• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Smith & Wesson 629

Nikki_Black

Saint Francisville, Louisiana, United States
imported post

I've recently procured a 6.5 inch S&W 629 from my Uncle, and I want to get some feedback from all of you.
I plan on loading it with .44 special, with a speed loader of mag rounds in case I have the need for them. (Which I really doubt that I will.) I'll be carrying it in a leather thumb break holster.
Anybody who has one of these firearms knows how big and heavy they are, but I like it and I absolutely trust it to function every time I pull the trigger.
So, here's my question.
Do y'all think that this a suitable handgun for open carry?
I'll end up carrying it regardless, but being young and liking to know people's opinions; I'm asking anyway.
Your replies are very much appreciated.

~Nikki~

Ruger

Occupied Greensboro, North Carolina, United States
imported post

I say "why not?" :)

Although I usually prefer to carry something with higher capacity than a sixgun as my primary, I don't think anyone can argue with it from a stopping power standpoint.

From what I've read on other threads, unless I'm mistaken, your only other gun is a Hi-Point, correct? That being the case, I'd trust the S&W before I risk having a jam at the absolute worst possible time with the HP.

Nikki_Black

imported post

Although I have put 500+ rounds through my Hi-Point, I've never had a jam or FTF. It really is a good gun, but it's hard to find holsters for it. Which is the reason I just keep it in the console of my car. Plus, I just like the S&W more because I'm kind of a revolver nut. :D Though, it's like you said. The sixgun is more reliable, even though my other gun performs flawlessly. It'll never jam, it's easier to strip and clean, and it has more holster options. Plus, it's a much nicer looking firearm. :celebrate

SW629.jpg
S&W 629

hi-point-45-300x225.jpg
HP JHP

Wouldn't you agree?

Ruger

Occupied Greensboro, North Carolina, United States
imported post

Just make sure you practice with that thing at the range w/ .44sp AND a few magnums (as many as your hand can tolerate) since you're planning on carrying the magnums inthe event that you need a reload.It would be good for you to be proficient with both.

PS - I'm jealous ;)

Nikki_Black

imported post

Ruger wrote:
Just make sure you practice with that thing at the range w/ .44sp AND a few magnums (as many as your hand can tolerate) since you're planning on carrying the magnums in the event that you need a reload.  It would be good for you to be proficient with both.

PS - I'm jealous ;)
I'm actually planning on heading down to the range in a few minutes. What's nice about this gun is the fact that it has that Houge overmolded grip on it. Recoil taming fun! I have shot this gun before, it's a very sweet shooter.

As to you being jealous, you'll be even more jealous once you know that I paid $350 for it.

Nikki_Black

imported post

Ruger wrote:
Nikki_Black wrote:
As to you being jealous, you'll be even more jealous once you know that I paid $350 for it.
:what::what::what::what:

OMG....

:banghead:
Hahahaha.
My Uncle is a SA revolver enthusiast, and he bought this from his Brother-in-law. He didn't really want the revolver, but the dude needed the money. Since he's not a DA fan, he decided to sell it to me. That, and I also agreed to help him around his property for the next 8 weekends. haha

45acpForMe

imported post

I have considered getting a 629 but have put it off and put it off. One of these days... :)

The two things to consider are the length of the gun as far as drawing it. A 4" or 5" might be better but the extra inch or two isn't too much to consider not OC-ing it.

The other thing is .44 magnum over penetration. With .44 specials I don't think it would be an issue.

I am torn between getting the 629 "Dirty Harry" gun or staying with the same .45acp in a 625. Either way they are beautiful guns with known quality and reliability.

Nikki_Black

imported post

45acpForMe wrote:
I have considered getting a 629 but have put it off and put it off. One of these days... :)

The two things to consider are the length of the gun as far as drawing it. A 4" or 5" might be better but the extra inch or two isn't too much to consider not OC-ing it.

The other thing is .44 magnum over penetration. With .44 specials I don't think it would be an issue.

I am torn between getting the 629 "Dirty Harry" gun or staying with the same .45acp in a 625. Either way they are beautiful guns with known quality and reliability.

You make a good point on barrel length. It is true that a 4 or 5 inch barrel would be better. Though, it's mainly just a training thing. At least, I think that. Am I right?

45acpForMe

imported post

Nikki_Black wrote:
You make a good point on barrel length. It is true that a 4 or 5 inch barrel would be better. Though, it's mainly just a training thing. At least, I think that. Am I right?
[/quote]

Only my opinion since I don't have anything longer than a 5" barrel (1911) is that training & practice should offset the length of the barrel as far as drawing quickly. The other thing to consider is cross-draw and holster type. Others can chime in that OC longer guns but them right there is my 2cents. :)

Again the shorter barrel "may" be better for self defense OC-ing but barrel length does play a good part in accuracy and speed of the bullet. The shorter the barrel the slower the bullet.

230therapy

imported post

Nikki,

Have you done any training with this weapon?

