look.

Bridget, on the other hand gets :what:every time because of her stature: She's only 5' tall and carries a full size .45 cal Glock (Mod 21SF). As all women are, she is a great Ambassador for the Open Carry Movement.

richarcm

imported post

We need more and more and more of these types of events. Whether it be Lobby Day, a 2nd Amendment March or some sort of rally against Cantor. If we are to mainstream guns I think we need to mainstream our message a bit more. I still think we need more of a presence at TEA parties. The Richmond TEA party was very eager to help us during Lobby Day and now we have the Roanoke TEA party asking for a panel to talk about the 2nd Amendment at their July 4th TEA party. We need to at a MINIMUM mainstream our message to our OWN PEOPLE (TEA Partiers). It seems like the more we have an event that puts us on the news or in the paper the more people are forced to think about their own personal defense and the more positive feedback/support we receive.

Before Lobby Day are there any planned and organized events? Each time we have an event the antis blood pressure skyrockets and their faces start to twitch. I want more of this.

richarcm

imported post

peter nap wrote:
I'm sure some members were horrified to find out I unloaded the 1911 before the event. It's just a personal call on my part though, since I knew I'd have to take it out of the holster to go in the GA building.
You had to take it out of your holster? Why? Don't you just get wanded like everybody else?

MSC 45ACP

imported post

richarcm wrote:
We need more and more and more of these types of events. Whether it be Lobby Day, a 2nd Amendment March or some sort of rally against Cantor. If we are to mainstream guns I think we need to mainstream our message a bit more. I still think we need more of a presence at TEA parties. The Richmond TEA party was very eager to help us during Lobby Day and now we have the Roanoke TEA party asking for a panel to talk about the 2nd Amendment at their July 4th TEA party. We need to at a MINIMUM mainstream our message to our OWN PEOPLE (TEA Partiers). It seems like the more we have an event that puts us on the news or in the paper the more people are forced to think about their own personal defense and the more positive feedback/support we receive.

Before Lobby Day are there any planned and organized events? Each time we have an event the antis blood pressure skyrockets and their faces start to twitch. I want more of this.
+1

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

richarcm wrote:
peter nap wrote:
I'm sure some members were horrified to find out I unloaded the 1911 before the event. It's just a personal call on my part though, since I knew I'd have to take it out of the holster to go in the GA building.
You had to take it out of your holster? Why? Don't you just get wanded like everybody else?
No, I don't get wanded. Lobbyist can bypass that.....BUT, I don't have a CHP so wanded or not, I can't take it into the building.

Bulldog1967

imported post

Riana wrote:
Curtis wrote:
Riana wrote:
So what I'd like to know is...

Did all of you give her permission to use your image on her video?  Shouldn't you have had to sign a release or something?  If you didn't, can you demand she remove you from the video?

I was at the Bell Tower last month - did you see the plaque on the far right when Cuccinelli was speaking?  We (the DAR) put that up in March.  :cool:
It's a public place, so it's my understanding that you can photograph people and be photographed people without a release form.
And publish it?

Yes. (I am the videographer for VCDL).

Matt

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

Bulldog1967 wrote:
Riana wrote:
Curtis wrote:
Riana wrote:
So what I'd like to know is...

Did all of you give her permission to use your image on her video? Shouldn't you have had to sign a release or something? If you didn't, can you demand she remove you from the video?

I was at the Bell Tower last month - did you see the plaque on the far right when Cuccinelli was speaking? We (the DAR) put that up in March. :cool:
It's a public place, so it's my understanding that you can photograph people and be photographed people without a release form.
And publish it?

Yes. (I am the videographer for VCDL).

Matt
And you do an excellent job Matt. I don't think you get enough recognition.
I've been slowly moving from stills to video and it still amazes how different video is and how much more work it is.

A big hand for the excellent work you do!

MSC 45ACP

imported post

peter nap wrote:
I've been slowly moving from stills to video and it still amazes how different video is and how much more work it is.

+1.

When I use the video function on the family digital camera, It looks worse than the Blair Witch Project. Even I get a headache if I record while moving. Need a bigger rig and more practice, I guess.

You folks that can video something and not give the viewer a case of vertigo are to be commended!!!

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

MSC 45ACP wrote:
peter nap wrote:

+1.

When I use the video function on the family digital camera, It looks worse than the Blair Witch Project. Even I get a headache if I record while moving. Need a bigger rig and more practice, I guess.

You folks that can video something and not give the viewer a case of vertigo are to be commended!!!
Shoulder rigs and tripods are our friends.:lol:
I'm shooting for a documentary this evening and it's in tight quarters. I'm taking every rest and rig I have. He also wants to stay annomonous so I'll be shooting shadows and hands and doing seperate audio using an H4N that I have exactly 2 days experience with.

While I love my 7D, I sweat over the focus on it. On the newer fast lenses I have like the nifty 50 1.8, there isn't enough focus ring to mount a follow focus. Auto focus sucks and I have to use a Hoodman or field monitor and watch it every second.

MSC 45ACP

imported post

Thanks for the explanation peter, but being an olf-fashioned still photographer I don't really know all the stuff you spoke of in this post.

I know F-stops and I'll take a wild guess that the "1.8" is an f-stop. The rest of it is Greek. Lemme find a videographer's glossary and beat you to death with it... ;)

I still have the Canon A-1my parents gave mefor graduation from HS. I can't remember the last time I used it. I have a pretty good collection of Coken filters for it, too!

nemo

imported post

peter nap wrote:
I don't know if you've met Nemo, but he's one of the most respectable looking people I know.
Aw, shucks, Peter. :cool:

That is because I have gone to work before attending VCDL event, rally, dinner, whatever, and that is what I wear for work. When I OC around town, on the week-end, I wear dress Levis, sometimes slacks, socks with good shoes, polo or other good shirt, so that I make a generally good impression (I have been rousted in the past, as noted on this forum, so I am making an effort to prevent its recurrence based on my appearance). When I OC at home or in the yard, I dress like any other slob: ratty/faded shorts, barefoot or sandals, old T-shirt or not.

Vanns40

imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
The have shrunk so much that they have to use our rallies or they would have nothing to show. :p

Yata hey

Yeah, we have to make sure that they know we are the good guys. Perhaps with a banner they can't pan away from.

Dave Vann