• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Virginian Pilot Is At It, Again

USNA69

imported post

An embarrassment to the Second Amendment
Daryl Lease is an editorial writer for The Virginian-Pilot. E-mail him at daryl.lease@pilotonline.com. SHERIFF Andy Taylor, call your office, please.

The good constable of Mayberry has come to mind several times in recent days amid reports of an army of Barney Fifes on the move.

At least I hope they’re as wellintentioned as Barn. I wish we had someone of Sheriff Taylor’s caliber around to counsel the more ballistic-minded among them to keep their bullets tucked in their shirt pockets for safety’s sake.

Early this week, a group of 100 or so gun-rights advocates gathered in Capitol Square in Richmond to celebrate legislative victories that broaden their abilities to carry guns during more of their daily travels.

Virginia’s premier Fife, Attorney General Kenneth Cuccinelli, was there to praise the crowd as “people, who, as I do, love the Constitution.” He reminded folks just how hard he’s working to protect us against folks who presumably don’t love the Constitution nearly as much, i.e., President Barack Obama and Congress.

Cuccinelli’s references to the federal government’s meddling with state’s rights — over health care legislation and fuel efficiency standards, in his mind — are echoing around the country, often in unsettling ways.

In Oklahoma, for example, tea party leaders have been talking to legislators about creating a state-approved volunteer militia, according to The Associated Press.

Why? To protect citizens against the federal government, of course.

Some lawmakers are receptive to the idea. State Sen. Randy Brogdon, a Republican candidate for governor in Oklahoma, told the AP that he thinks such a militia would be okey-dokey under the Second Amendment.

The nation’s founders, he explained, “were not referring to a turkey shoot or a quail hunt. ... The Second Amendment deals directly with the right of an individual to keep and bear arms to protect themselves from an overreaching federal government.”

Ah. Thanks so much for the clarification.

“It’s not a far-right crazy plan or anything like that,” J.W. Berry, one of the tea party leaders behind the effort, told the AP. “This would be done with the full cooperation of the state legislature.”

And Berry, apparently, is just the sort of fellow that James Madison and the boys had in mind with the Second Amendment. At his Web site, OKforTea.com, Berry refers to Obama as “the Reincarnation of Pol Pot,” among other things.

I fail to grasp the comparison , but Berry is free to say what he wishes.

I’m not at all comfortable, however, with the thought of any state in our nation arming a bumbling, malicious crew of twisted Fifes and setting them up to stage “citizen’s arrests” against federal employees.

Neither, thankfully, is Gary Jones, the head of the Republican Party in Oklahoma. As the militia blather spread this week, he stepped forward in Sheriff Taylor fashion and started talking sense.

Jones said the state’s GOP doesn’t support the idea. No way, no how.

“I’m very pro-Second Amendment,” he told Politico.com. “But when you start talking about this, it turns people off.”

Joseph Thai, a constitutional law professor at the University of Oklahoma, was more blunt. “Have they heard of the Oklahoma City bombing?” he asked the AP.

The bombing of the Alfred P. Murrah Federal Building, you’ll recall, was carried out by Timothy McVeigh and other militia wannabes who felt they were protecting the nation from an overreaching federal government.

Monday, as it happens, is the 15th anniversary of the attack that killed 168 people and wounded hundreds. It’s also the day chosen by gunrights advocates to stage a “Second Amendment March” on Washington, D.C.

Organizers say they picked April 19 for the event because it’s the 235th anniversary of the battles of Lexington and Concord, the first armed conflicts in the Revolutionary War. They bristle at any suggestion that another date might be more appropriate, given the events of 1995.

So they’ll arm themselves, march and speechify — all protected under the Constitution. And, let’s hope, they’ll keep their bullets in their shirt pockets — in acknowledgment of the unstable constitution of some of their compatriots

USNA69

imported post

I submittedthis Letter to the Editor in response, but it might be ignored, as Ihad another letterpublished recently.

LETTER TO THE EDITOR

Re: Daryl Lease: An embarrassment to the Second Amendment (Norfolk Virginian-Pilot, 15 April)

It is one thing when a reader submits a Letter to the Editor comparing conservatives to characters from Alice in Wonderland. Readers, after all, are entitled to their opinions. It is quite another when a member of your editorial staff engages in the same Alinsky defamation tactic, i.e. comparing pro-Second Amendment citizens to the bumbling Deputy Barney Fife.

If Mr. Lease knows any gun owners, then he must know that they are obsessive about gun safety and the awesome responsibility of carrying a weapon. He would know that they constantly rehearse in their minds the situations in which they might need to use their weapon, and those are limited to immediate danger to their or their family’s lives.

