• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Got followed by "security"

bcp

imported post

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20071214035217AAC3U9e

"sudo" is a command commonly found in unix-like operating systems. It allows a normal user (without elevated rights on the system) to execute privileged commands. For example "sudo make install" execute the "make install" with administrator rights, so to say, so that a program install may take place.

"sudo make me a sandwich" comes from the *excellent* xkcd site (http://xkcd.com/149/). One character asks the other to make him a sandwich, a request ignored at first. The character then asks again, but using the "sudo" command to get elevated privileges in asking for a sandwich, which seems to work.

swatspyder

imported post

sudden valley gunner wrote:
Ajetpilot wrote:
I still don't get it either, 1245A Defender. It must be a generational thing.
If it is I didn't get it etheir.
It's called Linux. Step out of the 21st Century, guys... :uhoh: lol (Move into the future!)

#For the ones who don't want to read much.
President of the USA = ROOT
Average Citizen = Normal User

Super User Do (SUDO) = ROOT user, for a single command.

Super User (SU) = ROOT user, until you exit the terminal or drop your rights to a normal user level.

Ubuntu, Fedora, openSUSE, etc... are all distributions or "flavors" of Linux.

These are all open source, meaning that you can view the programmer's code, which is compiled to create the program that you run. You can edit the code, fix bugs, or build your own program using parts of the code.

Tomas

imported post

(Yeah, not a "generational" thing at all - Been using "sudo" or similar on UNIX systems since I was at Bell Labs in the '80s - put my first UNIX based server on-line as an email and usenet node in 1984. Linux is the late comer to the party, the 'new kid on the block.') ;)