• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Milwaukee Police Chief Ed Flynn

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Master Doug Huffman wrote:
marshaul wrote:
"Troops"?
ISTR accusations of paramilitarization as cop bashing.  J'accuse!
Well, I guess that makes us both cop-bashers, then.

I don't understand how they can come right out and essentially admit the truth, and yet when someone tries to criticize the fact, that someone must be blinded by paranoia and mindless sheer hatred for the "system".

For the record, I do have a mindless hatred for one aspect of the system... those damn Blue Angels.

Shotgun

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
imported post

hunter9mm wrote:
To be honest, I don't know what Doug is talking about most of the time as he loves to add in French, Latin, Spanish and god knows what other languages and clichés he knows from his 100+ years of "Life’s Experiences" but when I try to follow some of his posts, I do need to, on occasion Google his acronyms and blurbs of (dry-ass)humor.

But Yes, I do agree with you, it would be a lot easier if (Yes you Doug) would save the lingual wit and just speak English here.
Hey guys, in the world of forum discourse, foreign phrases are Sine qua non.

hunter9mm

imported post

Shotgun wrote:
hunter9mm wrote:
To be honest, I don't know what Doug is talking about most of the time as he loves to add in French, Latin, Spanish and god knows what other languages and clichés he knows from his 100+ years of "Life’s Experiences" but when I try to follow some of his posts, I do need to, on occasion Google his acronyms and blurbs of (dry-ass)humor.

But Yes, I do agree with you, it would be a lot easier if (Yes you Doug) would save the lingual wit and just speak English here.

So Shotgun, Foreign Phrases are the 10th episode of the 4th Season of BattleStar Galactia???

th_lol-045.gif

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sine_Qua_Non_(Battlestar_Galactica)

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

lol, someone needs to visit the disambiguation page. :p

But seriously, a good point has been made, albeit somewhat indirectly.

There is no better place for discourse using words and phrases which may be outside the average forum member's spoken lexicon.

Our being able to access this forum implies an equal ability to access Google. In this medium, we can take the time to articulate using the most precise language available the exact nuances of our thought... and we can take the time to decode the occasionally complex resulting phraseology!

Never pass up an opportunity to expand yourself.

I myself routinely use outside reference for assistance, and the long-term result is that I can hold my own in any discussion, and wield to my advantage language both colloquial and formal, as the situation dictates.

bigdaddy1

imported post

hunter9mm wrote:
Shotgun wrote:
hunter9mm wrote:

So Shotgun, Foreign Phrases are the 10th episode of the 4th Season of BattleStar Galactia???

th_lol-045.gif

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sine_Qua_Non_(Battlestar_Galactica)
I used to love that show when I was a kid. Was much better than Buck Rogers!

bigdaddy1

imported post

marshaul wrote:
lol, someone needs to visit the disambiguation page. :p

But seriously, a good point has been made, albeit somewhat indirectly.

There is no better place for discourse using words and phrases which may be outside the average forum member's spoken lexicon.

Our being able to access this forum implies an equal ability to access Google. In this medium, we can take the time to articulate using the most precise language available the exact nuances of our thought... and we can take the time to decode the occasionally complex resulting phraseology!

Never pass up an opportunity to expand yourself.

I myself routinely use outside reference for assistance, and the long-term result is that I can hold my own in any discussion, and wield to my advantage language both colloquial and formal, as the situation dictates.
At least I can understand this. However I do make point of your statement, "and we can take the time to decode the occasionally complex resulting phraseology" as unnecessary if we simply used common English.:dude:

hunter9mm

imported post

phred wrote:
Sine qua non.

a Latin legal term for "without which it could not be" ("but for"). It refers to an indispensable and essential action, condition, or ingredient.

Yes I did notice that when I looked it up, but, it also is the BattleStar Galactia episode I mentioned (and provided the link) above which is my point exactly.

I am also aware of the acronyms thread in this forum, and I use it every once in a while...

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum2/33553.html

Many acronyms and sayings have more than 1 meaning, not saying we shouldn't use them, but IMHO (Google that one for the several meanings too) as we are "conversing" in a place where we're all supposedly meeting for information and stories of "Like Minded" people, some here go out of their way to impress others with "Copious Vocabularies" when it's plainly not necessary to do so.

Shotgun, nothing personal, JYYC

http://www.acronymfinder.com/

Getting back to Chief Flynn...

Seems as though, his guys have your sidearm, (as he says they should take it first and ask questions later) and he wants to make sure you are allowed to legally possess a firearm, looks like you have no choice but to identify yourself or loose it????

