• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Camping Carry

ZackL

imported post

Okay, I know the strangeness of Denver parks and the necessity of being careful about where you carry. However, I am wondering what the legalities of my brother carrying in the back country is? If you don't know, he's 16. I know that there are some circumstance that he can carry (i.e. on our property, while hunting, etc.) but I'm not sure if he can carry while camping. What if he's out hiking on his own? I was just curious before we get up there to ensure he's either always near me or he has his own gun.

Thanks for the help.

since9

Campaign Veteran
imported post

The short answer is that if he's under 18, it's illegal for him to be in possession of a handgun while camping, as that falls outside of the exceptions listed in section (2), below.

Addendum: The only exception I can see where he's get away with it is if he's camping on land under the control (owned or rented) of parent/legal guardian/grandparent, and who has the permission of the parent/legal guardian to carry while on that land.

Here's the long answer, from the Colorado Revised Statutes:

18-12-101(1)(a)"Adult" means any person eighteen years of age or older

18-12-101(1)(e.7) "Juvenile" means any person under the age of eighteen years

18-12-108.5. Possession of handguns by juveniles - prohibited - exceptions - penalty.

(1) (a) Except as provided in this section, it is unlawful for any person who has not attained the age of eighteen years knowingly to have any handgun in such person's possession

(b) Any person possessing any handgun in violation of paragraph (a) of this subsection (1) commits the offense of illegal possession of a handgun by a juvenile.

(c) (I) Illegal possession of a handgun by a juvenile is a class 2 misdemeanor.

(II) For any second or subsequent offense, illegal possession of a handgun by a juvenile is a class 5 felony.

(d) Any person under the age of eighteen years who is taken into custody by a law enforcement officer for an offense pursuant to this section shall be taken into temporary custody in the manner described in section 19-2-508, C.R.S..

(2) This section shall not apply to:

(a) Any person under the age of eighteen years who is:

(I) In attendance at a hunter's safety course or a firearms safety course; or

(II) Engaging in practice in the use of a firearm or target shooting at an established range authorized by the governing body of the jurisdiction in which such range is located or any other area where the discharge of a firearm is not prohibited; or

(III) Engaging in an organized competition involving the use of a firearm or participating in or practicing for a performance by an organized group under 501 (c) (3) as determined by the federal internal revenue service which uses firearms as a part of such performance; or

(IV) Hunting or trapping pursuant to a valid license issued to such person pursuant to article 4 of title 33, C.R.S.; or

(V) Traveling with any handgun in such person's possession being unloaded to or from any activity described in subparagraph (I), (II), (III), or (IV) of this paragraph (a);

(b) Any person under the age of eighteen years who is on real property under the control of such person's parent, legal guardian, or grandparent and who has the permission of such person's parent or legal guardian to possess a handgun;

(c) Any person under the age of eighteen years who is at such person's residence and who, with the permission of such person's parent or legal guardian, possesses a handgun for the purpose of exercising the rights contained in section 18-1-704 or section 18-1-704.5

since9

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Sorry about the spaces - when I copied some of the paragraphs from the CRS, some formatting was copied over, an the text editor here on this board doesn't allow you to delete that formatting.

Is there a way to switch the editor from HTML mode to text-only mode as exists with most other message forum software?

Kingfish

imported post

since9 wrote:
Sorry about the spaces - when I copied some of the paragraphs from the CRS, some formatting was copied over, an the text editor here on this board doesn't allow you to delete that formatting.

Is there a way to switch the editor from HTML mode to text-only mode as exists with most other message forum software?
Just open up Notepad on your computer, copy into that, reformat then copy into here.

CO-Joe

imported post

since9 wrote:

I believe the code tag button s should accomplish that they look like:
Code:
{}

ZackL

imported post

Since9, thanks for the info. I found that, I was just hoping there was something that I had missed that would allow him to carry when we camp. I guess he'll just have to stay with me or his buddy (over 18) while we're up there.

ZackL

imported post

I was thinking about that as well. I would feel better if he could at least tote around the 12ga. loaded up with some slugs. I'm not sure how that would go over with the Department of Wildlife, but it's worth looking into a little bit. Anyone know where to find long gun laws? I don't mind doing the work to find it, I just have no clue where to start.

since9

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I spent the weekend camping in Rocky Mountain National Park, and was pleased to see a single, simple 8-1/2" x 11" sheet of paper posted on the ranger's station at the campground (and I assume similarly posted throughout the park) the notice about the change in federal law with respect to the carry of firearms within the park.

The only hint of warning in the notice is that the change in law will not become effective until March 1, 2010, and until that time, firearms remain a prohibited item.

Of course it was April 17, 2010 when I was reading this, so I OC'd while around the campfire. :)