Mr. Lease ends his commentary by stating that “… they’ll arm themselves, march, and speechify …”, referring to the Second Amendment March taking place in Washington D.C. on April 19[suP]th[/suP]. Before commenting on gun issues, Mr. Lease should do his homework. His statement is factually incorrect. March organizers and the March website have been explicit in their warnings to attendees that weapons are not permitted in D.C. and that marchers must arrive unarmed.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

Psalm 2
Why do the heathen rage, and the people imagine a vain thing? 2The kings of the earth set themselves, and the rulers take counsel together, against the LORD, and against his anointed, saying,

Let us break their bands asunder, and cast away their cords from us.

He that sitteth in the heavens shall laugh: the LORD shall have them in derision.

Peter Nap Translation:

Daryl Lease is an idiot!

Thundar

imported post

Wow!!!

The Virginia Pravda is at it again.

Fortunately we already have a fully constituted unorganized Militia in Virginia, and it has worked well so far.

wylde007

imported post

Thundar wrote:
Fortunately we already have a fully constituted unorganized Militia in Virginia, and it has worked well so far.
It was last called to service in 1861 and the consequences of that action were less than satisfactory, I should say.:cry:

ChinChin

imported post

Virginian who?

What is that, a high school paper? I've heard of the post, the times, US Today, but the Virginian pilot. . .they don't ring a bell nor are they popular enough to warrant notice nor attention.

TFred

imported post

ChinChin wrote:
Virginian who?

What is that, a high school paper? I've heard of the post, the times, US Today, but the Virginian pilot. . .they don't ring a bell nor are they popular enough to warrant notice nor attention.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Virginian-Pilot

As of 2009 at least, it's the largest newspaper in Virginia, running about 12,000 copies (daily) ahead of the Richmond Times-Dispatch.

http://www.burrellesluce.com/system/files/Top100Sheet6.24.09.pdf

TFred

USNA69

imported post

ChinChin wrote:
Virginian who?

THIS Virginian-Pilot:

http://hamptonroads.com/2009/03/virginianpilot-named-states-best-daily-annual-contest

Excerpt:

The Virginian-Pilot has been named the best daily newspaper in its class in Virginia by the Virginia Press Association for a record 24th time in the award's 30-year history.

ChinChin

imported post

USNA69 wrote:
ChinChin wrote:
Virginian who?

THIS Virginian-Pilot:

http://hamptonroads.com/2009/03/virginianpilot-named-states-best-daily-annual-contest

Excerpt:

The Virginian-Pilot has been named the best daily newspaper in its class in Virginia by the Virginia Press Association for a record 24th time in the award's 30-year history.
The "Virginia Press association". . . wow, such a famous association that I only now heard of them. You can't hear it, but there are crickets chirping over that rousing revelation. I stand by my previous statement. Not prestigious enough to warrant attention nor notice.

Not USA today, or Washington Post, or Washington Times. . . .those I've heard of. The Virginia whoesit. . . . .sorry, but the eagle doesn't hunt flies.

TFred

imported post

ChinChin wrote:
The "Virginia Press association". . . wow, such a famous association that I only now heard of them. You can't hear it, but there are crickets chirping over that rousing revelation. I stand by my previous statement. Not prestigious enough to warrant attention nor notice.

Not USA today, or Washington Post, or Washington Times. . . .those I've heard of. The Virginia whoesit. . . . .sorry, but the eagle doesn't hunt flies.
Actually, the VPA is very well known to me and to the VCDL lobby folks. They are the ones who fight like heck every year (and so far successfully, although this year's "death committee" was in a league of its own, and doesn't even qualify as a fight) to kill our efforts to protect the personal information on CHP applications. Their attempts to preserve newspaper nosybodies' access to CHP info puts real people's lives in real danger. I don't know how they sleep at night.*

As stated before, the Virginian-Pilot is the largest newspaper in Virginia. The others are at least regional, if not national level publications. We don't have to like them, but they are what they are. As long as they write their drivel, we must continue to (re)educate the masses who read it.

TFred

* I suppose many of you have seen Oleg Volk's photo works on various RKBA causes... I don't know him, but it would be really cool for him to do some shots that illustrate the fear that having CHP info in the public domain can impose on a domestic abuse victim, who must choose between staying hidden from their abuser, or being able to legally conceal their protective handgun.

T Dubya

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I stopped reading after the first couple of paragraphs, It's the same old recycled anti rhetoric. I doubt it reaches a neutral audience. The writer was writing for the cooks,

USNA69

imported post

And now, the V-P has published the first reply. I bet you could havepredicted the response yourself, as it is so typical of anti-2A people:

Guns in the wrong hands
Re 'No Guns in D.C.,' letters, April 16: It is admirable that the writer is 'obsessive about gun safety and the awesome responsibility of carrying a weapon' and that he 'constantly rehearses in his mind the situation in which he might need to use that weapon,' and that it would occur only in the event that his or his family's life was in danger.

However, a brief overview of the statistics regarding accidental gun deaths and injuries, and crimes committed with guns stolen from irresponsible owners, should be enough to convince everyone that not all gun owners are as obsessive about safety as he is.

Barbara Williams
Virginia Beach