Shotgun

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
imported post

hunter9mm wrote:
Uh, no.... but a few years ago on the streets of Madison I had a young lady run up to me all excited about the pin I was wearing on my lapel. She said "Do you know what that is???!!!" I said, "Yeah, it's military intelligence insignia." She had a hurt look and said "No, it's what the pilots wear on Battlestar Galactica!" Later I checked, and sure enough, the prop people for the show were using MI insignia. More trivia: the medical instruments Dr. McCoy used to hover over his patients on Star Trek: salt shakers.

But, back to our regularly scheduled program....

hunter9mm

imported post

Shotgun wrote:
hunter9mm wrote:
Uh, no.... but a few years ago on the streets of Madison I had a young lady run up to me all excited about the pin I was wearing on my lapel. She said "Do you know what that is???!!!" I said, "Yeah, it's military intelligence insignia." She had a hurt look and said "No, it's what the pilots wear on Battlestar Galactica!" Later I checked, and sure enough, the prop people for the show were using MI insignia. More trivia: the medical instruments Dr. McCoy used to hover over his patients on Star Trek: salt shakers.

But, back to our regularly scheduled program....

Ahhhhh Life IS GOOD!

across Death's Door on Washington Island, Wisconsi
imported post

bigdaddy1 wrote:
However I do make point of your statement, "and we can take the time to decode the occasionally complex resulting phraseology" as unnecessary if we simply used common English.:dude:
Like, you know, "you know", man!

It is nearly ten years since I have seen more than occasional television and five years seeing it only incidentally as in "sports bars". Once English and American-English was rich with regional and specialized variations. Now, no thanks to television and television 'news', your language is of a Valley Girl with an Okie dialect.

Common language leads to common ideation, consensus and systematic errors.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

The problem with "simply using common English" is that it's often not as precise as we may require.

When speaking in person with another, there are all kinds of physical cues, gestures, and expressions which convey meaning contextually, filling in the gaps, so to speak, in our mutual understanding.

Much of this is lost completely on the internet, replaced with a few vague and often irrelevant emoticons. What we are left with is the challenge faced by every scribe of the written word throughout history, of conveying our meaning completely without any gaps to begin with, utilizing nothing but the functions of our mutually understood language.

Many of us resort to less colloquial usage in order to achieve this end, as has a preponderance of the most effective writers throughout history (though generally to far greater effect than in my own case).

So, what you may consider "unnecessary" I might consider one of the defining characteristics of nonvocal-visual communication.

across Death's Door on Washington Island, Wisconsi
imported post

URLs containing "smilie" or "emoticon" go straight to 127.0.0.1 Also "banner", "ad", "doubleclick", "2o7" and on and on... ad nauseam.

ETA: I think some of the problem with discussion forums is the paradigm of American Idiot like TV shows in which the objective is to be so inoffensive and 'likeable' in order to not be voted off the team by the in-crowd and the BMOC/HNIC. This is the origin of the phobia of excellence, exceptional-ism and elitism. And of the phobia of testing that is a fine learning tool.

If one is born and reared differently then one can shrink and hide and wither or one can glory and expand.

MKEgal

Master Doug Huffman said:
... know what over and out means?

Absolutely nothing. That's a phrase from bad movies & cop shows (or, rather, movies & shows where their authenticity checkers aren't up to snuff); never used in real life, as "over" and "out" signal 2 very different things to the person on the other end of the radio.

"Over" = I'm done talking, it's your turn to talk, our conversation continues.
"Out" = I'm done done talking, this conversation is complete, we're not going to talk any more, someone else can use the channel now.

Mlutz

Absolutely nothing. That's a phrase from bad movies & cop shows (or, rather, movies & shows where their authenticity checkers aren't up to snuff); never used in real life, as "over" and "out" signal 2 very different things to the person on the other end of the radio.

"Out" = I'm done done talking, this conversation is complete, we're not going to talk any more, someone else can use the channel now.

Mke, you dug 8 months back to do what exactly... "beat Doug"... ?

nevinsb

But please don't use both in the same line, that's just about as annoying as "Roger, Wilco."

Crassus

Banned
Seems like there are some here that need to get a life rather than just drumming up old arguments. In case some of you haven't noticed the membership count is dwindling here on this site and it probably comes from the personal attacks which I might add have increased since the banning of several people that you all blame the attacks on. Seems to me the Admin banned the wrong people. That is just my observation.

Tweety

Banned
Seems like there are some here that need to get a life rather than just drumming up old arguments. In case some of you haven't noticed the membership count is dwindling here on this site and it probably comes from the personal attacks which I might add have increased since the banning of several people that you all blame the attacks on. Seems to me the Admin banned the wrong people. That is just my observation.

You got that right! I didn't do anything besides post and I was attacked in here but it seems that the administrators and mods only look out for certain ones here. I know it doesn't do a bit of good to report nothin because that is exactly what gets done, nothin.