• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Was Gun Rally Important for Cuccinelli?

buster81

imported post

http://www2.newsadvance.com/lna/news/opinion/editorials/article/was_gun_rally_important_for_cuccinelli/26108/

Was Gun Rally Important for Cuccinelli?

The News & Advance
Published: April 15, 2010

One would think that with all the duties assigned to the attorney general of Virginia, he would find little time to speak to a small rally of gun-rights supporters in Richmond.

But there he was. Ken Cuccinelli took the time away from his job as the state’s top legal officer to speak to a gathering at the Bell Tower in Capitol Square. Many of those attending openly carried firearms holstered on their hips. They wore fluorescent-orange stickers proclaiming “Guns Save Lives.”

The event was held to drum up support for a national “Second Amendment March” in Washington next week. As Media General News Service reported, a few gun-control activists stood silently observing the proceedings.

Cuccinelli talked about his love for the Constitution and said that Virginians have “been very good about protecting” constitutional rights, such as the right to bear arms. But, he said, “every year is a battle.”

One of those “battles” came during the General Assembly this year when the gun supporters finally pushed a measure through that would allow folks with concealed weapons to take those weapons into bars. Opponents argued correctly that the mix of guns and alcohol is a deadly one, but Gov. Bob McDonnell has said he will sign the legislation.

Cuccinelli also made reference to his earlier efforts to “defend the Constitution” by filing lawsuits against the federal government challenging global-warming research and legislation that provides health care for millions of Americans who would not otherwise receive it.

Among those at the rally was Philip Van Cleave of the Virginia Citizens Defense League who criticized “anti-Constitution, anti-freedom, anti-gun” Senate Democrats in the Assembly for killing a number of pro-gun bills in a special subcommittee.

So anyone who is opposed to the free flow of guns throughout society is opposed to freedom and the Constitution? Van Cleave probably knows better than that, but it makes for good rhetoric at a gun-rights rally. He added that he wanted to tell the Assembly that Second Amendment rights are non-negotiable.

Which is fine. He certainly has the right to speak his position. And he has the right to carry a pistol, if he wants. And he has the right to gather at a public rally at the Capitol.

But that doesn’t explain why Cuccinelli would take the time to lend his support to such a rally. Wasn’t his appearance political pandering at its worst to the rabid gun crowd — pandering that helped create the perception that the government is out to get them and their guns?

Of course it was. Are gun rights all that important to the attorney general? Would he like to see guns strapped on every hip in Virginia? That’s the clear impression he left with those who read and heard about his appearance at the gun rally.

One would hope that Cuccinelli picks his battles a little more carefully in his months to come as Virginia’s attorney general.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Ken Cuccenelli really does get it and he is committed to it.

My rights are NON-Negotiable.

My vote is NON-Negotiable

My freedom is NON-Negotiable.

Yata hey

Dutch Uncle

Campaign Veteran
imported post

The "rabid gun crowd"??? Gee, I'm surely a charter member of the "gun crowd" if I get his gist, but I'm pretty laid back these days, and hardly "rabid". For that matter, my "gun" type friends aren't particularly rabid either. The leftists sure have really feverish (or should I say rabid) imaginations about us folks. It must be tough to exaggerate like that most of the time. I prefer to direct my energy to more useful pursuits, but they are certainly free to stoke their wild fantasies. Anymore, I think most readers aren't terribly impressed with the leftist slant on gun owners. Many of them have recently applied for CCW's

useful_idiot

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Would someone be so kind as to login and eitherprovide an eloquent and politeanswer to Clare378's etiquette question or direct her to somewhere she might find an answer.

:cool:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

useful_idiot wrote:
Would someone be so kind as to login and eitherprovide an eloquent and politeanswer to Clare378's etiquette question or direct her to somewhere she might find an answer.

:cool:
Haven't you noticed that the warmer weather and pollen aggravates the troll's sensitivities?

Just like here, ignore them and most will shrivel up and blow away. :p

Yata hey

VApatriot

imported post

When did they run the article asking how the (former)governor had time to run thecommonwealth and chair the DNC?Where is the article asking how the President of the United States has the time to be throwing out pitches at baseball games and taking trips to New York and L.A. to appear on late-night tv shows?

I'm sure Ken did this entirelyon his own time. After all, it's not like preparing andgiving a short speech took up his entire workday or work week. He didn't even leave Richmond for this.

I know it's a lot to ask, butthe News & Advance should take the time to report on something news-worthy.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

VApatriot wrote:
I know it's a lot to ask, butthe News & Advance should take the time to report on something news-worthy.
Do they actually have any "reporters" on their staff? :?

You know - those are the now out of style people that go out and dig out the truth of a story. :p

Yata hey

Repeater

imported post

Ken gets attacked a lot, because he stands for FREEDOM!

