• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Milwaukee Police Chief Ed Flynn

Tekman

imported post

Rush to carry guns in open is not likely

http://www.jsonline.com/news/statepolitics/43347632.html

Milwaukee Police Chief Ed Flynn said he'll continue to tell officers they can't assume people are carrying guns legally in a city that has seen nearly 200 homicides in the past two years. "My message to my troops is if you see anybody carrying a gun on the streets of Milwaukee, we'll put them on the ground, take the gun away and then decide whether you have a right to carry it," Flynn said. "Maybe I'll end up with a protest of cowboys. In the meantime, I've got serious offenders with access to handguns. It's irresponsible to send a message to them that if they just carry it openly no one can bother them."
Please tell me you all did something about this jackass

revolverrandy

imported post

Whats with his treat everyone as if they are guilty and verify if they really are later attitude?he should be pulling everyone he sees driving a car over and give them a breathalizer and book them too.Later if they are not really drunk,then they can go again. He's stereotyping people and labeling them just by their appearance.

Wisconsin Carry Inc. - Chairman

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
imported post

Tekman wrote:
Rush to carry guns in open is not likely

http://www.jsonline.com/news/statepolitics/43347632.html

Milwaukee Police Chief Ed Flynn said he'll continue to tell officers they can't assume people are carrying guns legally in a city that has seen nearly 200 homicides in the past two years. "My message to my troops is if you see anybody carrying a gun on the streets of Milwaukee, we'll put them on the ground, take the gun away and then decide whether you have a right to carry it," Flynn said. "Maybe I'll end up with a protest of cowboys. In the meantime, I've got serious offenders with access to handguns. It's irresponsible to send a message to them that if they just carry it openly no one can bother them."
Please tell me you all did something about this jackass

We immediately did an open records request of any training memo's/emails sent to his "troops".

As expected the training memo was much more flaccid.

http://media.journalinteractive.com/documents/bulletin.pdf

bigdaddy1

imported post

It is my belief that Chief Flynn made that emotional statement just after 2 police officers were shot. I think that once he settled down a bit (that and the threat of mass law suits) has since let this issue settle somewhat. I think that even most police understand that criminals dont openly carry weapons. The 2 officers that were shot were done so by a criminal carrying a concealed weapon.

across Death's Door on Washington Island, Wisconsi
imported post

Wisconsin Carry, Inc. - Chairman wrote:

From the memo, "If citizens are calling and are disturbed by someone carrying a firearm, probable cause may exist to make an arrest for disorderly conduct or order-in of the subject."

What does "order-in of the subject" mean.

How should that sentence, with the "or", be read, "...to make an arrest for disorderly conduct or make an arrest for order-in..." or ... what? Order-in?

JG

imported post

Bigdaddy: If he cant keep a cool head under stress then he shouldnt be in this position. In my opinion he does his best work when dealing with Badge Ho's.

Lurchiron

imported post

Master Doug Huffman wrote:
Wisconsin Carry, Inc. - Chairman wrote:

From the memo, "If citizens are calling and are disturbed by someone carrying a firearm, probable cause may exist to make an arrest for disorderly conduct or order-in of the subject."

What does "order-in of the subject" mean.

How should that sentence, with the "or", be read, "...to make an arrest for disorderly conduct or make an arrest for order-in..." or ... what? Order-in?

Order-in is when they tell you to meet them at the station, so they can offer you free Policeman's Ball tickets if you would only tell them what they want to hear.

Happy mid-April;

Lurch

LOERetired

imported post

MILWAUKEE POLICE DEPARTMENT

Attorney General Van Hollen continues in his memorandum to discuss the issue of whether the open carrying of a firearm gives officers the authority to make an investigative or “Terry” stop to investigate possible criminal activity, including disorderly conduct. His answer is, “An officer may stop and briefly detain a person for investigative] purposes if he has ‘reasonable suspicion’ based on articulable facts of criminal activity.” Citing Illinois v. Wardlow, 528 U.S. 119, 123 (2000); United States v. Sokolow, 490 U.S. 1, 7 (1989); Terry v. Ohio, 392 U.S. 1, 30 (1968). He adds “Even though open carry enjoys constitutional protection, it may still give rise to reasonable suspicion when considered in totality,” and “The existence of reasonable suspicion depends on the totality of the circumstances, including the information known to the officer and any reasonable inferences to be drawn at the time of the stop.”]

More clearly stated

Fourth Amendment protections under Terry v. Ohio.

Since Terry, Florida courts have articulated three levels of police/citizen contact: voluntary compliance during which the citizen is free to leave; an investigative stop based upon reasonable suspicion; and, arrest. State v. Roux, 702 So. 2d 240, 241 (Fla. 4[suP]th[/suP] DCA 1997), reh. den., and (citing Popple v. State, 626 So. 2d 185 (Fla. 1993)). To effectuate an investigative stop, an officer must have "a founded suspicion of criminal activity" as established by the "cumulative impact of the circumstances." Kehoe v. State, 521 So. 2d 1094, 1096 (Fla. 1988). "The existence of a fourth amendment violation ‘turns on an objective assessment of the officer’s actions in light of the facts and circumstances confronting him at the time’." 521 So. 2d 1096 (approving test in Scott v. U.S., 436 U.S. 128, 136 (1978)).

Information in an anonymous tip is insufficient on its own to establish reasonable suspicion for purposes of an investigative stop. J.L. v. State, 727 So. 2d 204, 206 (Fla. 1999), aff’d, 120 S. Ct. 1375 (2000). Reasonable suspicion can be established by verification of information from the informant coupled with independent police investigation. Id. Information from a tip is measured by its specificity, and the existence of other objective facts which provide independent corroboration of the informant’s predictions. Id. The officer must consider, given the totality of the circumstances, whether objective, reliable facts justify the stop. Id. (citing Alabama v. White, 496 U.S. 325 (1990)).

Walking around an establishment legally open carrying a hand gun while shopping, and having someone call the police to report a man/woman with a gun, absent any criminal behavior by the person open carrying a hand gun or reported from the caller, law enforcement have no reason to initiate an investigation into the callers report, and no reasonable suspicion to stop, detain, search, arrest or disarm the reported person with a gun.

In J.L, an anonymous caller told police that a man in a plaid shirt standing at a certain bus stop had a gun. 727 So. 2d at 208. Officers responded to the call and observed three males at the bus stop including one wearing a plaid shirt. The officers detained and frisked all three males. The trial court granted a motion to suppress and the district court held that the tip did not give the officers a reasonable suspicion sufficient to justify temporary detention. J.L. v. State, 694 So. 2d 118, 120 (Fla. 3d DCA 1997). The Florida Supreme Court held that the officers did not have reasonable suspicion to stop, detain, and frisk the three people at the bus stop because the officers did not observe any objective facts corroborating the caller’s tip. J.L. v. State, 727 So. 2d at 208. Further, all the information provided by the informant was "innocent" in nature. Id. While the officers could have engaged the three in a consensual encounter, the circumstances did not warrant active intervention into an otherwise peaceful situation. Id.
]

Don

bigdaddy1

imported post

marshaul wrote:
"Troops"?
ISTR accusations of paramilitarization as cop bashing. J'accuse!

WTF are you talking about now Doug?

The term TROOPS was taken from Flynn's own statement.

"My message to my troops is if you see anybody carrying a gun on the streets of Milwaukee, we'll put them on the ground, take the gun away and then decide whether you have a right to carry it," Flynn said. "Maybe I'll end up with a protest of cowboys. In the meantime, I've got serious offenders with access to handguns. It's irresponsible to send a message to them that if they just carry it openly no one can bother them."

imported post

bigdaddy1 wrote:
marshaul wrote:
"Troops"?
WTF are you talking about now Doug? The term TROOPS was taken from Flynn's own statement.
I am/was talkin' the EFF to marshaul! The world is bigger, evidently, than Big Daddy knows.
Either we are equal or we are not. Present company excepted of course. Good people ought to be armed where they will, with wits and guns and the truth. NRA damn the Obamanation's thugs.

bigdaddy1

imported post

bigdaddy1 wrote:
marshaul wrote:
"Troops"?
WTF are you talking about now Doug? The term TROOPS was taken from Flynn's own statement.
I am/was talkin' the EFF to marshaul! The world is bigger, evidently, than Big Daddy knows.
Either we are equal or we are not. Present company excepted of course. Good people ought to be armed where they will, with wits and guns and the truth. NRA KMA$$ damn the Obamanation's thugs.
I was more talking about what ISTR means, and a translation on the of J'accuse

Now what does marshaul (member from california) have to do with it?

imported post

bigdaddy1 wrote:
I was more talking about what ISTR means, and a translation on the of J'accuse

Now what does marshaul (member from california) have to do with it?
I am sure that marshaul knows recent history (the meaning of the neologism ISTR) and political history, in which J'accuse, written by Emile Zola, is iconic.

Does Big Daddy know what over and out means? I don't typically address a particular thread participant, now it appears to be a pointless effort when I do.

bigdaddy1

imported post

I wanted to know if ISTR was an acronym. Things would be so much easier if you would speak plain english instead of some windtalker code.

BerettaFS92Custom

imported post

bigdaddy1 wrote:
I wanted to know if ISTR was an acronym. Things would be so much easier if you would speak plain english instead of some windtalker code.

LMFAO BIGDaddy1 you are spot on, he is very intelligment and edumacated and cant speek like us. we must be decoding all the great one says !:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate

hunter9mm

imported post

bigdaddy1 wrote:

BD1 you have to remember that Doug spends about 3/4 of his life (not implying that is bad or as a slur) on forums and surfing the web. He uses acronyms for just about everything, as he talks so much in forums.

ISTR is the Abbreviation for “I Seem To Recall”

To be honest, I don't know what Doug is talking about most of the time as he loves to add in French, Latin, Spanish and god knows what other languages and clichés he knows from his 100+ years of "Life’s Experiences" but when I try to follow some of his posts, I do need to, on occasion Google his acronyms and blurbs of (dry-ass)humor.

But Yes, I do agree with you, it would be a lot easier if (Yes you Doug) would save the lingual wit and just speak English here.