• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

First Post

Rush2112

imported post

As I'm sure many people have recently done, I decided to join this site due to all the (mostly negative) press attention it's been getting lately. I've lived in NH all my life and I love my home state dearly. I'm particularly glad the Shaheen magazine restriction period ended and was not renewed a few years back. That was before I could carry, though. I also love that NH is one of very few states (3, I believe) that issues a CCP at the age of 18. I used to live in "Trashua" so this was a big relief to me. Most people in that city say they avoid the bad areas and that's why they don't need a gun. I, on the other hand, say I go wherever the hell I want without fear BECAUSE I have a gun. One of these friends was mugged shortly after I moved to the Lakes Region, and he was in a supposedly "safe" part of town.

Anyway, to cut to the chase, I've signed up to do what I can to make myself a better shooter, carrier (open and concealed) and also do what I can to support and promote pro-gun mentality in this great state. I carry concealed virtually everywhere I go except school (Tragically, illegal to do so. I've thought about trying to start a Students for Concealed Carry on Campus chapter there, but I doubt I'd get support and I also doubt it would work as it is a state-run campus) and work (my boss disapproves of guns, though no company policy prohibits carrying them.)

In light of my boss recently being robbed at gunpoint (along with another co-worker) after hours in the parking lot, and a story I heard of an armed robbery taking place inside before I worked there, I am currently in the market for a tuckable IWB holster for my P6. My current CC holster would probably show enough for someone to notice. What the boss doesn't know can't hurt him, and if he does find out, it won't matter either because company policy does not prohibit it. In fact, I know employees at other locations of the same business who carry every day.

I'd also like to take some courses in basic pistol and self defense shooting. I never learned in a formal way, just what I learned as a kid from my dad and what I've read while surfing various gun sites. If my fellow New Hampshire-ites could point me in a direction of an affordable, competent instructor in central NH I would be most appreciative.

Lastly, I want to participate in any pro-gun or pro-open carry demonstrations like the one I read about in the Union Leader (the only remotely conservative newspaper we have) where people picked up trash on the side of busy Concord streets. I think I read that last summer.

Anyway, forgive the rambling. Let the comments (both negative and positive, I'm a big boy) commence!

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Welcome to the forum Rush - nicely balanced and informative introduction.

Suggest that you edit your profile to include your location as that will help with some of your questions.

Lots of good people and support here - a few not so much, but you'll be able to discern the difference easily enough.

Someone else will have to chime in with a recommendation for a local instructor as I am a little too distant.

Good luck, hope you stay and benefit.

Yata hey

doobie

imported post

Welcome to the forum! Hope to see you at one of our open carry events in the future! I'm busy so haven't had time to organize any. But will be there with guns and cameras on any Sunday in the near future for an OC event.

NewHampshireNative

imported post

Rush2112 wrote:
As I'm sure many people have recently done, I decided to join this site due to all the (mostly negative) press attention it's been getting lately. I've lived in NH all my life and I love my home state dearly. I'm particularly glad the Shaheen magazine restriction period ended and was not renewed a few years back. That was before I could carry, though. I also love that NH is one of very few states (3, I believe) that issues a CCP at the age of 18. I used to live in "Trashua" so this was a big relief to me. Most people in that city say they avoid the bad areas and that's why they don't need a gun. I, on the other hand, say I go wherever the hell I want without fear BECAUSE I have a gun. One of these friends was mugged shortly after I moved to the Lakes Region, and he was in a supposedly "safe" part of town.

Anyway, to cut to the chase, I've signed up to do what I can to make myself a better shooter, carrier (open and concealed) and also do what I can to support and promote pro-gun mentality in this great state. I carry concealed virtually everywhere I go except school (Tragically, illegal to do so. I've thought about trying to start a Students for Concealed Carry on Campus chapter there, but I doubt I'd get support and I also doubt it would work as it is a state-run campus) and work (my boss disapproves of guns, though no company policy prohibits carrying them.)

In light of my boss recently being robbed at gunpoint (along with another co-worker) after hours in the parking lot, and a story I heard of an armed robbery taking place inside before I worked there, I am currently in the market for a tuckable IWB holster for my P6. My current CC holster would probably show enough for someone to notice. What the boss doesn't know can't hurt him, and if he does find out, it won't matter either because company policy does not prohibit it. In fact, I know employees at other locations of the same business who carry every day.

I'd also like to take some courses in basic pistol and self defense shooting. I never learned in a formal way, just what I learned as a kid from my dad and what I've read while surfing various gun sites. If my fellow New Hampshire-ites could point me in a direction of an affordable, competent instructor in central NH I would be most appreciative.

Lastly, I want to participate in any pro-gun or pro-open carry demonstrations like the one I read about in the Union Leader (the only remotely conservative newspaper we have) where people picked up trash on the side of busy Concord streets. I think I read that last summer.

Anyway, forgive the rambling. Let the comments (both negative and positive, I'm a big boy) commence!
Your Best bet would be to take some NRA classes they are great to teach the basics again (I'M sure you don't need to relearn the basics) but to be able to take the more advanced classes you need to have taken the basic pistol class or some other gun training class. They do have a program called first steps and it's for people who know more about handguns and it's shorter and skips a lot of the dull stuff. When you pass that they allow you to go on to protection inside the home and outside the home ( BOTH GREAT CLASSES). Depending on the person teaching the class they are cheap. Some people jack the price up ( have seen it around 300). Around me the classes are 75 to 150 so they are not to bad as far as price goes. You can also go to the Belmont indoor gun range ( Belmont firearms) they teach a class ( 1on1 ) for 300 dollars and it covers just about everything you will need to know after passing it they give you all the paper work you will need to apply for a MA CCW. Another great place ( BUT OVER PRICED) is the SigArms academy great staff and great training if you have the money to spend.

mrhazmat

imported post

Hello everyone,

I too have just found out about this forum and like many feel strongly about our 2nd Admendment rights. Thank goodness I now live in NH.

I found out (to late) about the OC event in Nashua which would probably would have been to far to go anyway but if anyone organizes an event closer please count me in.

I will be applying for my CCW from the fine city of Claremont this week which should certainly help with the logistics of getting in and out of a vehicle at various destinations in a legal fashion.

NH native if you have any guidance or insight into the CCW application process please let me know.

Thanks,

Doug

Rush2112

imported post

mrhaz
NH native if you have any guidance or insight into the CCW application process please let me know.
1. Go to local LE (sheriff's office, PD) and obtain an application
2. Fill out and hand in application with $10 payment
3. Wait
4. ???
5. PROFIT!

After a MAXIMUM of two weeks, they are required by law to tell you yes or no. NH is a shall-issue state, so you should have no problem getting one if you don't have any felonies etc.

ETA: Under where they ask for a reason for the permit I wrote "All lawful purposes" which, for me at least, was a polite way of saying "whatever the hell I want, it's none of your damn business" but in a much more legal way.

NewHampshireNative

imported post

Rush2112 wrote:
mrhaz
1. Go to local LE (sheriff's office, PD) and obtain an application
2. Fill out and hand in application with $10 payment
3. Wait
4. ???
5. PROFIT!

After a MAXIMUM of two weeks, they are required by law to tell you yes or no. NH is a shall-issue state, so you should have no problem getting one if you don't have any felonies etc.

ETA: Under where they ask for a reason for the permit I wrote "All lawful purposes" which, for me at least, was a polite way of saying "whatever the hell I want, it's none of your damn business" but in a much more legal way.
That may be the way you do it in your part of the state but in our town they do not take your money till your permit comes back approved. You just drop off the application then come back with ten dollars cash or a check made to the order of the city. As for what to put in the " reason for wanting permit" I just put self protection because that's all you really need the permit for. Thank god we do not have gun laws such as PRMA still cant get over the fact you need to apply for a CCW to drive from your house to a local gun range with your guns to go shooting.

mrhazmat

imported post

Thanks to all, you have made a newbie feel at home.

I appreciate the thoughts on what to put down for your reason for your license as I was not sure what reasons were acceptable, but it sounds as it is a non issue in NH.

Regards,

Doug

Rush2112

imported post

Hazmat: It's been a couple years, but I think that's how I did it when I lived in Nashua.

NHNative: NH is a shall-issue state, which is a good thing. A lot of states had (and still have) on the books that the issuer of the permits "may issue" a permit to anyone who qualifies, leaving it up to the discretion of the issuer. Many states have now adopted "shall issue" meaning that anyone qualified has to have one issued to them.

KBCraig

imported post

To answer the "reason" part of the form, I suggest putting down: "New Hampshire Constitution, as amended, Part the First, Article 2-a".

And that is all.

Oh, if you don't already know, that section reads, "All persons have the right to keep and bear arms in defense of themselves, their families, their property and the state."

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

KBCraig wrote:
To answer the "reason" part of the form, I suggest putting down: "New Hampshire Constitution, as amended, Part the First, Article 2-a".

And that is all.

Oh, if you don't already know, that section reads, "All persons have the right to keep and bear arms in defense of themselves, their families, their property and the state."
Point well made.

So it should always be throughout all of the states re 2A.

Yata hey

Eeyore

imported post

Rush2112 wrote:
.....Anyway, to cut to the chase, I've signed up to do what I can to make myself a better shooter, carrier (open and concealed) and also do what I can to support and promote pro-gun mentality in this great state......
You chose a very fitting username for resisting the powers-that-be and "conventional wisdom"! :dude:

Yes, we know, it's nothing new
It's just a waste of time
We have no need for ancient ways
The world is doing fine
Another toy will help destroy
The elder race of man
Forget about your silly whim
It doesn't fit the plan