Olbermann: Virginia's GOP AG Should Stop Breathing Until 2014

On Tuesday’s Countdown show, MSNBC host Keith Olbermann used his regular "Worst Person" segment to attack Virginia’s Republican Attorney General, Ken Cuccinelli, for planning to take part in a lawsuit against the Environmental Protection Agency on the issue of climate change. Responding to a joke Cuccinelli made about holding one’s breath to make environmentalists happy, Olbermann mocked the Republican attorney general in what could arguably be a suggestion that he should die, as the MSNBC host recommended that Cuccinelli should stop breathing until 2014. Olbermann: "Good idea, Mr. Cuccinelli. we`ll let you know when you should stop holding your breath. I would think sometime in 2014."

Below is a transcript of the relevant portion of the Tuesday, April 13, Countdown show on MSNBC:
KEITH OLBERMANN: The runner-up, Virginia Attorney Ken Cuccinelli, rapidly ascending to Michele Bachmann levels of the crazy. He`s already spoken to a Tea Party or more than one. Next he`s going to hang out with a faith healer. Now he`s making Virginia embarrass itself again, joining a climate change denial lawsuit against the Environmental Protection Agency. Mr. Cuccinelli mocked the idea that too much CO2 could possibly affect the environment, and mocked the professionals at the EPA.

Quote, "Now, let`s make them all happy just for a moment and everybody just hold your breath."

Good idea, Mr. Cuccinelli. we`ll let you know when you should stop holding your breath. I would think sometime in 2014.

richarcm

imported post

Repeater wrote:
Ken gets attacked a lot, because he stands for FREEDOM!

Olbermann: Virginia's GOP AG Should Stop Breathing Until 2014

On Tuesday’s Countdown show, MSNBC host Keith Olbermann used his regular "Worst Person" segment to attack Virginia’s Republican Attorney General, Ken Cuccinelli, for planning to take part in a lawsuit against the Environmental Protection Agency on the issue of climate change. Responding to a joke Cuccinelli made about holding one’s breath to make environmentalists happy, Olbermann mocked the Republican attorney general in what could arguably be a suggestion that he should die, as the MSNBC host recommended that Cuccinelli should stop breathing until 2014. Olbermann: "Good idea, Mr. Cuccinelli. we`ll let you know when you should stop holding your breath. I would think sometime in 2014."

Below is a transcript of the relevant portion of the Tuesday, April 13, Countdown show on MSNBC:
KEITH OLBERMANN: The runner-up, Virginia Attorney Ken Cuccinelli, rapidly ascending to Michele Bachmann levels of the crazy. He`s already spoken to a Tea Party or more than one. Next he`s going to hang out with a faith healer. Now he`s making Virginia embarrass itself again, joining a climate change denial lawsuit against the Environmental Protection Agency. Mr. Cuccinelli mocked the idea that too much CO2 could possibly affect the environment, and mocked the professionals at the EPA.

Quote, "Now, let`s make them all happy just for a moment and everybody just hold your breath."

Good idea, Mr. Cuccinelli. we`ll let you know when you should stop holding your breath. I would think sometime in 2014.
These shows are just becoming so vile, hateful and disgusting.

SAvage410

imported post

Odd. I was at that rally. Stood next to Grapeshot for a bit as well. Didn't notice anyone at all who exhibited any signs of being rabid. No frothing at the mouth, flying spittle, etc.

As I crossed the grounds at the end of the rally a state trooper was going off-duty and struck up a conversation with me about the model Glock I was carrying. Neither he nor any of the other police I'd conversed with during the day expressed any concerns about me or any of the others at the rally who also open carried. You'd think if we were that threatening (to the non-bed-wetters, that is), the cops would have taken steps to clear the grounds...

richarcm

imported post

SAvage410 wrote:
Odd. I was at that rally. Stood next to Grapeshot for a bit as well. Didn't notice anyone at all who exhibited any signs of being rabid. No frothing at the mouth, flying spittle, etc.

As I crossed the grounds at the end of the rally a state trooper was going off-duty and struck up a conversation with me about the model Glock I was carrying. Neither he nor any of the other police I'd conversed with during the day expressed any concerns about me or any of the others at the rally who also open carried. You'd think if we were that threatening (to the non-bed-wetters, that is), the cops would have taken steps to clear the grounds...
Thank you for having attended. I spoke with a Capitol Police Officer on a bike afterwards and he said that he supports our cause. I spoke with the Richmond City Sargent prior to the event and he suggested that MOST cops support our cause. Unfortunately they can often be more loyal to their orders from above than to what is right or legal.

And of course there was nothing wrong going on at the event. These gun rights events and TEA Parties are a law enforcement dream. They NEVER have to do a darn thing and get to just enjoy the speakers.