I just completed my first self-defense course using a revolver (I've been to twelve handgun courses now). There are some significant problems with revolver carry in the context of modern self-defense situations. Capacity is a huge issue, even though revolver enthusiasts insist otherwise. Handgun ballistics being what they are, the odds are you will need to shoot several times very quickly to stop an attack. Second, are you thoroughly familiar with the trigger and able to control the double action trigger both one and two handed? Can you fire rapidly and still hit the cardiac triangle? Are your double tap groups tight? Finally, have you practiced your reloads while stationary and on the move (the "New York Reload" is a very attractive option)? I found that some serious time needs to go into training in order to operate these guns efficiently. I don't recommend them at all unless the OC'er knows what he or she is doing.

3guns.jpg

S&W 627 TRR8 (bottom), S&W 625 (middle), S&W Model 27 Registered Magnum

The TRR8 shot the best overall and is setup for defense. The black front sights of the 625 and 27 disappeared into the target. Make sure to replace the stock front sight with a white dot, gold bead or night sight. Also have some trigger work done by S&W. It makes the gun more controllable for fast shooting. Their prices are reasonable and the results were quite good.

In the course, I found the M27 to be the most "handy" with its 3.5" barrel. The 4" barrel on the 625 was fine too. If I were going to carry a revolver, I'd use the Model 27, add front and rear night sights and have the trigger worked. I'd carry heavy 357 magnum rounds with two spare moonclips of eight shots each. I would also attend at least one more gun course and fire at least 2,000 rounds in a training context outside of class.

Nikki_Black

imported post

230therapy wrote:
Nikki,

Have you done any training with this weapon?

I just completed my first self-defense course using a revolver (I've been to twelve handgun courses now).  There are some significant problems with revolver carry in the context of modern self-defense situations.  Capacity is a huge issue, even though revolver enthusiasts insist otherwise.  Handgun ballistics being what they are, the odds are you will need to shoot several times very quickly to stop an attack.  Second, are you thoroughly familiar with the trigger and able to control the double action trigger both one and two handed?  Can you fire rapidly and still hit the cardiac triangle?  Are your double tap groups tight?  Finally, have you practiced your reloads while stationary and on the move (the "New York Reload" is a very attractive option)?  I found that some serious time needs to go into training in order to operate these guns efficiently.  I don't recommend them at all unless the OC'er knows what he or she is doing.

3guns.jpg

S&W 627 TRR8 (bottom), S&W 625 (middle), S&W Model 27 Registered Magnum

The TRR8 shot the best overall and is setup for defense.  The black front sights of the 625 and 27 disappeared into the target.  Make sure to replace the stock front sight with a white dot, gold bead or night sight.  Also have some trigger work done by S&W.  It makes the gun more controllable for fast shooting.  Their prices are reasonable and the results were quite good.

In the course, I found the M27 to be the most "handy" with its 3.5" barrel.  The 4" barrel on the 625 was fine too.  If I were going to carry a revolver, I'd use the Model 27, add front and rear night sights and have the trigger worked.  I'd carry heavy 357 magnum rounds with two spare moonclips of eight shots each.  I would also attend at least one more gun course and fire at least 2,000 rounds in a training context outside of class.
I am very familiar with revolvers, this one specifically. I do think I need more training. Cause you can never be too familiar with a weapon.

marrero jeff

imported post

you got a great deal on the revolver, i love the long barreled versions. in regards to carry though, i think a shoulder rig will be much more practical and comfortable.

Don Barnett

imported post

I would practice drawing it; a long barreled handgun is like drawing a sword: it takes a while before it is clear of the leather.

A big gun like that would certainly scare off someone without having to fire a shot. That in my opinion, is a great reason to carry something that big.

Can you comfortably carry it around all day without it seeming to be a boat anchor? A good holster and stiff belt helps a lot.

.44 Specials would be the thing to carry for personal defense.

Nikki_Black

imported post

rugerdon wrote:
I would practice drawing it; a long barreled handgun is like drawing a sword: it takes a while before it is clear of the leather.

A big gun like that would certainly scare off someone without having to fire a shot.  That in my opinion, is a great reason to carry something that big.

Can you comfortably carry it around all day without it seeming to be a boat anchor?  A good holster and stiff belt helps a lot.

.44 Specials would be the thing to carry for personal defense.
I've got an Uncle Mike's holster for it. I carried it all day today without any trouble. I'm a decently sized dude. 5' 9" 230lbs. Didn't really get too heavy wearing it crossdraw style.

45acpForMe

imported post

629.jpg

Nice looking gun. (I find myself looking at kwikrnu's picture longer though) :)

I never could decide between the look of the regular 629 and classic 629. I haven't shot one but my thoughts are the one like you have would have more felt recoil than a classic (less steel) but would be lighter to carry each day.

Here is a pic of one I was drooling over on gunbroker.com until someone that actually had the money bought it. :-( While this one isn't "regular" or "classic", it is definitely a work of art. I have shot one similar to this and when you fire it, it feels like a firm handshake!

Last edited: