• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Any thoughts of local presidents or group presidents for different cities?

oifoefvet

imported post

I would love to have a local rep for this site, that helps set up meetings, events and such for all of our local areas. I have been OCing here in the long beach area of southern california for over three weeks now, and have no plans to stop. I would love to have more events and or meetings. I would welcome meetings or meets every weekend. But on the topic of local presidents, someone that the local members can go to for answers and questions. What do you think?

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

oifoefvet wrote:
I would love to have a local rep for this site, that helps set up meetings, events and such for all of our local areas. I have been OCing here in the long beach area of southern california for over three weeks now, and have no plans to stop. I would love to have more events and or meetings. I would welcome meetings or meets every weekend. But on the topic of local presidents, someone that the local members can go to for answers and questions. What do you think?
Here in Virginia, where the OC movement is strong, we've found no need for such.

Meet-up? Someone posts a time and location, and others show up (there have been instances of no one else showing, but that usually results from only a day or so notice).

Meetings? For what purpose? Now, we've done picnics and such, and some are talking about baseball games and the like, but nothing like a "meeting" where people come and listen, or take turns talking about a focused thing.

So you might find ideas that work, but we don't seem to have seen the need for it yet.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Tess wrote:
oifoefvet wrote:
Here in Virginia, where the OC movement is strong, we've found no need for such.

Meet-up? Someone posts a time and location, and others show up (there have been instances of no one else showing, but that usually results from only a day or so notice).

Meetings? For what purpose? Now, we've done picnics and such, and some are talking about baseball games and the like, but nothing like a "meeting" where people come and listen, or take turns talking about a focused thing.

So you might find ideas that work, but we don't seem to have seen the need for it yet.
Tess -

The case here in Virginia might be because of VCDL and the way in which it involves the base membership rather than everything being done by Select Committees or appointed czars, as well as the fact that those in/on OCDO also know each other through VCDL activities.

That may not yet be the case in California. They do need a few good community organizers, but they need to come from within as opposed to being imposed from the outside.

Yes, +infinity to the notion of "If you post it they will come." Plus another infinity to the notion that if you do it over and over again they will come to expect it.

stay safe.

skidmark